OT: - Nas- “King’s Disease II” | The Boneyard

OT: Nas- “King’s Disease II”

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Amazing album

Just finished it. Wow.

Love the album but there are 2-3 tracks I can live without. EPMD didn't need Marshall's help.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've seen mostly positive reaction around the internet, I think this is putrid. Nas and Hit Boy just don't work, while these are better beats than Nas has traditionally got - I think Nas has the worst ear for production in hip hop history.. I like the track with Lauryn Hill, and maybe 2-3 others.. This gets 2 mics from me.

We need to raise the bar, not lower it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I've seen mostly positive reaction around the internet, I think this is putrid. Nas and Hit Boy just don't work, while these are better beats than Nas has traditionally got - I think Nas has the worst ear for production in hip hop history.. I like the track with Lauryn Hill, and maybe 2-3 others.. This gets 2 mics from me.

Thank you. Even the cut shared here with Ms. Hill seems, well... pedestrian. I don't pretend to be a big rap fan, or really understand why some songs/artists get constant raves while, to me, other rap songs seem more interesting, but I was a Fugees fan and enjoyed "Miseducation", and I think Lauryn's talents were more or less wasted on this effort.

Reaction Score
Just finished it. Wow.

Love the album but there are 2-3 tracks I can live without. EPMD didn't need Marshall's help.
No they didnt but Ems verse was ridiculous. Best lyricist ive ever heard. Just incredible and is on a level all his own.

Reaction Score

Its art so its all subjective. It didnt work for you, cool. The majority believe its a great work and i agree.

Reaction Score

It's not Nas and Premier but basically nothing is, if you think this is putrid and lowering the bar I would love to know what you've been listening to that's come out in recent years. Nas has the worst ear for production in hip hop history? What?

By old school standards it's probably a 3.5/4 mics, by today's standards it's 6 mics. Tupac and The Outlawz, this song is so dope. Wish it was longer.

Watch "Nas - Death Row East (Official Audio)" on YouTube

Reaction Score
Did he say “nas has the worst ear for production in hip hop history?” What? I almost spit out my capital grille steak to go when I read that lol.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Nas is in my personal top 5 and as much as I want him and Premier to move to a hidden studio and do two albums together, those days are gone. With that said I love his work with Hitboy. They key is not comparing his new work to his old work. He’s a multi Millionaire ( 70 mil) now so the hunger and competition is different.

Reaction Score
It's not Nas and Premier but basically nothing is, if you think this is putrid and lowering the bar I would love to know what you've been listening to that's come out in recent years. Nas has the worst ear for production in hip hop history? What?

By old school standards it's probably a 3.5/4 mics, by today's standards it's 6 mics. Tupac and The Outlawz, this song is so dope. Wish it was longer.

I am a pure hip hop head from the 80s and 90s. Spent a lot of my youth spending summers in the cradle of hip hop the South Bronx and experienced it first hand and watched it grow to what it became. Fat Joe grew up with my cousins and he`d be at the house all the time. Smoked weed had drinks on many occasions with Tony Touch and even met BIg Pun once at St. Marys park before anyone even knew who he was. That being said i have been one of the biggest critics of hip hop over the last 15 years and this Nas album is the first album in years that im actually bumping. The production is fantastic, his flow is on point showing some versatility and the lyrics are fresh, creative, relevant, relatable and have depth. The features from Lauryn Hill and Eminem are just fire. Love this album.

Reaction Score
Did he say “nas has the worst ear for production in hip hop history?” What? I almost spit out my capital grille steak to go when I read that lol.
"Nastradamus".

That's it, that's the post.

Lyrically Nas is right there with Jay-Z, Rakim, or Biggie - but be honest with yourself, the production on his albums has held him back from being considered the greatest. He wrote probably the best diss record of all time, and "Ether" is UNLISTENABLE because the beat is so bad! Listen, don't get me wrong - I LOVE Nas, but as someone who has DJ'd for 25 years and worked in the industry as well, I'm sorry that I view this differently but I can't let that comment go.

Reaction Score
No they didnt but Ems verse was ridiculous. Best lyricist ive ever heard. Just incredible and is on a level all his own.

I simply don't understand how you can type this sentence. Em is an embarrassment at this point, he literally plays word salad and throws it all in a blender and tries to make it match. He's not even in my top 10.

Reaction Score

I do a weekly podcast, that is essentially a college radio show highlighting new music and artists. I'll drop a few tracks and artists that I've really enjoyed the past few years.

Benny the Butcher - Crowns for Kings Ft. Black Thought (Prod. DJ Shay)

Benny The Butcher (feat. Freddie Gibbs) - One Way Flight (Visualizer)

Rome Streetz - 96 nauti windbreaker (produced by jr swiftz)

Train Love

Wiz Khalifa - Universal Studios (prod. The Alchemist)

Bomb Shelter

Gang Starr - Family and Loyalty (feat. J.Cole) [Official Video]

Hus Kingpin - "Sunkist" prod. by Stu Bangas (video)

Conway - RODNEY LITTLE ft Prodigy [G.O.A.T.]

Sell Me This Pen (feat. Alchemist & Mach Hommy)

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I can tell.
Well, I'm a 65 year old white guy, thus would never have experienced living hip hop. But, instead of the offhand comment, try for a moment to look at it from a musical perspective. With rock, for instance, when some artist came along with something novel, say the Beatles, Stones, Dylan, the Clash, Radiohead, etc. etc., even the casual listener knew there was something different with the potential to entirely change music. Same could be said for a lot of hip hop OG, and later guys like Eminem and Kanye, but with few exceptions, I'm having a difficult time with 21st century artists, rap or pop, in understanding what makes them unique or popular.

I believe it was Rick Beato, music professor, when describing digital production, said something like, "When everyone is using the same algorithms, it's inevitable that you'll get sameness in sound."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I certainly see what he's saying. I grew up on A Tribe Called Quest, Dre and Snoop, Wu Tang etc etc... and when I hear the absolute crap that passes off as "rap music" that my students listen to I want to vomit. It doesn't even sound the same,

While part of that has to do with the fact that I'm over 40 years old now, part of it is just that the sound has transformed, which is sad.

I saw a great tweet by Phonte about a month ago, I have been googling and searching Twitter but I can't find it to post here, but the gist of what he said was: When I was growing up and wanting to be a rapper, I looked at Big Daddy Kane or Rakim and said, jeez, I'll never be as good as them.... Kids today look at these "rappers" today and say, oh, yeah I can do that.

Point being, there's very little creativity, and skill is not a prerequisite in being a popular rapper today.

Reaction Score
phonte-phontigallo-when-i-was-a-kid-id-listen-to-63614729.png

Reaction Score
I simply don't understand how you can type this sentence. Em is an embarrassment at this point, he literally plays word salad and throws it all in a blender and tries to make it match. He's not even in my top 10.
Thats because you dont know jack about hip hop.

Reaction Score
Potentially the most ridiculous sentence I've ever read on this website.

Reaction Score
Potentially the most ridiculous sentence I've ever read on this website.
Maybe but it takes a back seat to this ridiculousness:
"Em is an embarrassment at this point, he literally plays word salad and throws it all in a blender and tries to make it match. He's not even in my top 10."

MC’s, I’m eatin’ you B-I-T-C-H-E-S like tortilla chips
Me, I’m free of debt, yeah green is on Chia Pet
This is the effects of my old neighborhood, misery index
Poverty at its peak, OCD and PTSD I guess
R.I.P. out to DMX, geez louise, and MC Ecstasy
And Prince Markie Dee, MF DOOM, I hit 50 via text
Told him that I love him ’cause I don’t even know when I’ma see him next
Tomorrow could be a death

The fact you can call this "word salad" and an "embarrasment" shows youre clearly missing the level of depth and creativity (of course youll say your not) in just these few bars of elite lyricism and flow mastery. This makes me question if you know what your talking about. Who knows you maybe you do but this isnt your best moment.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom