New offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee eager to get started at UConn (Fuller) | The Boneyard

New offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee eager to get started at UConn (Fuller)

Reaction Score
New UConn football offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee eager to get started

>>We are going to play fast, we are going to try to dictate the tempo the best we can, play to the strengths of what we have until we recruit to the level to get where we want," Lashlee said. "We are going to be exciting to watch and hopefully we can score some points. No huddle, we believe in tempo. I think it is exciting for the guys to play, exciting for fans. I believe in balance, being able to run and throw the football. I don't mean 50-50 distribution, 40 runs and 40 passes. I believe balance is being able to take what the defense gives you. One game they may be defending the pass and you have to run the ball more. The next game they may be loading up to stop the run and we will throw it and we are able to do so."<<

>>Lashlee compared the offense he will be running to what Chad Morris' Southern Methodist team runs and what Memphis runs under the leadership of Mike Norvell.<<

Reaction Score
There's a lot packed into that article. Really good read. Confirmation that BS is planning to come back is good to hear from the OC. I also think it is more likely than not that we see a freshman OL crack the starting lineup based on what Grimes had to say.

Reaction Score
Fuller again: Can Auburn connection provide punch for UConn's offense

>>He [Lashlee] also said he won't be surprised if no starting quarterback is announced until fall camp especially since three players who could compete for the starting job won't be enrolled at UConn in time for spring drills.<<

>>So what does Grimes look for in a successful offensive lineman?

"There are seven factors that are very critical in an offensive lineman, is he big enough, is he strong enough, is he quick enough, does he have balance, can keep his rear end off the ground, does he have a football IQ and two most critical factors are character and toughness, what kind of character does that kid have. Is he a kid who can take good, hard, fair coaching or is he going to back away from good, hard, tough coaching? Is he a tough guy? Does he like the game? The bottom line is if you don't love it, don't do it. It is not worth it, go get a job waiting tables, be a newspaper man. Character and toughness are the two most important factors. Then when you get those other five (parameters), you don't always have to have all five of those, you can have three of the five and be OK, be an efficient player. All of those are critical factors you look for in an offensive linemen."<<

Discussion on Tight End also... nice work by Fuller.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I like what Grimes is saying.

What about breakfast?!

Seriously though, I think Van DeMark could surprise us with early playing time. His HUDL tape shows a kid with good balance and speed on a 6'7'' (?) frame. He's a post grad kid too which helps.

Reaction Score
What about breakfast?!

Seriously though, I think Van DeMark could surprise us with early playing time. His HUDL tape shows a kid with good balance and speed on a 6'7'' (?) frame. He's a post grad kid too which helps.

I don't believe it's realistic for him to add on 40lbs before August. Probably will have to RS. I think out of the 4 incoming freshman Holmes has best chance to start right away and can move Vechery into the utility backup lineman role.

My best guess at starters would be: Peart, Holmes, Crozier, Hopkins & Cespedes

Vechery, Rutherford & Oak backups with Hashemi, DeGeorge & Leone also in the mix.

Van Demark, Hubbard & Tunstall RS.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I don't believe it's realistic for him to add on 40lbs before August. Probably will have to RS. I think out of the 4 incoming freshman Holmes has best chance to start right away and can move Vechery into the utility backup lineman role.

Vechery, Rutherford & Oak backups with Hashemi, DeGeorge & Leone also in the mix.

Weight is overrated. Cummings was obsessed with weight and it got us the worst oline in football. I agree, I think Holmes is likely to play as a Frosh, but Vandy is my sleeper even if playing under ideal weight.

Has Cecespedes ever played a snap on offense? I am hoping for a grad transfer or DeGeorge miracle for that right tackle position.

If we do get a grad transfer than Vandy never sees the field in 2017.

Reaction Score

You guys that have any idea about OL depth must be Rain Man wannabes.

I have been a fan for over 18 years and I still struggle on game day to remember the jersey numbers for our starters.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Grimes in translation: He doesn't like what he's seen on tape and it's an uphill battle with the talent he's inheriting. I think he's saying there isn't much to work with, and it's going to be frustrating. Nice job Bobby Diaco.
lmao seriously. Grimes basically just threw up his hands and said what am i working with here in that quote. Gave me a good laugh.

Reaction Score
No more dead weight on the OL. Going to have to be strength and speed and getting set for the next play. Good weight vs bad. Nice to see Leone has lost a few pounds but I see him maybe next year or if needed to shore up the D-Line down the road. Give the new guys time to mature lhysically but among tbe returners we could see a surprise in tbe new system. Not many guaranteed spots after Crozier and Peart.

Reaction Score
Grimes in translation: He doesn't like what he's seen on tape and it's an uphill battle with the talent he's inheriting. I think he's saying there isn't much to work with, and it's going to be frustrating.

One could say he is just setting expectations low... ;)

Reaction Score
Fuller again: Can Auburn connection provide punch for UConn's offense

>>He [Lashlee] also said he won't be surprised if no starting quarterback is announced until fall camp especially since three players who could compete for the starting job won't be enrolled at UConn in time for spring drills.<<

>>So what does Grimes look for in a successful offensive lineman?

"There are seven factors that are very critical in an offensive lineman, is he big enough, is he strong enough, is he quick enough, does he have balance, can keep his rear end off the ground, does he have a football IQ and two most critical factors are character and toughness, what kind of character does that kid have. Is he a kid who can take good, hard, fair coaching or is he going to back away from good, hard, tough coaching? Is he a tough guy? Does he like the game? The bottom line is if you don't love it, don't do it. It is not worth it, go get a job waiting tables, be a newspaper man. Character and toughness are the two most important factors. Then when you get those other five (parameters), you don't always have to have all five of those, you can have three of the five and be OK, be an efficient player. All of those are critical factors you look for in an offensive linemen."<<

Discussion on Tight End also.. nice work by Fuller.
Awesome... Haven't heard any of that from any of our previous OL coaches.. Nice to hear... straight shooting... no coddling...

How much does a kid 6'2 or taller and weighing around 300lbs and up need to be coddled anyways????

Reaction Score
No more dead weight on the OL. Going to have to be strength and speed and getting set for the next play. Good weight vs bad. Nice to see Leone has lost a few pounds but I see him maybe next year or if needed to shore up the D-Line down the road. Give the new guys time to mature lhysically but among tbe returners we could see a surprise in tbe new system. Not many guaranteed spots after Crozier and Peart.
Bottom Line: recruiting... less projects and more immediate help.. or else we're always gonna be on the outside looking in..

And, oh, btw, can't really say Crozier and Peart spots are guaranteed, which, quite honestly, I like... New regime has higher expectations up front...

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Gathering from conversations from last night, the 2 biggest issues is team speed and the o-line. Peart has potential, but has to be refined. I heard more than a few times things might have to be tweaked until we get the right guys in here.

Reaction Score
Gathering from conversations from last night, the 2 biggest issues is team speed and the o-line. Peart has potential, but has to be refined. I heard more than a few times things might have to be tweaked until we get the right guys in here.
Could tell the old regime went for size to mask the lack of speed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom