New grid alert | Page 4 | The Boneyard

New grid alert

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Sorry. I played Division 1 baseball between funnels and bong hits because I actually had a genuine love for the sport and the camaraderie. I realize that my sport didn’t generate today’s football and basketball dollars, but I had a helluva time doing it. I must be from a different generation.
I like what I do for work. That means I shouldn’t make money off of it?

Imagine what the reaction would be if this board found out one of our starters was just playing “between funnels and hits”. Ppl would want Hurley fired for culture problems and would be threatening to not renew season tickets. We’re not taking the same sport and I don’t mean baseball vs basketball.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Sorry. I played Division 1 baseball between funnels and bong hits because I actually had a genuine love for the sport and the camaraderie. I realize that my sport didn’t generate today’s football and basketball dollars, but I had a helluva time doing it. I must be from a different generation.
Now imagine a booster was willing to pay for your bong hits.

Reaction Score
Please just stop.

The young men and women can go to school, genuinely love the sport and camaraderie, have fun, and still have the right to earn money off their own name, image, and likeness. These things aren’t mutually exclusive.

We’re talking about helping kids STAY in college because they can still earn some money. This is a good thing for everyone involved.

Reaction Score
I like what I do for work. That means I shouldn’t make money off of it?

Imagine what the reaction would be if this board found out one of our starters was just playing “between funnels and hits”. Ppl would want Hurley fired for culture problems and would be threatening to not renew season tickets. We’re not taking the same sport and I don’t mean baseball vs basketball.
Nobody would care if they're good enough, ask anyone who went to school with Cliff Robinson.

Reaction Score
So what happens if we end up with 16+ scholarship guys for next year, for whatever reason be it injuries/setbacks or the covid eligibility guys returning or everyone being happy and not wanting to transfer? I’ve never been one to force guys out of the program, but would it just be a matter of Hurley sitting down with guys and being honest that they won’t see the court?
yes, these conversations occur often at this level even when not over scholarship limit

Reaction Score
yes, these conversations occur often at this level even when not over scholarship limit
I'm not disagreeing with your point (that these conversations happen on most teams most years), but this is kind of a high stakes scenario. If, hypothetically, everyone who has eligibility left plus the 5 freshman want to play next year, the staff literally has to pick four of them and tell them there is no room for them on the team. This is a little different from the usual scenario, where they are simply telling players there are no minutes available for them.

One would think that the staff has pretty high confidence that at least 4 eligible guys won't want to return. I speculate that 2 of those guys are Alleyne and Newton. To bank on two other guys having a good enough season to go pro seems risky to me, though. Maybe they are confident a guy or 2 at the end of the bench will transfer?

Reaction Score
I'm not disagreeing with your point (that these conversations happen on most teams most years), but this is kind of a high stakes scenario. If, hypothetically, everyone who has eligibility left plus the 5 freshman want to play next year, the staff literally has to pick four of them and tell them there is no room for them on the team. This is a little different from the usual scenario, where they are simply telling players there are no minutes available for them.

One would think that the staff has pretty high confidence that at least 4 eligible guys won't want to return. I speculate that 2 of those guys are Alleyne and Newton. To bank on two other guys having a good enough season to go pro seems risky to me, though. Maybe they are confident a guy or 2 at the end of the bench will transfer?
There's zero risk at all.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Please elaborate.
For you and me sitting here on the outside, having 15-17 scholarship guys next year might seem really risky if guys come back. Especially when we have no control over them and can't talk to the players. Dan Hurley is not us, when he's recruiting a replacement for Jordan Hawkins or Adama Sanogo it's because he's aware of their intentions and is talking to them daily

Reaction Score
For you and me sitting here on the outside, having 15-17 scholarship guys next year might seem really risky if guys come back. Especially when we have no control over them and can't talk to the players. Dan Hurley is not us, when he's recruiting a replacement for Jordan Hawkins or Adama Sanogo it's because he's aware of their intentions and is talking to them daily
I get all that, but there's still a potential for a sicky stituation, assuming the staff is counting on some of the guys going pro. Any number of scenarios could result in a player wanting to stay another year, even if he was totally sure he was going to go pro before the season started. The player could get injured. He could underperform and find that his pro opportunities aren't what he expected. Things like that.

All I'm saying is that there is a possibility of the staff finding themselves in a situation where they have to tell one or more people who are expecting a scholarship that there is not one available for them.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I get all that, but there's still a potential for a sicky stituation, assuming the staff is counting on some of the guys going pro. Any number of scenarios could result in a player wanting to stay another year, even if he was totally sure he was going to go pro before the season started. The player could get injured. He could underperform and find that his pro opportunities aren't what he expected. Things like that.

All I'm saying is that there is a possibility of the staff finding themselves in a situation where they have to tell one or more people who are expecting a scholarship that there is not one available for them.
It's possible. But I am fairly sure Adama is gone. They are talking about him taking 3s for a reason. That's red meat for the NBA. Hawkins might not blow up, but they pretty much knew Bouknight would and they were right. Newton may want to go pro, even if it isn't a shot at the NBA. Neither he nor Alleyne would be eligible but for the dumb Covid 5th year. Springs has gutted it out for quite some time, but if he doesn't crack the rotation, he might well move on to a place where he can play.

It will work out.

Reaction Score

I get that, I just wouldn't consider that as high risk like you classify it. It's far more likely we're still filling open spots with transfers in the spring than forcing guys off the roster

Reaction Score
It's possible. But I am fairly sure Adama is gone. They are talking about him taking 3s for a reason. That's red meat for the NBA. Hawkins might not blow up, but they pretty much knew Bouknight would and they were right. Newton may want to go pro, even if it isn't a shot at the NBA. Neither he nor Alleyne would be eligible but for the dumb Covid 5th year. Springs has gutted it out for quite some time, but if he doesn't crack the rotation, he might well move on to a place where he can play.

It will work out.
Last year, I tried to say that Sanogo would translate better in the NBA as a power forward, and got lambasted for it saying he would never be able to play at PF. I just don't understand the mentality of some fans on here who think a kid cannot develop his game, it's so close minded. So, imo, he would really need to work on his shooting from outside and passing. It would benefit Adama greatly to stay his senior year and get a solid year under his belt playing at the 4 with big DC playing at the 5.

Reaction Score
Last year, I tried to say that Sanogo would translate better in the NBA as a power forward, and got lambasted for it saying he would never be able to play at PF. I just don't understand the mentality of some fans on here who think a kid cannot develop his game, it's so close minded. So, imo, he would really need to work on his shooting from outside and passing. It would benefit Adama greatly to stay his senior year and get a solid year under his belt playing at the 4 with big DC playing at the 5.
1 year later and this opinion is still just as dumb as the last time you posted it

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Have you watched 1 (one) nba game since you last posted this opinion?

Reaction Score
so you all think he will never be able to develop into a skilled player? gotcha......

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
so you all think he will never be able to develop into a skilled player? gotcha......
The dude is built like an offensive tackle and you think some “skill” will allow him to play perimeter basketball. You’d be better off arguing he can have a Derrick Favors type career at center.

I beg of you, please go watch a pre season nba game on right now. You won’t see anyone built like him playing PF.

Reaction Score
I think he’s already a very skilled player. I think he has an outside shot at an NBA career, especially if he has the 3 point shot they’re alluding to. But that career is going to be at the 5

Reaction Score
I've watched hundreds of NBA games and have been to multiple live games in Charlotte over the past few years too, and I understand what you guys are saying. It's just hard for me to see a 6'8 240lb guy playing much center in the NBA...

edit: The gist of what I'm trying to say is I think he needs to stay his senior year, and continue to develop all aspects of his game, not just his post up game... perimeter, handling, defense, passing, all of it... I hope he isn't just shoehorned into a post player

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I've watched hundreds of NBA games and have been to multiple live games in Charlotte over the past few years too, and I understand what you guys are saying. It's just hard for me to see a 6'8 240lb guy playing much center in the NBA...
He probably won't be a top center, but there are guys like Robert Williams and Dan Theis, among others, who get regular minutes at the 5. And we're not all that far removed from Elton Brand finishing his career at center.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

edit: The gist of what I'm trying to say is I think he needs to stay his senior year, and continue to develop all aspects of his game, not just his post up game... perimeter, handling, defense, passing, all of it... I hope he isn't just shoehorned into a post player
He’s already really good at being a center, he’s not throwing that away for a minuscule chance at playing PF. He’s just gotta develop the shot for a chance of playing the 5 at an nba level.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom