Need more high level offensive talent | The Boneyard

Need more high level offensive talent

Reaction Score
Thought they played pretty well on defense. Besides those late threes Nova was not good from three. I'd like to think the Huskies had something to do with that.

But they need more offensive playmakers. Some guys are just too inexperienced (e.g. Jackson and Sanogo) and some just aren't good enough or consistent enough. Tough to beat a very good team like that. Most of that second half, with Bouknight struggling, was brutal.

They'll get there. Rome wasn't built in a day. Sigh.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm hoping and gjessing foul trouble had something to do with the minutes. At the end you are just hoping for a couple 3's. Unfortunately our upperclassmen are our least talented players.

That is the biggest dilemma.

Once Bouk gets slowed down there is no there there to take over the flowing offense.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping and gjessing foul trouble had something to do with the minutes. At the end you are just hoping for a couple 3's. Unfortunately our upperclassmen are our least talented players.
Yup. Need more talent. It's coming. But you need a few years to do that. Takes time.

Reaction Score
I don’t think its necessarily higher level offensive talent that we need, I think we just need to be more consistent and efficient outside of Bouknight. Cole had 10 pts today, but he shot 20% from the field 2-10. Tyrese Martin had a quiet 9 point 11 rebound game, and Sanogo showed he has a lot of upside, but not quite at the point where he can take the game over offensively. Polley attempted 3 field goals today, and Jackson attempted just 1. Gaffney had that nice little 5 point burst, and I thought he maybe heating up, but nothing came of that the rest of the game.

Reaction Score
I agree but if he's going to play 25 mins he needs to take more than 3 shots. They need to run some stuff for him, if he takes 7 or 8 shots it's a good bet 3 will go in and maybe a different game.

Reaction Score
This team cannot play defense; fouls committed are same as the beginning of season. Team as whole may be worse shooters in Big East.
Truly hard to watch since same errors and weaknesses occur in every game, including wins.
Jackson supposed to be the next coming - he has not shot except occasional tapings
Hopefully Hurley has recruits coming in that can make baskets rather that leap and touch the top of backboard.

Reaction Score
I don’t think its necessarily higher level offensive talent that we need, I think we just need to be more consistent and efficient outside of Bouknight. Cole had 10 pts today, but he shot 20% from the field 2-10. Tyrese Martin had a quiet 9 point 11 rebound game, and Sanogo showed he has a lot of upside, but not quite at the point where he can take the game over offensively. Polley attempted 3 field goals today, and Jackson attempted just 1. Gaffney had that nice little 5 point burst, and I thought he maybe heating up, but nothing came of that the rest of the game.
Consistency is a trait of higher level offensive players in my opinion

Reaction Score
Higher level talent would be "more consistent and efficient".

Reaction Score
Good news is we still have two scholarships to fill next year (assuming no one transfers) and have some solid recruits coming in. Really hoping we can find a way to add some shooting with at least one of those extra spots

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good news is we still have two scholarships to fill next year (assuming no one transfers) and have some solid recruits coming in next year. Really hoping we can find a way to add some shooting with at least one of those extra spots
Funny enough, it’s probably the easiest skillset to find these days, it’s everything else we expect them to do that makes them so unique.

Reaction Score
Thought they played pretty well on defense. Besides those late threes Nova was not good from three. I'd like to think the Huskies had something to do with that.

But they need more offensive playmakers. Some guys are just too inexperienced (e.g. Jackson and Sanogo) and some just aren't good enough or consistent enough. Tough to beat a very good team like that. Most of that second half, with Bouknight struggling, was brutal.

When you’re building Rome next year do have a Bouknight among the 2 by 4’s?

Reaction Score

Jackson and Sanogo will be way better next season. Hawkins is that athletic bucket getter we need but we need one more.

Reaction Score

It really is amazing how long it takes to turn this around. And further evidence that no one should feel anything for that former coach other than disdain. His unwillingness to put in the work is STILL having an impact on this program. We will get there. But man did he singlehandedly set us back for half a decade if not more.

Reaction Score
I do want to add to my OP here that if they played well, heck if 2 other guys had good games, they could have beaten Villanova. But why didn't 2 other guys step up? That's what really good teams do.

Reaction Score
It really is amazing how long it takes to turn this around. And further evidence that no one should feel anything for that former coach other than disdain. His unwillingness to put in the work is STILL having an impact on this program. We will get there. But man did he singlehandedly set us back for half a decade if not more.
You're overreacting, an injury free non-Covid year and this team is a 3 seed.

Reaction Score
Great post. Been screaming from the mountaintops you can have all the gritty dudes you want, but at the end of the day you need playmakers and esp. guards that can create something.

Where are the jet quick Ryan Boatright-lite types? Only one Boat I know.

I worry we're going to be so incredibly offensively challenged next year without Bouk. Some of our guards I feel like us dudes in our 30s & 40s could practically stick with them - they have such little quickness and/or shiftiness.

We have SOOOO many good pieces, Martin is really nice complimentary player, Andre can be an NBA guy, Adama and Akok are so talented, but can't piss them away by not having UCONN guards!!! Love the class coming in but Hawkins looks more like a wing/shooter than creator and Diggins looks solid but isn't a jet by any means.

There are a gazillion quick guards, go get one Coach!!! We have so many nice pieces, but it's a GLARING need.

Reaction Score
Great post. Been screaming from the mountaintops you can have all the gritty dudes you want, but at the end of the day you need playmakers and esp. guards that can create something.

Where are the jet quick Ryan Boatright-lite types? Only one Boat I know.

I worry we're going to be so incredibly offensively challenged next year without Bouk. Some of our guards I feel like us dudes in our 30s & 40s could practically stick with them - they have such little quickness and/or shiftiness.

We have SOOOO many good pieces, Martin is really nice complimentary player, Andre can be an NBA guy, Adama and Akok are so talented, but can't piss them away by not having UCONN guards!!! Love the class coming in but Hawkins looks more like a wing/shooter than creator and Diggins looks solid but isn't a jet by any means.

There are a gazillion quick guards, go get one Coach!!! We have so many nice pieces, but it's a GLARING need.
A guard who can get his own shot. It's too much to hope for Bouk level talent but we need someone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom