Need a low end snow blower/thrower | The Boneyard

Need a low end snow blower/thrower

Reaction Score
Not trying to spend much but need something good enough periodically go out and do the side walk and a little around the cars .. I'm thinking cordless electric.. my max budget for now is $375.... Thoughts?? Suggestions???

Reaction Score
Don't waste your money on an electric snowblower. Get a small gas one. Best time to buy is right after winter is of course. 375 400 bucks you should be able get something like a 6hp yard machine at home Depot in the spring. If you buy now your going to pay big $$

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Had an 18" wide Toro electric model that did really well through the winter of 95-96 in Fairfield when we got 84 total inches of snow. It easily handled 8-10 inches of new snow, even the heavier variety and threw it out and up over 4'. Had it in my attic here in TX until last year when I gave it to my brother-in-law who moved to KC. He's kept his driveway clear for two winters now through similar conditions. Neither of us has ever had a problem with it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Don't waste your money on an electric snowblower. Get a small gas one. Best time to buy is right after winter is of course. 375 400 bucks you should be able get something like a 6hp yard machine at home Depot in the spring. If you buy now your going to pay big $$
I did just that and got a MTD about ten years ago, it still works great and if the wind is just right I can hit my neighbor's driveway. It's similar to this with a dual auger.

mtd-snowblowers-8-26.jpeg

A snow blower is one of the few things I'd take as a display model. There's no real wear and tear from it and it saves you the hassle of assembly.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
IMHO, a snow blower is truly one of those things where you get what you pay for. For what it's worth, I've had a Craftsman for the last 8 seasons.

Reaction Score
I had an MTD single stage for 15 years. Couldn't kill it. Finally upgraded to a 2 stage Cub Cadet. Saw a single stage MTD for $349 on njsupply.com

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Not trying to spend much but need something good enough periodically go out and do the side walk and a little around the cars .. I'm thinking cordless electric.. my max budget for now is $375.... Thoughts?? Suggestions???

PM me tomorrow. I've got a "high-end" snowblower that is in great condition but needs a tune-up and the pull cord replaced. It's electric start though, if you plug it in with an extension cord. Tires, not tracks. I bought an old pickup and threw a plow on it because I'm lazy and couldn't drink and use the snowblower at the same time.

I don't remember the exact specs but it seems to be more than what you need it to do. I'll send you pics and let you come check it out if you're interested. It's always been stored in my barn and I was going to ask $1000 for it, the motor alone is worth $375+.

If you like it, it's yours for $350. But, if you have any elderly neighbors, you have to do their driveway/walk too.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Not sure about you but I'd rather be warm and listening to Hair Nation on Sirius while plowing than be cold and using both hands while blowing.

:)
Podcasts and/or TuneInRadio on my phone with ear buds.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Troy Bilt. 5 hp. 12 years zero issues, did the job every single time.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
IMHO, a snow blower is truly one of those things where you get what you pay for. For what it's worth, I've had a Craftsman for the last 8 seasons.
We bought a house back in May and I'm really thinking I need to get a snowblower. After being out there shoveling while every other person on our block is snowblowing, it really sucks! I'm also the only person on our street with a push lawn mower. Maybe we moved into a neighborhood that's too high end for us! :D It doesn't help having two little ones under 3 so the wife is inside with them while I'm out shoveling. I'm really gonna push for getting one after the winter is over!

Reaction Score
Bought a Troy Bilt Snow King @ 20 years ago. The electric start is shot but it starts every time with pull cord. I have a 150 yard long driveway double wide & zip through heavy snow in just over an hour. Mechanic says that it has @ another 5 seasons in it. Best $ 1,200.00 ever spent.

Reaction Score
We bought a house back in May and I'm really thinking I need to get a snowblower. After being out there shoveling while every other person on our block is snowblowing, it really sucks! I'm also the only person on our street with a push lawn mower. Maybe we moved into a neighborhood that's too high end for us! :D It doesn't help having two little ones under 3 so the wife is inside with them while I'm out shoveling. I'm really gonna push for getting one after the winter is over!
It has been mentioned on here before...if you have a lower budget keep your eye on ebay, craig's List and stuff like that starting in the spring. Like has been mentioned on here...if you buy a decent machine and take care of it, it will last you 15-20 years. I would do the same for a mower...you may even be able to find a mower with either a plow or snowblower and kill 2 birds with one stone.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
It has been mentioned on here before...if you have a lower budget keep your eye on ebay, craig's List and stuff like that starting in the spring. Like has been mentioned on here...if you buy a decent machine and take care of it, it will last you 15-20 years. I would do the same for a mower...you may even be able to find a mower with either a plow or snowblower and kill 2 birds with one stone.
the other point on the used market, you should also look for the version of the machine you are buying.

Some models are built for sale at the big box store and are not of the same quality as the ones sold at the dealer... not sure if the model numbers I've it away but it is something to watch out for.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom