OT: - NCAA and college presidents | The Boneyard

OT: NCAA and college presidents

Reaction Score

Doyel has never known his arse from his elbow. How are the presidents greedy? If college sports were eliminated tomorrow, the only loss would be sports' value for marketing schools, but if no one is competing I question even that. Doyel makes it seem as though sports money is flowing to the academic side.

Presidents don't do anything about the cesspool because they are cowards who know what would happen to them if they upset the boosters, the politicians and the boards of trustees.

Reaction Score
Doyel has never known his arse from his elbow. How are the presidents greedy? If college sports were eliminated tomorrow, the only loss would be sports' value for marketing schools, but if no one is competing I question even that. Doyel makes it seem as though sports money is flowing to the academic side.

Presidents don't do anything about the cesspool because they are cowards who know what would happen to them if they upset the boosters, the politicians and the boards of trustees.

Sports drives interest and that in turn drives donations. If not for sports how much money is vile going to receive from the alumni and the community.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

I just posted the story because it had a lot of background information I was not aware of. I am not sure what your point is but in reference to your statements:

1 College sports will not or ever be eliminated.
2 a university is one undivided institution so sports and academic are integrally intertwined and can't be even hypothetically separated. To suggest playing them off one another is a false dichotomy.
3 I think the authors point about the NCAA vs apparel companies running the camp is well taken. They let the camel in the tent. I was not aware of this so it is an interesting historical point.
4 It seems to me that his analogy is similar to one in professional sports which was MLB (Commissioners office vs owners). In that case the owners dethroned the commissioner and his power and (perhaps) bowed to the money of the media (TV).

I don't really have strong feelings on this (yet). It's complex and involves a lot parties. I'm still learning and trying to find out the facts. I think the investigation will reveal more of that. Let's hope the investigation does not get politicized. They (FBI) have a lot of power.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Sports drives interest and that in turn drives donations. If not for sports how much money is vile going to receive from the alumni and the community.
I wouldn't give a complete pass to the presidents like upstater because the odds are good that some presidents are complicitous. But others are powerless even if they want to change things because of the reasons he gives.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Terrible headline. The FBI didn't confirm this. It's his interpretation of what the FBI found.
I wouldn't give two spits, but he specifically gives Emmert a pass.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have to say I'd do the happy dance if I see Emmert marched out of his offices with a sport coat draped over his head.
Please post that again so I can like it more than once.

Reaction Score

Those donations are counted as revenue for the AD. Even Texas did a survey of donors to the Longhorn Foundation. Over 60% of them had no idea they were donating to the athletic department.

Reaction Score
I just posted the story because it had a lot of background information I was not aware of. I am not sure what your point is but in reference to your statements:

1 College sports will not or ever be eliminated.
2 a university is one undivided institution so sports and academic are integrally intertwined and can't be even hypothetically separated. To suggest playing them off one another is a false dichotomy.
3 I think the authors point about the NCAA vs apparel companies running the camp is well taken. They let the camel in the tent. I was not aware of this so it is an interesting historical point.
4 It seems to me that his analogy is similar to one in professional sports which was MLB (Commissioners office vs owners). In that case the owners dethroned the commissioner and his power and (perhaps) bowed to the money of the media (TV).

I don't really have strong feelings on this (yet). It's complex and involves a lot parties. I'm still learning and trying to find out the facts. I think the investigation will reveal more of that. Let's hope the investigation does not get politicized. They (FBI) have a lot of power.

Not a criticism of you, but of Doyel. He says it is greed. If you could eliminate sports, it would not cost the university any money, other than marketing.

1+2. There are a ton of schools out there without bigtime sports. They get by. There are also huge world class state institutions without such sports.

My point was about the presidents, who are featured in the Doyel article.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't give a complete pass to the presidents like upstater because the odds are good that some presidents are complicitous. But others are powerless even if they want to change things because of the reasons he gives.

Well, I did call them cowards. As for them being complicitous, they are because they're cowards. Some presidents are indeed even more, they're involved. When Texas A&M fires its president because she asked the AD to cover its massive losses, it replaces her with a guy who is sports first. So you're right there. I wouldn't say this is the norm or close to it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom