New York Giants - 2020 Draft Night | The Boneyard

New York Giants - 2020 Draft Night

Reaction Score
Alright, it's draft-day. Sadly for us Giants fans, around week 8 this is the night that we look to as our Super Bowl Sunday.

Before I hit on the G-men, let's talk about the top 3 teams above us - Cincinnati, Washington and Detroit (for now).

While most people assume that Cincinnati is taking Joe Burrow at 1 and Washington is taking Chase Young at 2, there are rumors that Miami may trade up to 3 where Detroit is currently slotted. Even crazier are the rumors by Ian Rappaport and others that they would take an OT at that spot.

I personally can't believe that. I think they want to ensure the Chargers or Jacksonville, or whomever doesn't leap them to get their QB. There's a lot of smoke on that one and the ramifications for the Giants could be interesting as that could suddenly put in play someone who has been ticketed to Detroit for months - Ohio State CB Jeff Okudah - who is widely regarded as the best CB to enter the NFL in years. With Bradbury on one side, Okudah on the other, and a guy like Baker who improved in the second half of the year - well all of a sudden the Giants secondary could be a HUGE strength over the next 3+ years.

Or do the Giants go Clemson swiss-army knife LB/S Isiah Simmons who has the ability to play in several spots on the field?

Or do they finally go get the OT Hog Mollie - there are 4 of them - that Gettleman has been clamoring for.

Either way, the Giants pick 4th AS OF NOW. Gettleman has basically told the world he would trade down if the price is right. The thought is that with four good OT on the board in the top 10, if NY can trade down to 6-10, he can still get a good OT and pick up an extra pick in the 2nd and/or 3rd round. Maybe the Chargers make an offer. Hell if Jacksonville has a big time crush on someone up top maybe they are desperate enough to give us their 9 and 20 for the 4 pick??

Regardless of a trade-down, at the end of the day I see Gettleman not only going OT in the first round but also going C in the 2nd round to really double down.
A top OT to go along with the 1st or 2nd best center in the class would be a massive jolt that this O-line has needed for many years. More holes for Barkley? check. More time for Daniel Jones in the pocket? check.

Of course one thing we know is Gettleman won't take the guy the draft experts think he is SUPPOSED to take.

Feel free to share your predictions and observations here.

1587621586590.png

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
If I’m the giants getting Simmons or Okuda I round 1 and peart/Cleveland in round 2 to fill the tackle void is a much better use of resources than Whirfs and a defender. Even though whirfs is obviously a better tackle than peart.

Reaction Score
I'm going to be disappointed when they don't trade down to take him, but it's going to be Wirfs

Reaction Score
If they don't trade down its because no one is offering much. They're trying.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Only the giants could reach for a QB and then have tua miraculously fall into their laps the following year...

Reaction Score
Thomas is interesting. I don't love, don't hate it. Just an interesting pick

Reaction Score
I guess this is what happens when you hire a GM fired by the panthers. Unbelievable.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I actually really like the pick and wouldn't be surprised if Thomas turns out to be a top 5 player in the draft.

Why not trade down, though? Giants have plenty of depth issues that an extra 2nd day pick could help with. Thomas or a similarly elite tackle would still have been there a couple picks later.

Reaction Score
This morning the Miami Dolphins beat writer was saying that one of three consistent things he heard around the league was that the Giants were in love with Thomas and he knew the Dolphins really lusted after him too. Perhaps that was what those rumors of Miami trading over the Giants to get an OT were all about. Of course a trade never materialized and he's a Giant.

But who knows with all the games played with rumors and misdirection.

Go grab a top center in round 2 and lets go. I'd love to see Barkley run behind a competent line and get some holes for him to take off.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I actually really like the pick and wouldn't be surprised if Thomas turns out to be a top 5 player in the draft.

Why not trade down, though? Giants have plenty of depth issues that an extra 2nd day pick could help with. Thomas or a similarly elite tackle would still have been there a couple picks later.
I agree. Showed game clips. This guy is quick for 315 pounds. Also, hasn't this been the position that we (I will speak for myself) were complaining about the Offensive line? For a couple years at least?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom