New Haven Hotels | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New Haven Hotels

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I can tell you. Tribus is awesome. Great beers. Cool taproom. Love it.
Good to know. That's a new one to me, too.

If you are en route to Fairfield this morning, this is a great chance to grab a BEC at Country Cow.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Good to know. That's a new one to me, too.

If you are en route to Fairfield this morning, this is a great chance to grab a BEC at Country Cow.

I am but what is Country Cow?

ahh...we ate the crappy free Marriott breakfast already

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Is the Frank Pepe's off 95 in Fairfield/Bridgeport worth a stop?
I have been there a couple times and had their pies at the house of a friend who lives locally a few more times and all have been good. I hear that the pizza at Brewport is also good but I haven’t been there. If it’s at the tail end of your trip I’d just as soon stop at Modern in New Haven though. Easy off and on there, too.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I have been there a couple times and had their pies at the house of a friend who lives locally a few more times and all have been good. I hear that the pizza at Brewport is also good but I haven’t been there. If it’s at the tail end of your trip I’d just as soon stop at Modern in New Haven though. Easy off and on there, too.

It is but it will be about 1:00 when we finish our tour. Not sure how much patience we will have to wait longer for lunch. I've never been to Modern actually. So I'd love to try it out finally.

Sally's seems an even easier on off from 95. We won't be getting on 91. Brewport pies look good in pictures.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It is but it will be about 1:00 when we finish our tour. Not sure how much patience we will have to wait longer for lunch. I've never been to Modern actually. So I'd love to try it out finally.

Sally's seems an even easier on off from 95. We won't be getting on 91. Brewport pies look good in pictures.
New Haven is 20 minutes up the road. I don’t know the Sunday hours of any of the places but I’d choose the one that’s open that you most want to hit. Yes you can conveniently get right on 95 from Wooster St., so Sally’s and Pepe’s are maybe a minute or two easier for you in that respect. But I’m betting a trip to Modern would end up taking less time overall. Tough to predict for sure. It may be Parents’s Weekend at Yale and/or other area colleges so you may have more of a crowd at all of them. In my experience Modern usually moves the crowd faster than then others.

If you do Modern, remember to request light mozzarella, well done, if you want to reduce the risk of sag.

Reaction Score
Modern and Sally’s open @ 3p on Sunday’s. Pepe’s is like 11:00/11:30 if I remember correctly

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Modern and Sally’s open @ 3p on Sunday’s. Pepe’s is like 11:00/11:30 if I remember correctly

Thanks. So those two are out. Brewport may be the best option.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
BAR opens at 11:30 also.

Mashed potatoes and bacon pie, red. BAR salad.

Reaction Score
BAR opens at 11:30 also.

Mashed potatoes and bacon pie, red. BAR salad.

No Shubert Theater today so parking would be a breeze... you can still get a quick view of NH/Yale Campus w/ a very short walk across parking lot.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
No Shubert Theater today so parking would be a breeze... you can still get a quick view of NH/Yale Campus w/ a very short walk across parking lot.
We went to Olea for dinner for our anniversary last night and the area was buzzing but still easy enough to get around. That was our first time at Olea and it definitely won’t be the last. Up there with the best meals I’ve had at Union League or L’Orcio. Speaking of Union League we had some time to kill after dinner so we popped in there and got a glass of champagne at the bar. We were surprised to see the outdoor seating area for Union League. It was a perfect night for it. Do you know how long they’ve had that? I am there more for lunch than dinner and had never noticed it before.

Reaction Score
It’s new-ish. I wanna say since August? I noticed it cutting through the alley to Chapel St.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
The Courtyard is not bad... it’s right on the fringe (if you ignore the Popeye’s Restaurant /Gas Station across the street). Look on a map - it’s kitty-corner from Yale retail district.
Agreed, it's definitely not bad on the inside, and the parking is behind and underneath so you aren't walking in off the street side. As I said, it's transitional but it's really close to a lot of good stuff--walking distance to Broadway shops, Three Sheets, Maison Mathis, Tarry Lodge (not New Haven apizza, but their guanciale pizza with black truffles and egg is amazing, like the best bacon egg and cheese imaginable).

It's really just that it sits on an ugly block.

There is nothing wrong with the courtyard location at all. The popeyes is a plus.

no one is getting murdered walking from the courtyard to Yale retail. It's fine.

Its not like you are putting him on the fringe of Newhallville,

Reaction Score
There is nothing wrong with the courtyard location at all. The popeyes is a plus.

Hey - I think the walk-up takeout window that’s open to zero-dark-thirty is a bonus... not sure everyone else would. ;)

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Hey - I think the walk-up takeout window that’s open to zero-dark-thirty is a bonus... not sure everyone else would. ;)

their chicken sandwich is the best out there,

Reaction Score
I've stayed at The Study. Not much there but my wife rode the elevator with Denzel Washington. I like the Omni. Great breakfast room on the top floor, little bar up there too. And you can walk over to College Street in two minutes and get a drink at a number of spots or a drink and cigar at The Owl

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
@HuskyHawk - what’d you end up doing on Sunday?

Wife and daughter wanted to get the hell out of Dodge. So after visiting Fairfield we drove to Old Lyme and grabbed lunch there. Traffic was pretty bad on 95.

Maybe she will crush her SAT and we will have a reason to visit Yale. Doubt it. Tufts this weekend is already a major reach.

Reaction Score
Wife and daughter wanted to get the hell out of Dodge. So after visiting Fairfield we drove to Old Lyme and grabbed lunch there. Traffic was pretty bad on 95.

Maybe she will crush her SAT and we will have a reason to visit Yale. Doubt it. Tufts this weekend is already a major reach.

Well when you come back for New Student Orientation - here’s a new hotel option to kill three birds w/ one pizza stone: Graduate New Haven (backs up to campus)

>>Two antique wooden phone booths were in the process of being installed. They will serve as “pizza pay phones,” one for Modern and another for Pepe’s, Stephens said.

With them, guests can order pizza, which hotel staff will pick up and deliver, Stephens said.

Management is considering rotating the pizza options so that guests can have a chance to try other iconic spots, such as Sally’s, Stephens said.<<

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Well when you come back for New Student Orientation - here’s a new hotel option to kill three birds w/ one pizza stone: Graduate New Haven (backs up to campus)

>>Two antique wooden phone booths were in the process of being installed. They will serve as “pizza pay phones,” one for Modern and another for Pepe’s, Stephens said.

With them, guests can order pizza, which hotel staff will pick up and deliver, Stephens said.

Management is considering rotating the pizza options so that guests can have a chance to try other iconic spots, such as Sally’s, Stephens said.<<

Ooh. Pizza from both locations for a side by side comparison. I like it.

I have a feeling she'll end up going to school in Mass somehow.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom