New grid alert | Page 5 | The Boneyard

New grid alert

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The dude is built like an offensive tackle and you think some “skill” will allow him to play perimeter basketball. You’d be better off arguing he can have a Derrick Favors type career at center.

I beg of you, please go watch a pre season nba game on right now. You won’t see anyone built like him playing PF.
I think he’s already a very skilled player. I think he has an outside shot at an NBA career, especially if he has the 3 point shot they’re alluding to. But that career is going to be at the 5

He's a flex player between those positions. Like Al Horford is now. I'm not sure why his size is an impediment, he's roughly the size of Lebron. This issue is quickness and hops, and he has improved that a lot and needs to improve more. The main problem with playing him at the 4 is wasting his back to the basket skills, which are already better than a lot of NBA bigs. He will keep getting better and I expect him to have a long NBA career.

Reaction Score
so you all think he will never be able to develop into a skilled player? gotcha......
Defensively Sanogo can’t guard NBa 4s. Game is getting quicker and more perimeter oriented. The modern nba 4 is Giannis, Jayson Tatum, Kevin Durant.

The double big lineups don’t really exist much anymore.

I think Adama is a decent prospect as an NBA 5. He can score, rebound and has a nice touch. Defensively I wonder if he can cover the ground he needs too or if he will Be a drop big. As a drop big, meh. Very limited time on the floor. You gotta be shaq at this point to be a big who drops below the screen on a PnR.

Reaction Score
He probably won't be a top center, but there are guys like Robert Williams and Dan Theis, among others, who get regular minutes at the 5. And we're not all that far removed from Elton Brand finishing his career at center.
Hold on. Did you put Rob Williams in same sentence as Theis? Lol. Rob Williams was the best defender in the nba last year. Better than Smart and Gobert.

When the Celtics played him as river their def see annihilate people. He was absolutely spectacular. In fact, in the nba finals the Celtics actually out scored the warriors with him on the floor. He just wasn’t healthy enough to give more.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I'm not disagreeing with your point (that these conversations happen on most teams most years), but this is kind of a high stakes scenario. If, hypothetically, everyone who has eligibility left plus the 5 freshman want to play next year, the staff literally has to pick four of them and tell them there is no room for them on the team. This is a little different from the usual scenario, where they are simply telling players there are no minutes available for them.

One would think that the staff has pretty high confidence that at least 4 eligible guys won't want to return. I speculate that 2 of those guys are Alleyne and Newton. To bank on two other guys having a good enough season to go pro seems risky to me, though. Maybe they are confident a guy or 2 at the end of the bench will transfer?
I am very confident that players being taken to fill out the roster were well advised about the battle for playing time would be won in practice and that there may not be room for them when decisions have to made at the end of the season. Look at it from the standpoint of the recruit. He's told the truth (let's start with that). The situation outlined above happens. One or two have to move on.
First of all I don't think it is possible that our staff would outright lie to anyone including and especially a recruit. This program is never sold as being easy. So the kid(s) have a pair and believe in themselves and say I would rather compete against the best and if I can't make it here the experience of competing against these warriors in practice was my best option to do better wherever I am now going. I credit that to:

1) the intelligence and faith in the recruit in both himself and the program.
2) the quality of the training of staff and the practices they hold and the attitude of winning in a Big East program.

As I mentioned before in another post, I would love to observe the practices which are going to be epic in competition.

Reaction Score
Exactly.

I’d be surprised if he doesn’t exceed expectations. Kid is a gym rat, consummate team player who bleeds UConn. He deferred to the senior starters last season. That won’t be the situation this year.

I expect him to be the co scoring leader with Sonogo at 14 - 16 ppg.

I agree with everything but co-scoring leader. You are asking him to double up+ on last years points. I think we have too many options for that to happen. We have Hawk and quite a few shooters, plus Andre is very unselfish, almost to a fault.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I agree with everything but co-scoring leader. You are asking him to double up+ on last years points. I think we have too many options for that to happen. We have Hawk and quite a few shooters, plus Andre is very unselfish, almost to a fault.
Dammit! I was excited about a surprise addition to the team in 2024.

Lol, when I see this thread with a new message in it my anticipations neurons fire off. Pavlov would be proud.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Dammit! I was excited about a surprise addition to the team in 2024.

Lol, when I see this thread with a new message in it my anticipations neurons fire off. Pavlov would be proud.
Interestingly I did the same thing. didn’t notice @Stinger92860 was quoting me in my notifications.

Slightly disappointed that there isn’t a new player.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He probably won't be a top center, but there are guys like Robert Williams and Dan Theis, among others, who get regular minutes at the 5. And we're not all that far removed from Elton Brand finishing his career at center.
AS is good but Robert Williams? Not even close at all. I think your thinking of the wrong Williams. ABTW - AS has a ways to go to reach Grant Williams talent level. Not saying he wouldn’t but he isn’t close now

Reaction Score
AS is good but Robert Williams? Not even close at all. I think your thinking of the wrong Williams. ABTW - AS has a ways to go to reach Grant Williams talent level. Not saying he wouldn’t but he isn’t close now
Robert Williams is one of the great defensive centers in the nba! My god. Fearsome player.

As far as Sanogo. I think he can be like a Grant Williams. That should be his game. Can Sanogo defend on the perimeter? That’s the question.

Reaction Score
I've watched hundreds of NBA games and have been to multiple live games in Charlotte over the past few years too, and I understand what you guys are saying. It's just hard for me to see a 6'8 240lb guy playing much center in the NBA...

edit: The gist of what I'm trying to say is I think he needs to stay his senior year, and continue to develop all aspects of his game, not just his post up game... perimeter, handling, defense, passing, all of it... I hope he isn't just shoehorned into a post player
Sanogo is not a prospect currently.
His best hope is to show a mid range
face up jumper to have a shot at the four. He has a nice touch and a decent handle for a big so learning a face up game is doable.
If I were Danny I would play him some st the four in blowout’s . To prove he can play the position . Getting kids drafted certainly helps recruiting.
Jackson is the best PG ( physically )on the team . His court vision , and passing are there .
However he has to channel the emotion and play smarter. Right now he is auditioning for a position that requires a high BB I Q , which he currently lacks to a degree because he never was given a team to manage .

Reaction Score
Can Castle play point guard? It says combo
Short answer is yes. Certainly sounds like it from reading what all the recruiting analysts have been saying.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
At this point, it’s nearly impossible for us to know who is staying and who is going and the board has a long-standing policy against speculating about kids who might transfer, so let’s not do it.

Reaction Score
At this point, it’s nearly impossible for us to know who is staying and who is going and the board has a long-standing policy against speculating about kids who might transfer, so let’s not do it.
Especially this week.

Reaction Score
Hawkins has millions of dollars wanting for him to say the word. Hurley has said that he is a first round draft pick.

That ain't speculation. That's a fact.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom