Need a new coach, but the hate for Edsall is ridiculous | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Need a new coach, but the hate for Edsall is ridiculous

Status
Not open for further replies.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
And it isn’t a national championship either. Some might argue that we didn’t even deserve to be there. But a comparison to Calhoun?????? That’s ridiculous. He’s beaten the best of the best in college basketball many times.
Well, to be perfectly fair, it took JC 13 years to get that NC. Edsall 1.0 left after 11, so who knows what he could''ve done in those extra two years.

:ducking:

Reaction Score
He literally is the Jim Calhoun of football for UCONN. He built it up and left it with UCONN administration and they F it up. He came back to try to fix it, but couldn’t do it for various reasons. UCONN football fans act like they have a storied history...delusional fan base.
LOL, I missed the team part where Jim Calhoun left his team waiting in the locker room while he was taking a private jet to his new job.

Reaction Score
LOL, I missed the team part where Jim Calhoun left his team waiting in the locker room while he was taking a private jet to his new job.
Has nothing to do with it buddy. You in your feelings cause he left without notice? Soft. Fact is he left a decent program and UCONN F it up so badly he couldn’t fix it the 2nd time.

Reaction Score
Honestly this thread should be called the hate of UConn football. Everyone thinks that UConn football should drop to FCS are you stupid. At least as an independent they can get paid top dollar to play big schools. Independent let’s us build the right way. The next coach better be someone that can turn a program around and rebuild the right way and win. Because Randy is retiring it’s up to us UConn fans to support the young me . I know this is off subject but I hate seeing tweets bad mouthing UConn football. “People better get us now. That's all. You better get us now.”-Dan Hurley.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He literally is the Jim Calhoun of football for UCONN. He built it up and left it with UCONN administration and they F it up. He came back to try to fix it, but couldn’t do it for various reasons. UCONN football fans act like they have a storied history...delusional fan base.

This is why I say this place is chock full of nitwits.

Reaction Score
I was 100% wrong. I actually wanted Randy back. I thought that only he had the secret recipe to be successful here.

I didn’t even hold his departure against him because Jeff Hathaway was so awful.

but

He’s been a giant red flag since he returned.

The sheer volume of outbound transfers has been shocking.

You might say, that this means nothing as many of them departed to FCS teams.

To that I say, most of those FCS teams would beat us.

Some of you have been looking at this the wrong way all along.

Reaction Score
The hate is not all warranted but Edsall does have to be the blame is some of this. I do agree our fan base is a little delusional on UConn’s greatness and who will come to coach the team. Hopefully we don’t strike out again on the next hire.

Reaction Score
Troll

Reaction Score
Honestly this thread should be called the hate of UConn football. Everyone thinks that UConn football should drop to FCS are you stupid. At least as an independent they can get paid top dollar to play big schools. Independent let’s us build the right way. The next coach better be someone that can turn a program around and rebuild the right way and win. Because Randy is retiring it’s up to us UConn fans to support the young me . I know this is off subject but I hate seeing tweets bad mouthing UConn football. “People better get us now. That's all. You better get us now.”-Dan Hurley.
*men not me spell check

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
I think it's pretty ballsy to create a BY profile, and then slam anybody who doesn't have love for Randy Edsall right now. And to start your first post with "we need a new coach" after the current coach has announced his retirement is just shallow and pedantic.

I think the folks who are here have been here through some lean years, some great years, and a whole lot of really pathetic years, and for you to jump in and scold them is laughable. Any negative sentiment toward Randy has been earned. It will fade with time, just like the vitriol that he created with his departure for Maryland.

You can love the school, the team and the players, and still hate the coach. We haven't exactly had a decade of coach-love going on in here. You might want to create your next post taking to task all those who want to play football in the FCS or worse. Most of those are hoops-only fans and probably deserve your spanking.

Reaction Score
I don’t think anyone would argue with you on that. Edsall was successful, But you’re comparing Edsall to a coach who brought a basketball program that could compare to schools like an Alabama, Clemson, and the Ohio States of basketball and that’s the difference, and I’m delusional… smh
It's much much easier to do in basketball compared to football.

Reaction Score
Has nothing to do with it buddy. You in your feelings cause he left without notice? Soft. Fact is he left a decent program and UCONN F it up so badly he couldn’t fix it the 2nd time.
The "reality" in your handle is the definition of irony.

Reaction Score
One coach is in the hall of fame and had the best program build in the history of their sport. The other is Randy Edsall.

The high water mark of his career was taking an 8-4 team to the Fiesta Bowl because the committee was contractually obligated to take someone from the Big East. If UConn was in a non-P6 league at that time they would've been in the Doritos Bowl on some random Wednesday in December on ESPNNEWS.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Randy did not move us up a division. He was hired as a 1A coach and was retained when we moved up.Dom Perno is a better parallel up to a point. Perno was okay until we jumped to the BE. RE is not incompetent the way Diaco is. but he caught a major break when Dan O stayed home. His defensive philosophy didn't work well when he was a 1A coach, I attended a few of those games, and it doesn't work well now. Only a couple of his better teams were noticeably relatively consistently good defenders. We got into the Fiesta Bowl on the strength of a great FG and a down year in the BE, One big difference in RE 2.0 is the total absence of competitive OL play. Couple it with subpar QB play, bad play calling and totally unaggressive D and you get what seems to be the 2020s version of RE which is more conservative than even his old version. He was never the worst, but he was never as good as he imagined himself. Give him credit for doing a decent job. but even having to rebuild the DIaco mess, he has done less with less and it wasn't looking better. He really should leave now, but I hope the players fight for him and maybe surprise us. Happy Jewish New Year,

Reaction Score
It's much much easier to do in basketball compared to football.
So Calhouns success can be compared to Edsalls because it’s easier to win according to you? I disagree, its difficult to win championships and consistently beat the teams at the top no matter what sport you play.

Reaction Score
That he left was no biggie it’s how he left that never sat well with me. To me that was a sign of character. The AD bringing him back was obviously a mistake, but I never bought into RE 2.0. We need to nail this next hire, or else.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
FWIW, RE UConn record before joining the BE was 20-26, although trending upward.

Reaction Score
The thing with Edsall is that some of us trusted him that he was coming here not to provide a job for his son and to pick up a paycheck for himself. If he thought the task was too high, he would never had returned, we thought. But he made so little progress in his second stint, it looks like he indeed was here to collect a check and provide his son needed experience. Maybe he will prove us wrong the rest of this season.

Reaction Score
I think it's pretty ballsy to create a BY profile, and then slam anybody who doesn't have love for Randy Edsall right now. And to start your first post with "we need a new coach" after the current coach has announced his retirement is just shallow and pedantic.

I think the folks who are here have been here through some lean years, some great years, and a whole lot of really pathetic years, and for you to jump in and scold them is laughable. Any negative sentiment toward Randy has been earned. It will fade with time, just like the vitriol that he created with his departure for Maryland.

You can love the school, the team and the players, and still hate the coach. We haven't exactly had a decade of coach-love going on in here. You might want to create your next post taking to task all those who want to play football in the FCS or worse. Most of those are hoops-only fans and probably deserve your spanking.
Lol, your too old to be so emotional about a kids game lol

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nope, any goodwill went with him on that private plane to MD. He's rightly being judged now on his work here as HCRE 2.0. Maybe the worst HC performance of all-time in D-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom