New UConn Men’s Soccer Coach - Chris Gbandi | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New UConn Men’s Soccer Coach - Chris Gbandi

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I find an endorsement from Reid irrelevant. It would be a "Richard" move to not support a former player.
Not sure the field hockey coaching choice was a good one. They appear to have taken a small step back. Hope that's as far as they go backwards. Women's soccer looks to be heading in the right direction, but that one is still TBD.

Reaction Score
You’ve been miserable all season. They make a move in the right direction and you’re still miserable. Let’s take a deep breath and give AD David Benedict the benefit of the doubt. He’s earned it given EVERY move he’s made since he’s been on board.

For the first time in my lifetime (I'm 40), field hockey, men's soccer, and women's soccer all missed postseason in the same year. Seeing I'm in this for wins, yeah I guess I had a good reason to be upset all season.

Edsall was a terrible hire. Disastrous even. 3 cornerstone championship level athletic programs at UConn since the early 80's were given the cost cutter discount coaching hire on his watch with mixed (at best) results.

His good is good (Big East, axing Ollie for Hurley, facilities). Mora is TBA. He's mixed so far.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
A few thoughts:

1. The effort put into finding a coach doesn’t seem to match the effort out into building out the facilities. Disappointing.

2. Who cares who Reid does or does not endorse?

3. Chris’ hometown has perhaps the most unique name I have seen: Bong Mines.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wow. Surprised at the universal panning of this hire. There are only a handful of elite soccer coaches in the US. As a international player, Hermann winner, and National champion, you'd think he'd get more love.

I'm not saying Northeaster is a soccer desert, but facilities and tradition play huge in Olympic sports. I think he there is a chance he could attract top talent given time. I'm fairly confident he knows the game. The fact he did turn around NU, is a plus in my book.

My only problem with family hires is that they can end badly, but is anyone really going to be upset if he gets fired in a few years? This isn't a KO dividing the family situation.
Agree. It is highly unlikely he will do things that warrant a three-year show cause penalty. If he is discharged, it likely would not be for cause and in any recent his buyout would not be as expensive, but we are doing him a disservice talking about the terms of his removal before he’s even coached a single game for us. My presumption is he will be successful and be with us for a long time, like his predecessors.

CL82

Reaction Score
For the first time in my lifetime (I'm 40), field hockey, men's soccer, and women's soccer all missed postseason in the same year. Seeing I'm in this for wins, yeah I guess I had a good reason to be upset all season.

Edsall was a terrible hire. Disastrous even. 3 cornerstone championship level athletic programs at UConn since the early 80's were given the cost cutter discount coaching hire on his watch with mixed (at best) results.

His good is good (Big East, axing Ollie for Hurley, facilities). Mora is TBA. He's mixed so far.
How is Mora mixed? I think it’s fair to say he’s unproven, but so far he’s been hitting it out of the park, the Spanos higher notwithstanding.

CL82

Reaction Score
I find an endorsement from Reid irrelevant. It would be a "Richard" move to not support a former player.
Not sure the field hockey coaching choice was a good one. They appear to have taken a small step back. Hope that's as far as they go backwards. Women's soccer looks to be heading in the right direction, but that one is still TBD.
It’s probably unrealistic to expect whomever replaced Nancy Stevens not to miss a step. She’s one of the best ever coach the game.

Reaction Score
How is Mora mixed? I think it’s fair to say he’s unproven, but so far he’s been hitting it out of the park, the Spanos higher notwithstanding.

I said Mora was TBA. Which he is. He hasn't coached a game yet. Hitting it out of the park? Because of twitter? AD Dave spent all week tweeting up a storm only for the men to lay an egg in a sellout game. This week was the perfect metaphor for his tenure. Good at the superficial. But not getting enough W's.

CL82

Reaction Score
I said Mora was TBA. Which he is. He hasn't coached a game yet. Hitting it out of the park? Because of twitter? AD Dave spent all week tweeting up a storm only for the men to lay an egg in a sellout game. This week was the perfect metaphor for his tenure. Good at the superficial. But not getting enough W's.
Did you mean TBD, to be decided?

In any event, he hasn’t coached a game yet, nor should he have yet. That’s not a negative. You can only judge him by the things he’s had the opportunity to do. He generated enthusiasm, took every opportunity to publicly promote the team at games and events, got back some key decommits and had a decent early signing period. So far, he’s doing well.

We agree that in the end he needs to make us a competitive program and win games. But you can’t judge him on that until he has the opportunity to do so.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I think that Chris may turn out to be a good coach - down the road
After the last few seasons, this program needs someone who will immediately turn the program around to where it once enjoyed - not sure Chris is that guy.
I am not against Chris at all but this shows me that AD David Benedict was not very interested in working hard in filling the position and made what he felt was a safe bet and probably saved a lot of money
I wish Chris all the best here in Storrs
I would be interested in seeing who some other candidates may have been and who was involved in the process

Reaction Score
I think that Chris may turn out to be a good coach - down the road
After the last few seasons, this program needs someone who will immediately turn the program around to where it once enjoyed - not sure Chris is that guy.
I am not against Chris at all but this shows me that AD David Benedict was not very interested in working hard in filling the position and made what he felt was a safe bet and probably saved a lot of money
I wish Chris all the best here in Storrs
I would be interested in seeing who some other candidates may have been and who was involved in the process
I've heard UNH HC, Akron HC and Quinnipiac HC were all finalists, and this is who Benedict hires.

Reaction Score
Dave Benedict doesn't do things half ass. Chris Gbandi emerged from what had to be an intense search well-networked. Sure we had alternatives. But this is OUR coach ... and it was time to transition past Ray Reid. STFU with this language. I think this is a good result. YES. Gbandi has to know the change has to be immediate.

Reaction Score
Dave Benedict doesn't do things half ass. Chris Gbandi emerged from what had to be an intense search well-networked. Sure we had alternatives. But this is OUR coach ... and it was time to transition past Ray Reid. STFU with this language. I think this is a good result. YES. Gbandi has to know the change has to be immediate.
is Gbandi really a transition from RR? Not buying it, it smacks of RR being involved in picking his successor.

Reaction Score
is Gbandi really a transition from RR? Not buying it, it smacks of RR being involved in picking his successor.

He has such a broad experience over the last 20 years; and NOT Ray Reid. He has the UCONN passion you want ... but also wide networked relationships with academies and guys throughout the sport. I don't just want a Me Too program. I want to compete for National Championships.

Thus. Dave Benedict works with Calhoun, Hurley, Stevens, Auriemma. Benedict knows the expectations of the UCONN stakeholders. Given the personality, I don't believe Benedict involved Ray Reid in "picking" his successor

Reaction Score

Obviously you have facts on your side when you need to resort to the convincing STFU.

But no. We won't. I am taking emotion out of this and looking at the facts.

Gbandi's resume didn't even meet the preferred qualifications in UConn's own job posting. That called for a coach who made multiple NCAA tournaments and whose program had a history of finishing in the top 25 RPI. Gbandi doesn't come close to meeting that.

Gbandi's 6 years at Northeastern-
2021- 11-6-2
Spring 2021- 0-5-1
2019- 6-9-3
2018- 6-9-1
2017- 3-12-3
2016- 6-11

He never won a game in the conference CAA tournament. No NCAA appearances. 1 winning season.

This resume wouldn't have even gotten him in the door for an interview had he not been a former UConn player under Reid. So his connection to Reid in some way got him this job.

Those are facts. Benedict either struck gold. Or made one of the more offensive nepotism hires you can make. We will know the answer soon enough.

Reaction Score
1000% agreed. our expectations went up when job posting was listed as having those preferred qualifications. And you are absolutely correct, if you remove the name from the resume above you don't even request an interview much less offer him the job.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

You think because your teams don't win in a given season is a good reason to be upset? Really?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Obviously you have facts on your side when you need to resort to the convincing STFU.

Gbandi's resume didn't even meet the preferred qualifications in UConn's own job posting. That called for a coach who made multiple NCAA tournaments and whose program had a history of finishing in the top 25 RPI. Gbandi doesn't come close to meeting that.

2021- 11-6-2
Spring 2021- 0-5-1
2019- 6-9-3
2018- 6-9-1
2017- 3-12-3
2016- 6-11

He never won a game in the conference CAA tournament. No NCAA appearances. 1 winning season.

This resume wouldn't have even gotten him in the door for an interview had he not been a former UConn player under Reid. So his connection to Reid in some way got him this job.

Those are facts. Benedict either struck gold. Or made one of the more offensive nepotism hires you can make. We will know the answer soon enough.
Your own data shows a hot coach on the come.

Reaction Score
as a serious person ... I don't think Ray Reid had an awful lot of influence on AD David Benedict's process. You can forget that chestnut you tossed out. Benedict is in a good spot. He had plenty of time and is networked in CT and in AD nationally. He chose Gbandi because he has successfully selected coaches at our school and is grounded. Auriemma probably has as much say in those buildings as Reid.

Reaction Score
I am open to Gbandi being a good choice.

But when you say something like he "has successfully selected coaches at our school" that of course is not true in every case. Do you consider Randy Edsall to be one of his successful selections?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He has such a broad experience over the last 20 years; and NOT Ray Reid. He has the UCONN passion you want ... but also wide networked relationships with academies and guys throughout the sport. I don't just want a Me Too program. I want to compete for National Championships.

Thus. Dave Benedict works with Calhoun, Hurley, Stevens, Auriemma. Benedict knows the expectations of the UCONN stakeholders. Given the personality, I don't believe Benedict involved Ray Reid in "picking" his successor
If in fact Jared Embick and Marc Hubbard were in fact finalists, as I heard through my grapevine - AD David Benedict swung and missed
BTW - he has swung and missed quite a few times in the past
I have no idea what your comment means when you say he works with JC, GA, DH et al means. He chose one - Hurley - and that was an absolute no brainer because JC made it so. With the exception of recruiting, the jury on DH, by people who know the sport, is still out deliberating.
I know Chris, worked with him at a few camps, very talented, very personable and level headed. He could prove to be a very successful coach but he is basically untested and it will take him time to get the program back to where it should be. I am not against him being chosen IF Chris was the strongest of those being considered. He does have good connections in New England.
Marc and Jared are far and away better coaches to date with proven track records who could turn this program around on a dime. If either showed a thread of interest, DB blew it.
BTW - DB knows zero soccer and has few connections in that area. Was he involved in choosing a soccer coach at Auburn where they don't have a mens soccer program? - I am hoping he picked Ray's brain and if he didn't that is another swing and miss

I wish all the best for Coach Gbandi and the UConn Mens Soccer program

Happy Holidays

Reaction Score

2021- 11-6-2
Spring 2021- 0-5-1
2019- 6-9-3
2018- 6-9-1
2017- 3-12-3
2016- 6-11

you STFU

You're nothing but a sour person. A Connecticut curmudgeon.

The key here is Northeastern, as touched on above. They are a wealthy resource rich University that has never put any money into athletics. In any sport. Gbandi has a major University and one of the finest facilities in the US and a ready attendance - despite years of woeful performance by Ray. A little bit of marketing ... maybe announcing recruits well in advance of first day of camp; things that I believe Reid could care less about.

If you are gonna whine about Benedict hires - in spite of obvious contra logic - I am gonna pushback. This AD/AD is in a good place. We can be certain, given who DB is, he understands the UCONN Soccer legacy (including 2 past coaches with NC) and wants a program of excellence. I can assure my fellow BY that Benedict would interview and network and think this hire extensively; one he certainly knew about for months. This is not a knee jerk move and CERTAINLY not one that Ray Reid was allowed to bless. That's not DB nor UCONN after Ollie.

My favorite sport when I was at UCONN was Men's soccer. I desperately want us to compete at the highest level. I will go to games.

Reaction Score
I knew it.

It was obvious. I point out the obvious. And I get all these emotional responses white knighting DB and saying he would never cow to Reid or be influenced by his “blessing”. Well. There it is by Amore.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom