NCAA Division I Council panel formally approves new transfer rules | The Boneyard

NCAA Division I Council panel formally approves new transfer rules

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
My apologies if this was previously posted. I checked, I didn't see it.

The NCAA made it official Thursday, announcing the Division I Council had voted to approve a plan that will allow all college athletes to transfer one time as an undergraduate without having to sit out a season. Starting next September, there will be no more gray area. The first transfer is free, no questions asked.

The so-called one-time exception that has been available to athletes in most college sports for years will now also be available to football, men's and women's basketball, men's ice hockey and baseball players who transfer from one Division I school to another.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mid major programs will be stocked with Freshmen and Sophomores, while Power Five Programs are going to save their scholarships for Transfers. That won’t be terrible, just different.

Reaction Score
Anybody else hear Kim Mulkey laughing maniacally now that she doesn’t have to wait for players to be grad transfers? (Joking, of course)

I see this as a win for the student athletes. How it affects programs and coaches will be interesting to see over the next few years.

Reaction Score
Its just another step towards total freedom for the players to do whatever they want to do. One and Done for all, compensation, college to pro and back to college, high school to pro, and so on. The players who stay with a school for 4 years, won’t necessarily be the players who the coaches wanted to see stay for the duration. It will turn out that John Callipari was ahead of his time. Coaches will adjust and live with it.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
For a one time deal, one year call it what you want but for one year ok. More than one year I call it a potential disaster. There are many reasons why unrestricted no consequence transfers are bad for the athletes and the schools. Do we want the schools to honor their offers and scholarships to the athletes for the full 4-5 years while allowing the student to fly over any and all whims at any time.
There comes a time when for various reasons, case in point EW where the relationship is so fractured and beyond repair that the only logical action is to transfer. Other cases can be made for transfers, with few that I believe deserve not sitting out for a year. A player does their homework compares schools and makes what should be an informed decision and signs what is a contract mutually beneficially to student and school. In order to keep players and schools from chasing titles while having a revolving door policy the one year restriction is necessary and I support it as long as it is administered fairly and without prejudices.
Allowing unrestricted no consequence transfers imo will result in a diminished product that most of us will not want to be part of. I know that there are opposing views I welcome them, we and WCBB needs to discuss and debate what is in the best interest of the student, the schools and fans. Lets hope they get it right.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
For a one time deal, one year call it what you want but for one year ok. More than one year I call it a potential disaster. There are many reasons why unrestricted no consequence transfers are bad for the athletes and the schools. Do we want the schools to honor their offers and scholarships to the athletes for the full 4-5 years while allowing the student to fly over any and all whims at any time.
There comes a time when for various reasons, case in point EW where the relationship is so fractured and beyond repair that the only logical action is to transfer. Other cases can be made for transfers, with few that I believe deserve not sitting out for a year. A player does their homework compares schools and makes what should be an informed decision and signs what is a contract mutually beneficially to student and school. In order to keep players and schools from chasing titles while having a revolving door policy the one year restriction is necessary and I support it as long as it is administered fairly and without prejudices.
Allowing unrestricted no consequence transfers imo will result in a diminished product that most of us will not want to be part of. I know that there are opposing views I welcome them, we and WCBB needs to discuss and debate what is in the best interest of the student, the schools and fans. Lets hope they get it right.
I lean strongly to your point of view. It looks like it could be good for top notch players, maybe all players. My biggest concern is that the rich will stay rich. Those who are willing to fish in the transfer pool will always be able to fill holes. And mass exoduses could become common.

I have a hard time seeing how it's good for programs/schools and fans. If a school gets an outstanding recruiting class, fans will be excited to look forward to a given season. If, after that season, several of them leave, the fans are left with disappointment. I concede that can happen now, but I fear that will become the "new normal." We shouldn't overlook the power of peer pressure and social media. Let us hope good players will consider Geno's point about building a brand.

I also fear that the value of the great teachers, will go down. People like Geno want to develop a player over time and teach the whole game with the idea of cultivating championship caliber teams and programs marked by sustained excellence. The result could be early exit for several outstanding coaches.

Reaction Score
Coaches will have to re-recruit their players every year and watch out for coaches of other programs recruiting their players.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I lean strongly to your point of view. It looks like it could be good for top notch players, maybe all players. My biggest concern is that the rich will stay rich. Those who are willing to fish in the transfer pool will always be able to fill holes. And mass exoduses could become common.

I have a hard time seeing how it's good for programs/schools and fans. If a school gets an outstanding recruiting class, fans will be excited to look forward to a given season. If, after that season, several of them leave, the fans are left with disappointment. I concede that can happen now, but I fear that will become the "new normal." We shouldn't overlook the power of peer pressure and social media. Let us hope good players will consider Geno's point about building a brand.

I also fear that the value of the great teachers, will go down. People like Geno want to develop a player over time and teach the whole game with the idea of cultivating championship caliber teams and programs marked by sustained excellence. The result could be early exit for several outstanding coaches.

Don't know about other schools/fans ... I will say its been good for Duke WBB fans this spring. Inside of playing on the opening Wednesday of the 2022 ACC tournament... we won't start play until Thursday at the earliest. :) Holes have been filled.

Reaction Score
I agree with you this is treading into areas where I don't think it's good for the sport. Again, I see nothing wrong with sitting out a year unless it's extreme circumstances and even those should be few. We are about to have even more of a revolving door as you call it where players will come and go pretty often. Honestly I think the rich will just get richer. I see some players sticking around a school where they've been successful then jump to a contender for their senior year to try and win a title. Most schools wouldn't say no if they thought that (fill in the blank) would be who puts them over the hump. Few programs would say no to a bona fide star. Building a program will be even more challenging for new coaches and those middle of the road schools. One thing I love about women's game is the players came and stuck around for four years with few exceptions. The college men's game has been gutted by one and done where each year a series of top freshman players sign at 3 or 4 top programs for what are rental deals. The men's tournament is still terrific fun but the sport itself is tougher to follow.

There is one more thing will bring up at the risk of sounding even more negative. Young people aged 18-23 are still largely developing their personalities and life skills. There are few students that age who don't experience homesickness, hurt feelings, frustrations at a coach over playing time or other issues, while also juggling academic workloads and dealing with life under a microscope. The life of a D1 athlete is not easy and there are days where it is far from a picnic. I suspect some of these transfers are the byproducts of some of what I mentioned above. No program or situation is perfect for every student athlete but it doesn't mean their situation would be better if they transferred. It seems as though it is now too easy to just pull up stake and leave while having no skin in the game.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Don't know about other schools/fans ... I will say its been good for Duke WBB fans this spring. Inside of playing on the opening Wednesday of the 2022 ACC tournament... we won't start play until Thursday at the earliest. :) Holes have been filled.
Yup, I can buy that. :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom