New Laptop | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New Laptop

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Same sale I'm looking at, but I get an extra x% discount. I would get an i-5 at least and at least 8GB RAM
I get a an extra amount off as well but it really doesn't end up being very, iirc.

Reaction Score
Anyone who wants the benefits of a Mac but doesn't want to spend the $ should spend an afternoon learning to install Ubuntu on an old laptop. For those unfamiliar, Ubuntu (a Linux "flavor") is open source/free. Like MacOS/OSX it's Unix-based; any Mac user will pick up Ubuntu's interface in no time at all. Good performance, no viruses and you'll save a ton of money.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
We have a Surface Pro, my wife uses it. It's nice. Doesn't replace our household pc, in part because of storage.

As for Chromebook, it has a browser, but won't run our MS office apps, games, photoshop etc. and doesn't have enough storage for our pictures, music, videos etc. So it has a place, but not for our family, where everyone has an iPad that they use for a lot of their browsing. One we got my daughter the iPad Pro she required for school, the Chromebook stopped being useful for her. I'm not saying they aren't useful, they just aren't useful for us.
Gotcha! I went the other way. Once I realized I was only really browsing on my expensive Airbook, I tried the chromebook, sold the mac, and now my ipad is collecting dust! If you have a gmail address the integration of google into your life is so much easier (creepy but easier) with android and chrome.

As for pictures, regardless of whether you are on Apple or Google, Google Photos is the way to go. It stores up to some amount of pictures for free (or if you have a lot of pics like I do - I have the 2 terabyte storage for $10/month) and totally works at immediately backing them up - then you can delete them on your computer or your phone which is really important for iphone users (need that memory for ios). Then if you need to photoshop them you have access from anywhere without the storage needs. Its the only way I can live with 128gig of memory.

I think the OP needs to be more specific on what he really needs to determine what direction to go. The value of Apple is the sales staff who are very knowledgeable whereas for pcs and chromebooks you're on your own.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I know you said no Macs, but here is a recommendation of exactly what you said you do not want.

I am planning a beach vacation in Cape Cod. Looking for recommendations.

Myrtle Beach is the best!!!!

Reaction Score
Marcus Williams, and I was about to make it till I got to your post. I'll make it anyway:

Marcus Williams could point you in the right direction.

I'd go with A.J. Price.

Reaction Score
I bought a Lenovo Yoga 900 (i7 / 512gb / 16gb) a few years ago and it has a flaw that causes it to freeze randomly, requiring reboot. It's a know issue with no solution after warranty.

So I replaced it with a Dell XPS 13 (9360 - i7 / 512gb / 8gb ). Great computer - light, thin, fast. The OP might want the XPS 15 for the bigger screen and other upgrade options. My previous computer was a Dell XPS 15 (i5 / 640gb / 6gb) - I bought it in 2010 and it is still kicking around. 4 or 5 years ago I upgraded the hard drive to a 256gb SSD and the keyboard to backlit. I gave it to my father in law last year.

My Acer chromebook failed too - after a routine upgrade the wifi/bluetooth card just stopped working - can't use a wifi dongle because it doesn't support installation of drivers (believe me, I tried everything). So I installed Linux on it. Works great. Trouble is if I let the battery die I have to reinstall the OS - so it's not a computer I can rely on to use for anything critical. Still a fun hobby unit.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I get a an extra amount off as well but it really doesn't end up being very, iirc.
You can try used... look at Newegg for refurbished. Work replaces my desktops every 2 years, whether it needs it or not (leased). They just upgraded my i7 to an i5. New standard. Even i7 is 4-5 years old technology. I can basically get my work machine for around $300-400. If I could buy my machine I would.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm about to replace an aging, four year old 2 in 1 PC. I won't make the 2 in 1 mistake again. Daughter wants a Macbook, but it isn't happening. I hate using Apple PCs.

The use case is a home PC, pictures, music, word processing, etc. that my teen daughter will also use to play games like Sims 4. I have a home office area with two desks, and this needs to be a laptop, not desktop, so that when I'm working at home it can be moved to another room. It probably won't leave the house though. I get a discount on Dells (prices are pre-discount), and I'm torn between:

Alienware 15": $1400 i-7 8750H, 16GB, NVIDIA 1060OC (net price $871)
G7 Gaming 15": $1000 i-7 8750H, 8GB, NVIDIA 1050Ti (net price $1250)

Would configure both with a 128GB SSD and 1TB HD. I looked at the XPS, which is nice, but I can't get the combo SSD and 1TB HD, and I need the storage space.

Thoughts? Won't be doing heavy gaming, but the Alienware is built more solidly.

Why did you expect to actually get an answer that made sense?

Although I’m not sure I understand the requirement to have the combo drives, I’m guessing you’ve done more research on the topic than any of these nitwits, so just pick which one you like best. Is it my imagination or is the Alienware cheaper than the G7 after your discount?

Reaction Score
This appeared in my Google news feed.

Dell's new G3 15 gaming laptop with a GTX 1050 is just $669

https://search. app. goo. gl/ Vptsh

The base configuration has an 8th-generation Intel Core i5-8300H processor, 8GB of DDR4 memory, and a GTX 1050 Ti. The screen is a 15.6-inch 1080p IPS panel, with an anti-glare coating. Three colors are available—Black, Recon Blue, and Alpine White (they're all the same price).

For storage, you get a 1TB 5400rpm hard drive with 8GB of SSD cache. For $50 more, you can replace the hybrid hard drive with a 128GB SSD and 1TB HDD.

You can buy the G3 from Dell's online store here. To get the discount, use coupon code 50OFF699at checkout.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Why did you expect to actually get an answer that made sense?

Although I’m not sure I understand the requirement to have the combo drives, I’m guessing you’ve done more research on the topic than any of these nitwits, so just pick which one you like best. Is it my imagination or is the Alienware cheaper than the G7 after your discount?

You're right, I shouldn't have. For the record the combo drive is because the SSD boots up much more quickly, and Windows runs better on them and is more responsive. Yet I have 850GB of stuff on my current HD, so getting just an SSD doesn't work. Looked into plugging a stand-along WD 2TB drive into my router to create a network drive, but the stupid Fios router disables the USB ports.

The Alienware is a little less than $400 more. Not worth it most likely. Better build quality, graphics card, heat dispersal and more RAM. But not things that matter much for me in this case.

Reaction Score
You're right, I shouldn't have. For the record the combo drive is because the SSD boots up much more quickly, and Windows runs better on them and is more responsive. Yet I have 850GB of stuff on my current HD, so getting just an SSD doesn't work. Looked into plugging a stand-along WD 2TB drive into my router to create a network drive, but the stupid Fios router disables the USB ports.

The Alienware is a little less than $400 more. Not worth it most likely. Better build quality, graphics card, heat dispersal and more RAM. But not things that matter much for me in this case.
Ah so you accidentally swapped the net prices.

Reaction Score
Mac family here but we have an Alienware also because the kids like to game. Heavy but very sturdy and reliable with great performance. Can’t complain about it at all.

I use a Lenovo ThinkPad for work and have been hammering on it for 2+ years. Battery isn’t the best but haven’t had any issues with it and I travel non-stop with it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I put a disproportionate emphasis on build quality. If $400 gets me a better, more solid keyboard and a better trackpad, I spend it.

Reaction Score
I waited until the Intel gen 8 core MPU (CPU) was available late'17. My old home PC was 6 yrs old and grinding to a halt by the minute. Comparison with the new is Farari : turtle.

Bought Dell with i5 MPU (i3 options very limited), and 8 GB of RAM expandable to 16GB - more RAM very handy / speedy if you open several windows and stream video - and video aps are growing like a weed if you haven't noticed. I did not get an accelerated graphics chip (eg, AMD/NVIDIA/etc) as I don't do games - but they can be handy if you do 'serious' video in multiple windows. The display is LCD 15" full HD with LED backlight (very bright). Storage is 256GB flash (EXTREMELY fast access to 'disc' / on board storage), and a 2TB remote HDD for 'back-up' - I store everything on the remote HDD as 256GB flash can fill quickly - Win 10 / etc occupy a lot more space than older versions. Think I paid ~$500-550.

Have had very good luck with Dell maintenence / service even though it's in India. Acer / ASUS looked good, and better pricing, but the platform did not have same quality, and I did not easily find info about their service quality. While PCs are all made in Taiwan / China, probably have better chance of getting someone to act with a US brand should problems arise (if PC lasts 72 hours, probably ok for design life of 5-6 years. Even though I spoke with HP management about their line, it was very hard to decipher / understand (what the hell was a tr-99f-g145?) - brand naming, etc. needs realignment to be a bit more consumer friendly.

Also got a Logitech wireless keyboard / mouse.

Reaction Score
Go to r/suggestapc

You will get much better recommendations than the BY.

I have been very happy with the headphones and laptop recommended on Wirecutter as well.

Reaction Score
Newer Laptop. Currently have a Dell Latitude which has been great for 8 years! Considering another Dell Latitude or a Lenovo ThinkPad. Most of our software is cloud based now but I still use Microsoft Office software on the computer. I thought about just going with a desktop but there are times where I want the laptop. A local computer expert told me he only uses Lenovo.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Newer Laptop. Currently have a Dell Latitude which has been great for 8 years! Considering another Dell Latitude or a Lenovo ThinkPad. Most of our software is cloud based now but I still use Microsoft Office software on the computer. I thought about just going with a desktop but there are times where I want the laptop. A local computer expert told me he only uses Lenovo.

What is the budget? What size do you prefer? How much does portability matter?

Reaction Score
I have a Lenovo thinkpad....really like it. I was surprised by the level of customer support. I bought the 3 yr warranty, as it's a work machine and in a time far far away (pre 2020), I actually traveled a lot for work. I've discovered that my machines generally don't make it 3 yrs. Anyway, had a screen issue in month 35...they couldn't fix it so the they gave me the option of 2 replacement machines...both of which were better than the machine that crapped out. They sent me a brand new machine no questions asked. On the downside, after 30 months that machine lost a few pixels...but its otherwise fine.

I would buy one again

Reaction Score
What is the budget? What size do you prefer? How much does portability matter?
I want to spend under $1k. I supposed I have to research which I don't feel like doing but I want it to be very fast. I don't think storage is as much an issue because I don't have to download as much software, but I'd rather have way too much than not enough. Portability is important because I do have to bring it with me on occasion.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wait @Kolumbo suddenly needs a new laptop? What happened to old one? You didn't leave in a Delaware repair shop by any chance, did you?

Last edited:

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I want to spend under $1k. I supposed I have to research which I don't feel like doing but I want it to be very fast. I don't think storage is as much an issue because I don't have to download as much software, but I'd rather have way too much than not enough. Portability is important because I do have to bring it with me on occasion.
This may help: The Best Laptops 2020

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom