OT: - New war movie | The Boneyard

OT: New war movie

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
There is a good movie airing on Prime titled "Danger Close". It is the retelling of the Battle of Long Tan in Vietnam in 1966. The Delta company of the 1st ATF ,consisting of 108 young Australian and New Zealand recruits, ended up in the field facing 2500 North Vietnamese and Viet Cong. The battle was quite bloody , and the ATF were nearly over run after expending their ammunition. The story is based on a book written by the experienced Major Smith who managed to hold his troops together until they were relieved by a group of APCs eventually sent out from base to rescue what was left of Delta. Of course the casualty rate was high. but the fact that any of them got out is amazing. Apparently there were some controversial issues that the Australian government kept classified until 1993. It always gets to me when they roll the actual footage and the list of those who died. They were the same age as the girls on the Husky basketball team.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
It's a great one Kaizen. Shot in Pittsburgh and showing the really gritty parts of the city. One of the best casts ever for any movie.
It is ironic that with all the steel mills in the Pittsburgh area, the majority of the mill scenes in "The Deer Hunter" were filmed in Mingo Junction, Oh. What was originally a Carnegie Corp. facility became part of Wheeling-Pittsburgh Steel . The mill was bought by Severstal and closed in about 2005. Last year an Indian steel producer started to reopen it , but the economy once again forced a setback. Although the film was set in Clairton, Pa. the actual filming took place in a variety of sites across Western Pa, eastern Ohio, and at Mount Baker in Washington. The Vietnamese scenes were filmed in Thailand. And Christopher Walken's funeral was filmed in McKeesport. Pa at the Pennsylvania Versailles Cemetery which is in view of U S Steel's old National Works. That movie was like going home to me!

Last edited:

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
The new Tom Hanks WWII movie "Greyhound" is supposed to be very good. But it's on Apple TV? Who subscribes to that? So, not many people will actually get to see this movie.

Reaction Score
It's a great one Kaizen. Shot in Pittsburgh and showing the really gritty parts of the city. One of the best casts ever for any movie.
The Deer Hunter won 5 Oscars:
1. Best Supporting Actor, Christopher Walken
2. Best Director, Michael Cimino
3. Best Editing, Peter Zinner
4. Best Picture, Barry Spikings, Michael Deeley, Michael Cimino, John Peverall
5. Best Sound, Richard Portman, William L. McCaughey, Aaron Rochin, C. Darin Knight

Although most people think Robert De Niro and Meryl Streep should win the Best Actor and Best supporting actor, They both lost to Jon Voight and Jane Fonda at Coming Home.

Coming Home is another good war movie ...

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Shot in Pittsburgh and showing the really gritty parts of the city.

Except for the parts that were shot in Washington State, that is supposed to still be in Pennsylvania or upstate New York or something? That cracks me up. First time I was watching it, I about fell out of my chair when they drove out of the city to go hunting and ended up by Mt. Baker. No glaciated mountains anywhere on the East Coast.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Except for the parts that were shot in Washington State, that is supposed to still be in Pennsylvania or upstate New York or something? That cracks me up. First time I was watching it, I about fell out of my chair when they drove out of the city to go hunting and ended up by Mt. Baker. No glaciated mountains anywhere on the East Coast.
They never said how far they drove! ;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I had the privilege of meeting General Hal Moore a few years after this movie based on his experiences in Vietnam was made. Mel Gibson played Hal Moore in the movie and General Moore actually made a cameo appearance in the movie. There has arguably never been a greater leader in our nation's history than General Moore.

Reaction Score
I had the privilege of meeting General Hal Moore a few years after this movie based on his experiences in Vietnam was made. Mel Gibson played Hal Moore in the movie and General Moore actually made a cameo appearance in the movie. There has arguably never been a greater leader in our nation's history than General Moore.

My dad went to UConn for three years before entering West Point in 1942. He graduated with General Moore in 1945. They worked together years later. Gen. Moore was the first member of his class to be promoted to Brigadier General, Major General and Lt. General. "We Were Soldiers Once (and Young)" was a great (but hard to watch if you're not fond of realistic war injuries) movie that showed the courage of then-Colonel Moore and the men who served under him.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

General Schwarzkoph wasn't too bad. Wish Bush 1 had gone on for another 30 days and taken care of Iraq's Republican Guard and done more protection for the Kurdish people in the North.

Bama fan

Reaction Score

Lt. General Hal Moore died here in Alabama in 2017. I too had the pleasure of meeting him briefly at a small gathering years ago. He spoke of his service generally, of his devotion to honor and duty, and how we all must "serve" our country and honor our fallen countrymen. He was impressive and unassuming at the same time. That is quite a rare quality for a man to possess. This was after his book was published and sometime in the mid nineties.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
General Schwarzkoph wasn't too bad. Wish Bush 1 had gone on for another 30 days and taken care of Iraq's Republican Guard and done more protection for the Kurdish people in the North.
In 1954, then Major Moore returned to West Point and served for three years as an instructor in infantry tactics. While serving as an instructor, Moore taught Cadet Norman Schwarzkopf among many others.

Reaction Score
Not everyone likes the OT posts, but where else to learn sooo much about a great movie that you didn't know or even know you should know? Consider all the posts above Liked.

Reaction Score
If and when I see a "war movie", I usually sit there and point out everything wrong to my wife. Some are very realistic and some are Hollywood plus 10. For many vets like me, we have a war movie going on in our heads every day and it gets played over and over again. Different days and different scenes. None of them end very well.

Reaction Score
If and when I see a "war movie", I usually sit there and point out everything wrong to my wife. Some are very realistic and some are Hollywood plus 10. For many vets like me, we have a war movie going on in our heads every day and it gets played over and over again. Different days and different scenes. None of them end very well.
I opened Boneyard to start a whiny little thread on the WNBA practice of having almost no team identifiers to help the viewer. Not where the score is shown, not on uniforms. You have to know team colors and logos.

Read VOD's post and decided that was just so much piffle in comparison to what he said. I'm truly sorry VOD that you have to live with the reality of what war is. Which is people dying. The reasons for why people are sent to war may be good, bad or indifferent, but bullets and bombs don't care, they just kill and main. I've watched my share of violent movies, some that were very good, most not. I'd prefer living in a world that didn't find violence to be so damn entertaining. And no, I don't buy that depicting some approximation of what war is enlightens the masses. All Quiet On The Western Front was good literature and a good flick. How many future wars did it prevent. Zero.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
"Saving Private Ryan" kinda blew me away. I watch a few war movies, but they're kinda overwhelming to me often times. I watch plenty of mindless violence, but the real stuff, where young men died by the thousands, is too much to watch sometimes.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Has anyone sat through that twice?

I honestly couldn't sit thru it once. I'd seen bits and pieces on TV. I think I got the DVD from Netflix. Tried to watch. The wedding scene just would not end. Gave up on it, fast forwarded to the scenes shot here in Washington, then called it good.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The Deer Hunter won 5 Oscars:
1. Best Supporting Actor, Christopher Walken
2. Best Director, Michael Cimino
3. Best Editing, Peter Zinner
4. Best Picture, Barry Spikings, Michael Deeley, Michael Cimino, John Peverall
5. Best Sound, Richard Portman, William L. McCaughey, Aaron Rochin, C. Darin Knight

Although most people think Robert De Niro and Meryl Streep should win the Best Actor and Best supporting actor, They both lost to Jon Voight and Jane Fonda at Coming Home.

Coming Home is another good war movie ...
Has anyone sat through that twice?
I have.
I honestly couldn't sit thru it once. I'd seen bits and pieces on TV. I think I got the DVD from Netflix. Tried to watch. The wedding scene just would not end. Gave up on it, fast forwarded to the scenes shot here in Washington, then called it good.
I watch in theater to the end. When I left the theater I found I need a drink ...

Thought we had discussed it here in recent years:

Thanks to @whaler11 for cluing me in to the Xfinity remote's great movie guide feature a few months ago, I have been watching a ton more movies simply because it is much more easy to browse them. Rewatched two classics recently, Rocky the other night and The Deer Hunter last night.

Both as tremendously compelling as I remembered, but the thing about which I am constantly reminded now is how much patience is lacking in most current day movies. I mean, the wedding scene alone in The Deer Hunter is longer than many movies. And it is so nuanced and foreshadows so much. As I watched I couldn't help but wonder if a single one of my kids could make it through the movie. Also still very tough to watch many of the torture scenes.

What a stacked cast and amazingly layered movie though. They truly don't make 'em like that any more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom