New! Just released pod with Coach Mora | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New! Just released pod with Coach Mora

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
An interesting point is him talking about there being major realignment in college football in the next year and being positioned to get into the best conference possible. I wonder if it's a very general comment or there are some serious things going on behind closed doors.
I got the sense he was just talking about Oklahoma and Texas, nothing specific to UConn.

A few other comments about the podcast:

I say this periodically, but Jared just crushes these things. The conversations feel very organic, but you can tell that he is meticulous in his planning and knows what he wants to cover. I’ve listen to other podcasts were people struggle maintaining the flow and maintaining a friendly conversational energy. Jared does it very well.

I have to say that whenever I listen to Jim Mora talk, I become just that a little bit more impressed. He is a bright guy and extraordinarily disciplined in his messaging. Again, that’s something that’s hard to do consistently, without sounding robotic. I also love the fact that his natural default is to give credit to others. I’m a big believer that the best “managers“ take responsibility for failure and delegate responsibility for success. Jim Mora isn’t a ‘look at me’ kind of guy. He doesn’t need to bolster his ego which opens him up to nurture and develop people around him.

Given his message discipline, it’s still too early to tell whether he is sincere when he talks about how much he loves being part of this university and being back coaching, but I believe him. I think he is sincerely enjoying being around the team, which is a great experience, but I also think he enjoys the Connecticut fans and having teams that are successful across a variety of sports. We’ve seen him make appearances at a bunch of different games, and I suspect some of that is strategic, but he sure sounds like a fan and sounds like he genuinely enjoys it.

I look forward to seeing how all this translates to success on the field, because that’s the ultimate litmus test of college sports, but every time I hear this guy I think to myself that Benedict hit a home run with this hire and we are extraordinary really fortunate to have Coach here.

Reaction Score
Disagree regarding, well maybe regarding both. But as to UVA and VaTech, the issue with the legislature was that they felt that VaTech was being left behind in a moribund conference. It wasn’t the UVA in VaTech were joined at the hip so much as they just wanted to make sure that they had a viable home.

Sort of agree regarding UNC and duke, but I’m not sure I see UNC leaving $30 million a year on the table. And that’s just for starters.
I feel like UNC and Duke are going to be a package deal always. There's too much history and money to break those two up. Just like Texas and Oklahoma.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I feel like UNC and Duke are going to be a package deal always. There's too much history and money to break those two up. Just like Texas and Oklahoma.
Yeah, I agree, but, if the Big Ten said to UNC we are going to double your conference distributions, I don’t see them walking away from that if duke was not included. The Big Ten and the SEC are just different animals than everyone else right now.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I got the sense he was just talking about Oklahoma and Texas, nothing specific to UConn.

A few other comments about the podcast:

I say this periodically, but Jared just crushes these things. The conversations feel very organic, but you can tell that he is meticulous in his planning and knows what he wants to cover. I’ve listen to other podcasts were people struggle maintaining the flow and maintaining a friendly conversational energy. Jared does it very well.

I have to say that whenever I listen to Jim Mora talk, I become just that a little bit more impressed. He is a bright guy and extraordinarily disciplined in his messaging. Again, that’s something that’s hard to do consistently, without sounding robotic. I also love the fact that his natural default is to give credit to others. I’m a big believer that the best “managers“ take responsibility for failure and delegate responsibility for success. Jim Mora isn’t a ‘look at me’ kind of guy. He doesn’t need to bolster his ego which opens him up to nurture and develop people around him.

Given his message discipline, it’s still too early to tell whether he is sincere when he talks about how much he loves being part of this university and being back coaching, but I believe him. I think he is sincerely enjoying being around the team, which is a great experience, but I also think he enjoys the Connecticut fans and having teams that are successful across a variety of sports. We’ve seen him make appearances at a bunch of different games, and I suspect some of that is strategic, but he sure sounds like a fan and sounds like he genuinely enjoys it.

I look forward to seeing how all this translates to success on the field, because that’s the ultimate litmus test of college sports, but every time I hear this guy I think to myself that Benedict hit a home run with this hire and we are extraordinary really fortunate to have Coach here.
I agree...he seems to be the right guy at the right time for this program.

What is amazing is that this hire was out of nowhere. He wasn't on anyone's list for any openings. You would have thought if Mora wanted back into coaching, his name would have been out there.

Does Mora have an agent? I think I remember he negotiated his own deal. If he doesn't have an agent...that could be why his name wasn't floating around out there. That's what agents usually do.

Anyway...bottom line is this hire feels like a home run...but as you said, it has to translate into wins. And fortunately...Mora isn't afraid to say winning in his first season matters.

Reaction Score
UNC, Texas, and Oklahoma are all in a different league than Duke though. Coach K is gone, Duke is a small private school, and their football program is not good. Also, if they are attached with UNC in a move to the big10, then they don't provide additional cable boxes or recruiting territory over just adding UNC. Duke and UNC can play each other in basketball every year if they want to schedule that. The current conference changes are all business moves. For example, BYU would like to remain independent, but knows it will be left out if it doesn't get into the mix in the power conference musical chairs going on right now. Every school that has changed conferences has done it out of their own best interest and has almost completely disregarded long term rivalries and geography. The SEC adding Oklahoma and Texas was the one absolute homerun in conference realignment for both the conference and schools. Everything else has been conferences and schools making concessions somewhere with their main priorities being money and exposure for the university.

Reaction Score
Mora seems the right man for the job and he seems to delegate much more to his assistants than Edsall or Diaco did. I do like that we have a better OC and DC (Spanos couldn't be HC and DC) than we had last year. How did Guifre end up as OC? On the recruiting side, I like that he has gotten kids from the CT prep schools and went after P5 transfers. As for roster management, I do believe he has upgraded the talent at almost every position, although Travis Jones can't be replaced.

All that said, it is year 1 and the first half of the schedule is not easy and UConn could go 1-5. For year 1, I think showing that UConn is a competitive team with 3 wins is a reasonable expectation. I think year 2 will be better as the schedule is favorable to start the season and the coaching staff will have another year to fill roster holes through the portal.

Reaction Score
When he's not reffing games I assume his Monday to Friday job is working at a carwash?

Let me provide another theory -- nothing much is going on with UConn (both the ACC and the Big Ten know how to reach us if they need to fill spots) but Mora's job is to sell tickets, and that kind of talk is one way to build excitement.
Don't think it's being used to sell tickets. If anyone does have inside information, it couldn't be publicized at this point.

Reaction Score
Regarding rumors...remember this:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Mora seems the right man for the job and he seems to delegate much more to his assistants than Edsall or Diaco did. I do like that we have a better OC and DC (Spanos couldn't be HC and DC) than we had last year. How did Guifre end up as OC? On the recruiting side, I like that he has gotten kids from the CT prep schools and went after P5 transfers. As for roster management, I do believe he has upgraded the talent at almost every position, although Travis Jones can't be replaced.

All that said, it is year 1 and the first half of the schedule is not easy and UConn could go 1-5. For year 1, I think showing that UConn is a competitive team with 3 wins is a reasonable expectation. I think year 2 will be better as the schedule is favorable to start the season and the coaching staff will have another year to fill roster holes through the portal.

The way he talked about prep schools sounded like it took him 5 seconds to realize even though the school is in the northeast they are drawing in players from all over the country. Great to save money recruiting a California kid when he preps in New England. It's one of those brilliant in simplicity and understanding how to utilize a resource.

Reaction Score

Thanks for posting that. Memory lane.

Reaction Score
An interesting point is him talking about there being major realignment in college football in the next year and being positioned to get into the best conference possible. I wonder if it's a very general comment or there are some serious things going on behind closed doors.

Yes that was very interesting. Couple that comment with AD DB's response when asked about being an independent in February:

AD Dave Benedict on being an independent: “It’s hard to say what’s going to happen tomorrow, let alone a year from now. There’s some things we need to keep an eye on”

The short time frame was never brought up by the interviewer, it was just a throw away question about being an independent.

Reaction Score
The way he talked about prep schools sounded like it took him 5 seconds to realize even though the school is in the northeast they are drawing in players from all over the country. Great to save money recruiting a California kid when he preps in New England. It's one of those brilliant in simplicity and understanding how to utilize a resource.
I look at it like you don't have to convince that kid to come from California to CT. He's already done it.

Reaction Score
Yes that was very interesting. Couple that comment with AD DB's response when asked about being an independent in February:

AD Dave Benedict on being an independent: “It’s hard to say what’s going to happen tomorrow, let alone a year from now. There’s some things we need to keep an eye on”

The short time frame was never brought up by the interviewer, it was just a throw away question about being an independent.
Interesting comment. All UConn can do now is win games, but there does appear to be a lot more movement that will happen in the next few years and UConn should have a good chance of getting an invite to either the ACC or BIG 10. Everyone in the BIG 12 has one foot out the door and it seems likely the BIG 12 will get raided at some point by a combination of the PAC/ACC/BIG 10. If the BIG 10 is unable to raid the ACC, then UConn will have a great chance at an invite. If the BIG 10 does raid the ACC, then UConn could still be invited if there is an increase of 4-6 teams, but if not then they will have a great chance of backfilling to the ACC. Or we keep getting screwed...

Reaction Score
If we could stay in the Big East and play football in a good and stable football only conference in the end, I’d be ok with that if the money was adequate. There should be some pretty appealing leftovers.

I’d love the Big Ten, but I’m much less excited about a picked over ACC. I’m one of those guys that prefers playing basketball against PC and Seton Hall over NC State and Wake Forest. Yes, we’d get BC and Cuse back on the schedule, but we’d lose Nova, PC, Seton Hall, Georgetown and St John’s to get there. I like the old rivals and the NYC vibe of the Big East.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I look at it like you don't have to convince that kid to come from California to CT. He's already done it.

You said it more succinctly than me. So, let me add more words to make the same point. You aren't going out to California or where ever and asking the kid to project what it's like away from home, what the weather, environment, rural/urban mix is....whatever. The kid is already in that new environment and you're just asking them to hang out longer.

Reaction Score

That guy got the full Fishy treatment.

About 2 months before that post, a friends son told me UConn was going to the big East. I told him it would never happen and cited the list of reasons that I got from Fishy’s posts through the years. I bought into them. I even sprinkled in a bit of patented Fishy condescension.

Looking back, knowing now the circles my buddies son he runs in, I should have listened.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

About 2 months before that post, a friends son told me UConn was going to the big East. I told him it would never happen and cited the list of reasons that I got from Fishy’s posts through the years. I bought into them. I even sprinkled in a bit of patented Fishy condescension.

Looking back, knowing now the circles my buddies son he runs in, I should have listened.
Great, so what's next?

Reaction Score

Talk to him again.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score

OK, on Fishy, admittedly I've been basically lurking on this board and contributing little of relevant UConn FB value since (and arguably before) our fall from grace after the Fiesta Bowl. But, harkening back to those good ole days, where has Fishy been recently for those of us not in the know? Has he recently returned like the great white sharks have off Cape Cod and the islands? Or did I miss him like so many unfortunate swimmers have?

Reaction Score
Interesting comment. All UConn can do now is win games, but there does appear to be a lot more movement that will happen in the next few years and UConn should have a good chance of getting an invite to either the ACC or BIG 10. Everyone in the BIG 12 has one foot out the door and it seems likely the BIG 12 will get raided at some point by a combination of the PAC/ACC/BIG 10. If the BIG 10 is unable to raid the ACC, then UConn will have a great chance at an invite. If the BIG 10 does raid the ACC, then UConn could still be invited if there is an increase of 4-6 teams, but if not then they will have a great chance of backfilling to the ACC. Or we keep getting screwed...

In before someone says something about AAU membership.

Reaction Score

“If you have to convince a kid from California to come to Connecticut then it’s just not going to work.” -Randy Edsall, probably

Reaction Score

and away we go. Fasten your seatbelt.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom