News from Big East Media Day in NYC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

News from Big East Media Day in NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Astute is clearly what we're talking about.

But actually, it ain't all THAT astute. Seems obvious to me. But, apparently some people are convined that Maya carried last year's team all by her lonesome. SHE knows that's not the case, and I believe her.

This team has 7 (8? -- 4 sophs, kelly, tiff, heather, plus inactive caroline) who lost 2 (TWO!) games last season returning. Four of them starters. Plus, they add 3 outstanding recruits. Yet their fans don't tbink they'll be all that great, huh?

That's a tad pessimistic, dont ya think? Especially considering the coaching staff and simple history. Guess some BYers are gonna get very surprised at how good this team is gonna be.

I'm sure most UConn fans are optimistic but, speaking for myself, I imagined that the coaches voting for the various BEast teams would be less so. I thought that they would see ND's performance in the NCAA tournament and the fact that most of the key players are returning for the Irish put them in a stronger position than a UConn team that lost Maya Moore (who, I'm quite sure, most of them were happy to see graduate).

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm sure most UConn fans are optimistic but, speaking for myself, I imagined that the coaches voting for the various BEast teams would be less so. I thought that they would see ND's performance in the NCAA tournament and the fact that most of the key players are returning for the Irish put them in a stronger position than a UConn team that lost Maya Moore (who, I'm quite sure, most of them were happy to see graduate).

I agree. Like you Nan, I expected one maybe two votes for preseason #1, including Muffet's. I was okay with that even though I'm a big believer in this year's team. I was stunned to see seven #1 votes. I'm interested in knowing what Harry P had to say about UConn and ND and which team he voted for. In Harry's opinion, I trust; it's his hair that needs work.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Coming from another direction, what BEast center is seen as more deserving than Ms. Honorable Mention Dolson?
What does Ms. Alexander bring that is better than Stef?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree. Like you Nan, I expected one maybe two votes for preseason #1, including Muffet's. I was okay with that even though I'm a big believer in this year's team. I was stunned to see seven #1 votes. I'm interested in knowing what Harry P had to say about UConn and ND and which team he voted for. In Harry's opinion, I trust; it's his hair that needs work.
+1

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I am reminded of just what an optimist is: One who is nostalgic about the future. Or, in Mark Twain's view, "Day-dreamer, more elegantly spelled."

A pessimist, of course, is an optimist with experience. Red Sox fans (me among them) will attest to that.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Who wants the shot with the game on the line? Definitely Bria Hartley and also Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis.

I won't make that assumption about Kaleena. Hope you're prophetic. And, I'm not certain Bria wants that shot. But for sure she does not shirk it, and her performance is brilliant in that situation. She has many talents, but that ability to come through when everything is on the line is her most impressive quality, really standing out. Some people just excel when the pressure is greatest. She seems to be one, and stirs memories of DT. There seems to magic about them.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I won't make that assumption about Kaleena. Hope you're prophetic. And, I'm not certain Bria wants that shot. But for sure she does not shirk it, and her performance is brilliant in that situation. She has many talents, but that ability to come through when everything is on the line is her most impressive quality, really standing out. Some people just excel when the pressure is greatest. She seems to be one, and stirs memories of DT. There seems to magic about them.
Kaleena is the new DT. She's been doing it for 3 years. She is totally cool and confident--and she'll nail FTs with the game on the line too. It's why she has the reputation that she does. In terms of clutch shooters, she's right there with Michael Jordan, Reggie Miller, and Ray Allen. She does not have their longevity yet, but she's on her way.

Reaction Score
I'm kind of surprised that at who expected Notre Dame to get nearly all of the first place votes. I assumed at least significant minority of coaches would recognize that UConn was still the top to bottom most talented team in the Big East. The results are about what I expected.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I really dont care about polls. I think this board can make their own poll and it will be almost perfect. Dolsen HM. Youve got to be kidding. Is this politics? Griner Bone and Dolsen are the 3 top post players in WCBB with Dolsen having the best fundementals. She is the number one post player in the BE and it aint close.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Coming from another direction, what BEast center is seen as more deserving than Ms. Honorable Mention Dolson?
What does Ms. Alexander bring that is better than Stef?

I'm not going to say Alexander is better than Dolson, but Alexander is, nonetheless, very good.

Last year:

Alexander: 14.8ppg, 6.9rpg, 91 blocks, 25.5mpg
Dolson: 10.2 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 46 blocks, 24.2mpg

Reaction Score
hmm, are those the figures from the entire season or only for Big East games? I had no idea Alexander's stats were so good. Based upon them, it seems correct that she was given the nod over Stef.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
hmm, are those the figures from the entire season or only for Big East games? I had no idea Alexander's stats were so good. Based upon them, it seems correct that she was given the nod over Stef.

Alexander did have a very good freshman year. The All BE team includes 10 players so it's okay to have two centers. I would have included Stef over either Smith or Stevens of St John's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom