New Pep Band Location | The Boneyard

New Pep Band Location

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Am i the only one who thinks that this is a really bad idea? Didn't think anything was wrong with the old spot, and now the students aren't as on top of the court as they used to be.

Reaction Score
i don't like it either. love the band but seems to take the most valuable real estate from the rowdiest fans. how can you scream obscenities at the carl krauser and eric devendorf-types from 15 rows back??

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Terrible idea. Band already gets free seats saved for them in bottom of student section. Now they're moved into the center, taking those seats away from die hard student fans who sometimes wait for hours pregame to get good seats.

On top of that, no one wants to sit behind them either because you can't see over the tubas in the back. So 2-3 rows behind the band are wasted too.

Not hating on band, they're great. But they're already getting free lower level seats, why the need to move them to the center? If it's not broken , don't fix it.

Deprives the die-hard students while also diminishing court-side fan atmosphere.

Terrible decision by UConn administration, hope this is temporary and gets rectified ASAP. I've been removed from student section for a few years now, but this is just wrong.

Reaction Score
Terrible idea. Band already gets free seats saved for them in bottom of student section. Now they're moved into the center, taking those seats away from die hard student fans who sometimes wait for hours pregame to get good seats.

On top of that, no one wants to sit behind them either because you can't see over the tubas in the back. So 2-3 rows behind the band are wasted too.

Not hating on band, they're great. But they're already getting free lower level seats, why the need to move them to the center? If it's not broken , don't fix it.

Deprives the die-hard students while also diminishing court-side fan atmosphere.

Terrible decision by UConn administration, hope this is temporary and gets rectified ASAP. I've been removed from student section for a few years now, but this is just wrong.
Agree. Nothing against the band I think they're great but their section in the corner of the lower section was a perfect fit for them. Additionally, the entire front row is empty next to the drummer. Makes no sense to take away all of that real estate.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Call me crazy has it not always essentially been that spot?

Reaction Score
used to be on the side: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/conn/sports/w-baskbl/auto_original/7546892.jpeg

Screen Shot 2016-11-05 at 9.29.45 PM.png

Reaction Score
Why?
Sideline student section makes it look like a more raucous environment, IMO. Those seats are usually for donors and player/staff families if I'm not mistaken. Most of the time those seats are vacant. I just think the students should get the top spots.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Before they moved to the corner of the student section the band used to be on the floor right behind the basket. Can't recall if they had to push some of that center student section back or not but when I was in the band we were there. Not sure when they moved to the corner.

I will say that sitting behind the band shouldn't be a problem as everyone stands up anyway and the tubas shouldn't be leaving them on unless they are playing, which is never during the game is on.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I also thought this is how it used to be. I see no issue here and it looks like there is 20 feet between the court and the fans. No real fear factor invoked on opponents IMO.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I remember way back they used to be like in a cage directly behind the basket

Reaction Score
The band us is made up of students and they are cheering for the Huskies as fervently as the rest of the student section when they're not playing. I have no problem about where they are sitting now, which I thought was pretty much where they were the last couple years. For strategy sake, they're closer to the visitor bench, making it harder for them to here during timeouts.

I sit not too far from where they are and look over at them quite often and find them some of the most entertaining fans that we have. On a side note, this year's band is one of the best I've ever heard. They're good every year, but this year they sound exceptional.

Of all the topics I've seen on this boneyard, we've come down to discussing the location of our pep band. Egad!

Reaction Score
David Benedict comments regarding sideline student section.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 86

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I don't understand this schools decision making process and priorities sometimes.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
David Benedict comments regarding sideline student section.
I like Benedict because he's very open minded and a good listener about these things. He made a lot of good changes to the football gameday experience, and it looks like he's thinking hard about how to improve basketball.

Reaction Score
Idea lasted one game....hmmmm

Another athletic dept brain fart like the guy who used to come out in football field to lead cheers or the gampel dj...this one died a record death

Reaction Score
Gotta think that the committee will take into account that the Wagner loss came with the band in the wrong location

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Give them credit for changing it back. I don't mind them trying things, and stopping if they don't work.

But it would be nice to implement some of the common sense things mentioned in this thread (and elsewhere).

Reaction Score
I actually like the current set-up at Gampel. The students aren't on top of you like they may be if they were on the sideline, but the aesthetics of seeing an entire sea of students spread out across one of the baselines are something I enjoy. When Gampel is on, it's one of the best venues in the country as it is.

I think it makes more sense to put students court-side at the XL. For one, it gives them incentive to actually go to the game. Secondly, even when the student section is full, they don't feel like as big a part of the game as they do in Storrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom