Need Thoughtful Analysis | The Boneyard

Need Thoughtful Analysis

Reaction Score
So, when RE2.0 departed, the expected early signing recruiting class was fairly highly ranked by independent analysts. So what do the BY gurus think now that UConn has experienced adds and subtracts? How does the class "in the barn" now compared to the expected class back in September. Thoughts?

Reaction Score
So, when RE2.0 departed, the expected early signing recruiting class was fairly highly ranked by independent analysts. So what do the BY gurus think now that UConn has experienced adds and subtracts? How does the class "in the barn" now compared to the expected class back in September. Thoughts?

I don't think it's a question worth answering. We hired anew coach in November. No one should expect to be able to judge his recruiting off this year's class. We should be hoping that it's put together with scotch tape as best it can be and that one year from now we're confident we have a better recruiting team.

Unless you wanted to imply we should have been unhappy with Danny Hurley because he lost Akinjo and ended up with Brandon ADams.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's a question worth answering. We hired anew coach in November. No one should expect to be able to judge his recruiting off this year's class. We should be hoping that it's put together with scotch tape as best it can be and that one year from now we're confident we have a better recruiting team.

Unless you wanted to imply we should have been unhappy with Danny Hurley because he lost Akinjo and ended up with Brandon ADams.
Nope, just trying to understand the situation. In no way a judgement of what the coaching staff has accomplished. It is always understood that in these situations there will be losses. Heck, the fact that they were able to pull some players back into the fold is quite amazing in itself. The staff get full marks for that. But I am an engineer, and engineers like to look at the unvarnished truth. In contrast to some other professions .... (No, that wasn't a dig.)

And that is, in many ways, why the title of this thread includes the word "Thoughtful". Looking for an analysis uncritical in tone. But also unvarnished.

Reaction Score

At this point I’m more focused on who we bring in transfer wise.

Reaction Score
I think the staff did a solid job getting recommitments from players that had solid offers elsewhere. Getting Hoffman was excellent as well. The only player I was bummed that left was Sallis. I really liked his highlights and think Marshall is getting a really good player.

Reaction Score
And like Zoo Cougar said - the portal will be telling.

I love the Guidine signing as I think he is an instant starter on the interior. Tight End is woefully lacking depth and experience so Bo should help in two tight sets. Millen is a dice roll and I am hoping Coach Mora gets another qb in the portal to compete. (Need a freshman too but if we have a frosh competing for starting qb job we’re are in deep, deep, trouble)

Reaction Score
And like Zoo Cougar said - the portal will be telling.

I love the Guidine signing as I think he is an instant starter on the interior. Tight End is woefully lacking depth and experience so Bo should help in two tight sets. Millen is a dice roll and I am hoping Coach Mora gets another qb in the portal to compete. (Need a freshman too but if we have a frosh competing for starting qb job we’re are in deep, deep, trouble)

The game for kids in the portal is just starting. I would think we will see more OL.

Reaction Score
So far, I think it is a good class for Jim Mora. I believe we'll add more in February and who know what will happen between now (1:42 pm Thursday December 16) and the end of the period. Not sure if anyone we are looking at signed yet and we might get a few surprises. Cale Mullins was a surprise IMO. Was it?

Reaction Score
The game for kids in the portal is just starting. I would think we will see more OL.
Agreed. I think we just have to be patient. I think biz pointed out in another thread (my apologies if it was someone else) - the first wave will be looking for P5 schools - UCONN will come into play when some of those players (and there will be a lot) don’t get the offer they were looking for. And that still means there will be plenty of players available that will make this team better next year. I am not hopeful that UCONN will get a bunch of those players, I am confident they will.

Reaction Score
Rankings wise, probably lower with Mora's class. But I think we improve because of the transfers. I think the mere fact that we have someone that's willing to adjust to today's game is going to completely change how this team looks next year. I think Mora sees he has a lot of pieces and he wanted to add depth with this class because lack of time to truly evaluate any kids.

Reaction Score
Seems like mostly high-level FCS players. Definitely need some P5 quality players out of the portal to salt the team and make major improvements. Mora cant get there from here with what he has.

Reaction Score
I think that recruiting has changed somewhat....with the portal.

Coaches are actively recruiting the Portal to fill needs....coaches have acknowledged the value of cruising the Portal and maybe it takes a class a while to form.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
QB is going to make or break this class. When you fire you coach after 2 games you can kiss any chance of a normal class worth evaluating goodbye. Same with a Coach hired a few weeks before signing day. We got what we got and hope to get lucky.

If you are looking for objective facts we got some size, if not a ton of guys with enviable offer sheets. The transfer QB looks really good on paper but then again, this is his third stop. If the transfers can start real soon and a few of the others in a couple years they we'll have done well. If we've found a serviceable 3-year starter, we've hit a home run.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Seems like mostly high-level FCS players. Definitely need some P5 quality players out of the portal to salt the team and make major improvements. Mora cant get there from here with what he has.
Not sure how you can say that until they actually play a game.

This class will not be known for a couple of years but I like the make-up of it with three O-lineman,three Rush ends and tight ends plus bringing in the player of the year in Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Not sure how you can say that until they actually play a game.

This class will not be known for a couple of years but I like the make-up of it with three O-lineman,three Rush ends and tight ends plus bringing in the player of the year in Connecticut.
Agreed. Mora & Co. did a great job salvaging this class. Seems to have changed the psyche of this program and given us some good pr nationally, things that were needed after the REII debacle.
Ultimately the improvement will have to show up on the field but so far the Mora hire has been a home run for the program. And kudos to ad Dave as well.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
At this point I’m more focused on who we bring in transfer wise.
Not that we don't need an influx of transfers at key positions, but I'd be happy if Mora's staff could actually coach up what we already have and improve the play-calling and schemes on both sides.

Whether they're going to be good or not, I'm looking forward to the the two mountain men on the OL, Murawski and Wayburn.

Reaction Score
About the same with a decent edge to Mora for the portal additions.
IMHO I’ve noticed a different sort of kid committing to Mora than I saw committing to Edsall. It’s arguable but maybe even a very slight uptick in overall talent among the kids committing to Mora. Going forward I think we’ll see a great many more in state kids considering UConn than we saw under Edsall and his staff, and that includes in state kids already playing college ball who have entered the portal. On keeping Spanos I have mixed feelings, but maybe necessary to prevent a larger exodus of transfers, especially on defense.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Agreed. Mora & Co. did a great job salvaging this class. Seems to have changed the psyche of this program and given us some good pr nationally, things that were needed after the REII debacle.
Ultimately the improvement will have to show up on the field but so far the Mora hire has been a home run for the program. And kudos to ad Dave as well.
IMHO I’ve noticed a different sort of kid committing to Mora than I saw committing to Edsall. It’s arguable but maybe even a very slight uptick in overall talent among the kids committing to Mora. Going forward I think we’ll see a great many more in state kids considering UConn than we saw under Edsall and his staff, and that includes in state kids already playing college ball who have entered the portal. On keeping Spanos I have mixed feelings, but maybe necessary to prevent a larger exodus of transfers, especially on defense.

I think I mentioned this in another thread but a nice thing about getting an "outsider" from outside the northeast was Mora was quickly able to identify prep schools as a recruiting mechanism. Rather than write off kids who come up north for a year before moving on to other schools, Mora took the approach of the kids have already left home, so let's try to get a few.

Which I believe is a positive for recruiting and talent.

Reaction Score
“Home Run”…ha ha .. better than wishing for a Hail Mary,

Reaction Score
I like your thoughts on the possible positive point ( prevent a larger exodus) of keeping Spanos. But he is hired so ‘ it be what it be’.

Reaction Score
Not that we don't need an influx of transfers at key positions, but I'd be happy if Mora's staff could actually coach up what we already have and improve the play-calling and schemes on both sides.

Whether they're going to be good or not, I'm looking forward to the the two mountain men on the OL, Murawski and Wayburn.
Its happened before that a change in coaching is all an existing roster needs to play better on the field. Its all about position coaches coaching them up to put them in a better position to succeed. It think Mora thinks they have/potentially have the physical tools (King is staying), but subpar technique (especially on both lines) prevented us from employing more effective plays/schemes. These guys looked like FBS players but did not perform like them. I’m actually excited to see what this staff of assistants does with a roster that will be 2/3rd the same personnel.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom