New! Pod Previewing UConn-Miami with Josh Pastner | The Boneyard

New! Pod Previewing UConn-Miami with Josh Pastner

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
@gwhuskyfan nice job as always with the podcast and with being able to line up good guests like Josh Pastner.

I appreciate his analysis, and I think it provides some valuable insight into the strengths of both teams. I wasn't thrilled to see how fondly he recollected beating UConn on Senior Day at UConn while coaching at Memphis. ;)

The pattern I've noticed from the opening round has been that many/most of the pundits (and some UConn fans) seem to be saying, in paraphrase, that the Huskies will be fortunate to win. I heard it with Iona, St. Mary's, Arkansas, Gonzaga, and now with Miami. I'm not saying Pastner said that necessarily, but I've been it hearing quite a bit. Now some are saying UConn is not really a "blue blood" or a top tier program. And that's fine. I don't mind us being overlooked or underestimated. I am expecting a good game here and a great effort from the Huskies. They will have had ample time for rest and preparation come Saturday when they face the Hurricanes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I do think Miami is our toughest match up thus far. Even when Texas was up and knowing Houston would be a home game for them, I was hoping U.T. would win for that reason.
Toughest match-up and best team can be two different things. I also think their team togetherness and spirit comes close to matching ours and I have not seen that with our other opponents.

Reaction Score
@gwhuskyfan nice job as always with the podcast and with being able to line up good guests like Josh Pastner.

I appreciate his analysis, and I think it provides some valuable insight into the strengths of both teams. I wasn't thrilled to see how fondly he recollected beating UConn on Senior Day at UConn while coaching at Memphis. ;)

The pattern I've noticed from the opening round has been that many/most of the pundits (and some UConn fans) seem to be saying, in paraphrase, that the Huskies will be fortunate to win. I heard it with Iona, St. Mary's, Arkansas, Gonzaga, and now with Miami. I'm not saying Pastner said that necessarily, but I've been it hearing quite a bit. Now some are saying UConn is not really a "blue blood" or a top tier program. And that's fine. I don't mind us being overlooked or underestimated. I am expecting a good game here and a great effort from the Huskies. They will have had ample time for rest and preparation come Saturday when they face the Hurricanes.
I‘m pretty sure this pattern you’ve noticed is not actually real.

Reaction Score
google doodle GIF by G1ft3d

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Nice job getting Pastner on the podcast @gwhuskyfan. Getting Omier in foul trouble is obvious. We always look to do that to every opponent. I think we can and we will. The main takeaway Josh hit on is that these Miami guards/wings are one on one players who can create off broken plays. Verry different than the two WCC teams we played. Arkansas has some of that too though, and we did limit those guys. It will be a challenge and a priority to force those to be difficult shots and to dominate the defensive boards.

Reaction Score
Nice job getting Pastner on the podcast @gwhuskyfan. Getting Omier in foul trouble is obvious. We always look to do that to every opponent. I think we can and we will. The main takeaway Josh hit on is that these Miami guards/wings are one on one players who can create off broken plays. Verry different than the two WCC teams we played. Arkansas has some of that too though, and we did limit those guys. It will be a challenge and a priority to force those to be difficult shots and to dominate the defensive boards.
Diff is Miami guards can shoot....unlike Arkansas

Reaction Score
also think their team togetherness and spirit comes close to matching ours
this is very surprising given wong's threatened holdout prior to the season for not being paid as much as pack

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Agreed. The pundits on ESPN picked UConn to the championship game and/or winning it before the tourney started.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure you're imagining it's not real.

Reaction Score
The teams that give us trouble are the ones where up to three guys can take us off the dribble. Donovan Clingan can sometimes impact this type of game with his shot blocking.

Reaction Score
this is very surprising given wong's threatened holdout prior to the season for not being paid as much as pack
We are a long way from something that happen pre season with one player.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The teams that give us trouble are the ones where up to three guys can take us off the dribble. Donovan Clingan can sometimes impact this type of game with his shot blocking.
Sure. And Pastner said mixing zones was effective. Maybe we can see a zone with Johnson also in. That will deter some shots. I do think even our normal rotation changes at the 5 will give them a wildly different look.

But I think we've gotten smarter about this too. Past issues: (a) trailing defender fouls from behind (b) rim protector fouls or (c) it's largely uncontested. Much of that stemmed from getting burned on PnR. With the Big East bigs, we have to take the screener.

I've seen our guards be more disciplined in not getting behind their man, going under screens, especially when Sanogo hedges. "Oh no, that opens up a pick and roll!" Not with Miami it doesn't. I'm not worried about it all with them. So we angle the drivers out, and they have to take distant, acrobatic layups going out of bounds. Kokek must have made 3-4 of those in the BE Championship game, but it's still a low quality shot. If they drive in we can take charges, and we've had a lot more of those lately.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom