Men - NCAA Proposed Changes | The Boneyard

Men NCAA Proposed Changes

Reaction Score
Wow this is really going to shake up the landscape. I wonder if all the Big East teams will be willing to absorb the increased investment.
Yeah this seems like it would benefit the P5 programs significantly more. I'm sure UConn would be willing to invest, but some of the other Big East schools I'm not so sure

Reaction Score
Seems objectively horrible for parity in college baseball. Hope we can still compete in the future but have my doubts if this goes through.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Seems objectively horrible for parity in college baseball. Hope we can still compete in the future but have my doubts if this goes through.
I’m sure we will make the investment for baseball, but it probably means that we will reduce the number of sports we carry at UConn. I suspect that it will impact the smaller private schools harder.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
For every increase in scholarship for baseball, there needs to be one for women's sports. So, there is even more added cost theoretically to a school.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm baffled as to how an intercollegiate sport can have unlimited scholarships. A statement claiming that the increase would be to some excessive level (for example 35-40 for baseball) while illogical could be plausible. I don't see how they can make a claim that a school can fill as many scholarships as they want. There would need to be a ceiling, even if that ceiling is relatively unattainable.

Reaction Score
I'm baffled as to how an intercollegiate sport can have unlimited scholarships. A statement claiming that the increase would be to some excessive level (for example 35-40 for baseball) while illogical could be plausible. I don't see how they can make a claim that a school can fill as many scholarships as they want. There would need to be a ceiling, even if that ceiling is relatively unattainable.
There's still a roster limit so even if there's no scholarship cap there effectively is with the 34(?) player roster cap

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Several athletic administrators and college sports insiders discussed the Transfer Committee’s concepts under the condition of anonymity. They include (1) eliminating scholarship caps on sports that offer only partial scholarships; (2) abolishing the limitation on the number of coaches per team; (3) expanding direct payments from schools to athletes; (4) reconfiguring the recruiting calendar; and (5) implementing closed periods in the NCAA transfer portal. At least the first three items will be left in the decision-making hands of individual conferences, if the concepts are approved.

Reaction Score
There's still a roster limit so even if there's no scholarship cap there effectively is with the 34(?) player roster cap

The NCAA baseball roster limit in Division 1 was 35 before the pandemic hit. Up to 27 players could be on scholarship, partial or otherwise. This has all been in flux since the start of the pandemic.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
One potential issue if there is no scholarship cap for baseball would be some schools 'overbooking'.

Many players don't decide until mid-late summer after HS graduation I'd they will sign with the MLB team that drafted them or enroll at a school for three years. Scholarship offers are accepted well before HS graduation.

What's to stop a school from loading up (three or four bodies beyond the roster cap) on scholarship offers/acceptances with the belief that they will lose a few to the MLB draft?

Reaction Score
I can’t imagine the NBE allowing more scholarships for baseball. In all honesty, not enough schools care about it. Maybe a better outcome is the NOOB drops baseball and we find an associate membership in a conference that values baseball. Georgetown almost dropped baseball a few years ago. Wouldn’t be shocked if they and someone else does it if limits go up. Then we can get into a league like the ACC, AAC or even CUSA for baseball only. Ponders has done a remarkable job but if this happens, it won’t take a remarkable coach. It will take a miracle worker.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom