Nelson-Ododa and Williams invited to USA Basketball Women's National Team Training Camp | The Boneyard

Nelson-Ododa and Williams invited to USA Basketball Women's National Team Training Camp

Reaction Score

"Members of the 2019-20 USA Basketball Women’s National Team, as well as USA National Team hopefuls, will take part in a training camp at the University of Miami Sept. 17-19 ahead of the 2019 FIBA AmeriCup, which will be held Sept. 22-29 in San Juan, Puerto Rico. The 12-member USA AmeriCup Team, which will be selected from the group of training camp participants, is expected to be announced prior to the team’s departure on Sept. 19."

- Sue Bird (Seattle Storm)
- Diana Taurasi (Phoenix Mercury)
- Tina Charles (New York Liberty)
- Napheesa Collier (Minnesota Lynx)
- Stefanie Dolson (Chicago Sky)
- Katie Lou Samuelson (Chicago Sky)
- Olivia Nelson-Ododa (Connecticut)
- Christyn Williams (Connecticut)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Does anyone understand the rationale behind inviting Nelson-Ododa?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

An honest question to ponder. I think the only way to answer it is to suggest we read between the lines. That’s what I’m doing. The people that monitor and run the program see something in those two, and want to begin their “indoctrination” into the program and that level of competition.

Anyone that wondered or were skeptical about their potential going forward just had those questions answered. The selection committee had their choice of anyone in WCBB, and they chose those two. It’s not complicated. They’re professionals, they do this for a living. They know potential when they see it. :cool: They see the same things in them we do. The only difference is they’re not biased.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
An honest question to ponder. I think the only way to answer it is to suggest we read between the lines. That’s what I’m doing. The people that monitor and run the program see something in those two, and want to begin their “indoctrination” into the program and that level of competition.

Anyone that wondered or were skeptical about their potential going forward just had those questions answered. The selection committee had their choice of anyone in WCBB, and they chose those two. It’s not complicated. They know potential when they see it. :cool:

Good point. I hadn't thought of it that way.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
LadyVol fans will probably blame Geno. I do however have a problem with the omission of Sabrina. I would have loved to see her out there. I do like the inclusion of Canada, DeShields, Plum and Loyd. I would have liked to see McCowan given some love as well.

Reaction Score
LadyVol fans will probably blame Geno. I do however have a problem with the omission of Sabrina. I would have loved to see her out there. I do like the inclusion of Canada, DeShields, Plum and Loyd. I would have liked to see McCowan given some love as well.
No kidding. McCowan should be there and definitely Sabrina. I'm not sure Williams deserves to be there over college players that weren't invited.

The biggest eye roll inclusion would have to be KLS. She could barely get off the bench this year. Why is she invited?

Reaction Score
I believe Nelson-Ododa and Katie Lou Samuelson were both invited because of their pst experience and willingness to play for USA basketball. Especially this time around, new/fresh talent is probably welcome, even if they won’t play in this cycle or even the World Cup in a couple of years. Sue and Diana are likely on their way out, and Fowles and Charles likely have one or two more Olympic cycles to play before they start winding down their careers, and with some stars questionable for this Olympic team, the inclusion of younger talent might be to get them experience sooner rather than later. No guards—with maybe the exception of Loyd at the last World Cup—have been legitimate contenders for Sue’s or Diana’s replacements. That makes the exclusion of Sabrina Ionescu even more confusing, though maybe she chose not to attend for some reason.

Reaction Score
The last time KLS played on a USA team was 2014. She made the 2015 U19 the, but was injured. And then she did go to two more trials that she was invited to. Other rookies deserved to go before she did. Especially maybe like the other 3 players were all rookie.

ONO going over Brianna Turner is laughable. They would play the same role during camp. A laterally quick big who has length, and limited offensive capability. Why was ONO invited over a more experienced player, who was All-Rookie, and who has played on more USA teams? Hmm. I wonder.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Is there any chance she didn't make herself available? The selection of Hebard (so not anti-Oregon bias) and Wiese (so not anti-Pac-12/West Coast guard bias) makes the exclusion of Ionescu even more baffling.

And yeah, no offense to the homers among you, but the selection of KLS is baffling on multiple levels, because as of now Chicago is still in the playoffs, so there's also a theoretical possibility KLS wouldn't be free for the training camp...

FarmFan, just so you know, we’re ALL certified card carrying unashamed “UConn homers” here. ;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
OK I just going to go ahead and say this: Khadijah Sessions? She is probably familiar with Dawn's style/offense but is she the type of player that going to give the other players in the gym a real run?
Off the top of my dome Tiffany Mitchell, Allisha Gray, Tyasha Harris, or Kaela Davis would provide better competition.

Reaction Score
The last time KLS played on a USA team was 2014. She made the 2015 U19 the, but was injured. And then she did go to two more trials that she was invited to. Other rookies deserved to go before she did. Especially maybe like the other 3 players were all rookie.

ONO going over Brianna Turner is laughable. They would play the same role during camp. A laterally quick big who has length, and limited offensive capability. Why was ONO invited over a more experienced player, who was All-Rookie, and who has played on more USA teams? Hmm. I wonder.

What has been Turner's involvement with USA lately?

Reaction Score
What has been Turner's involvement with USA lately?
She's been rehabbing from injuries in most of the off seasons where she could have been on some of the teams. Her last team was the 2014 U18 squad.

However, she played well during the last part of her rookie season. Far more deserving than ONO

Reaction Score
Why was she chosen at all? Good Lord

...ok, I'll play along with this game, because she's a Husky? Christyn Williams and Olivia are a match set, one does not go without the other? Do you know Turner was not invited....and chose to stay home? Good Lord!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She's been rehabbing from injuries in most of the off seasons where she could have been on some of the teams. Her last team was the 2014 U18 squad.

However, she played well during the last part of her rookie season. Far more deserving than ONO
So she has passed on USA for 5 years? And you assume that this time it was different?

Reaction Score
So she has passed on USA for 5 years? And you assume that this time it was different?
The one year she passed was the 2015 U19 games or the Pan Am games. That is the only event she passed up on. Summer 2016 she had surgery on her shoulder, and was rehabbing. That summer there was not any teams except the 3x3 anyway. Summer 2017 had that U23 team that she could have tried out for, but she tore her ACL in the tournament and was recovering. Summer 2018 did not have any tournament for the college players, except for 3x3. There were camps during the fall of 2018 that several college players were invited to, but she wasn't invited I would bet. She wasn't on the collegiate seen for over a year. Summer 2019, came off of a season where she was completely healthy in college, had good numbers, and had a promising rookie season.

So Yes. I assume this time would be different if she got invited.

...ok, I'll play along with this game, because she's a Husky? Christyn Williams and Olivia are a match set, one does not go without the other? Do you know Turner was not invited....and chose to stay home? Good Lord!
I think you're on to something. Williams and ONO have the potential to be future AAs no doubt. However, rising sophomores in college get invited to the camp, even though their numbers don't justify that. The last two Huskies that were sent to camp were KLS and Napheesa after having First-team AA seasons after their sophomore year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom