New Athletic Complex Videos/Pics/Updates | Page 5 | The Boneyard

New Athletic Complex Videos/Pics/Updates

Reaction Score

Can't tell from the video, is the home plate area dirt/clay or synthetic? My oldest son plays catcher (and everywhere else on 13U) and detests synthetic after he had to deal with a turf field at a tournament about a year ago and watched errant pitches bounce over his head instead of hop into his glove.

Reaction Score
Can't tell from the video, is the home plate area dirt/clay or synthetic? My oldest son plays catcher (and everywhere else on 13U) and detests synthetic after he had to deal with a turf field at a tournament about a year ago and watched errant pitches bounce over his head instead of hop into his glove.

I believe the entire field is synthetic.

Reaction Score

Its an adjustment for sure but the bounce from a 13U pitcher is a bit different than a college arm. Turf is almost a requirement for a northern field now if you hope on getting more that 15 home games in.

Reaction Score
Its an adjustment for sure but the bounce from a 13U pitcher is a bit different than a college arm. Turf is almost a requirement for a northern field now if you hope on getting more that 15 home games in.

Completely agree. That year, the kids has just moved to 50' for 11U from 46' for 10U and that 4 extra feet really threw them off for a while. The pitches that did nto make it across Home Plate often bounced straight-up in the air a good 10' to 15' right off the turf. The kids moved from 50' to 60' this fall for the start of 13U baseball and luckily the 1 turf field we played on was a lot better. Plus, the team only had one problematic pitcher who could not get his off-speed stuff over Home Plate due to the change and refused to stop throwing-it because it was his 'out' pitch on the 50' mound that summer.

Of course, I assume UConn has professional to make sure the new field is in top condition instead of a bunch of middle-age volunteer coaches rushing around after work to get the field ready for a game after 5 days of rain.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Odd. Looks to be asymmetrical seating. Third base side looks like it extends beyond dugout.
Maybe because of berm capacity on first base side?

Home dugout is on third base side so you would expect more fans on that side and they get to cram as many other fans onto the berm and the outfield (plus they can expand bleacher seating down the road if the demand arises).

Reaction Score
Is there any luxury seating behind the glass? Sort of reminds a little of URI football seating against the Ryan Center. I believe they have seating inside Ryan for football.

I think some of the boxes at BC open into both Alumni Stadium and Conte Forum.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The good news is that for next year's opener on the field Morrone and the performance center will also be completed. It will look great.

Reaction Score
I get why but the baseball seating just looks incomplete. Being retired, I do look forward to catching a few games and matches next year!

CL82

Reaction Score
I get why but the baseball seating just looks incomplete. Being retired, I do look forward to catching a few games and matches next year!
It can easily be expanded if there is demand.

Reaction Score
It can easily be expanded if there is demand.

Coach Penders in interviews has talked about people setting up blankets and lawn chairs on the berm beyond the outfield fence. He thinks UConn can get quite a crowd out there.

Reaction Score
Boston College new baseball stadium which seats only 1,000 has a mirror seating design of UConn new stadium. There's limited seating on the third base side with no beam seating.
bc.jpg

Reaction Score
Coach Penders in interviews has talked about people setting up blankets and lawn chairs on the berm beyond the outfield fence. He thinks UConn can get quite a crowd out there.
I was thinking about setting up some chairs on the berm just about where foul territory necks down to the outfield. Guessing BYO stuff a no no with concessions available inside the park? Beautiful setting!

CL82

Reaction Score
Is this the performance center?
1587391656762.png

It looks good with the brick facing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member