Napheesa & Paige Bueckers to Represent USA on 3 x 3 Team. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Napheesa & Paige Bueckers to Represent USA on 3 x 3 Team.

Reaction Score
International 3x3 is a rugged game in which the US is still figuring out how much physical play is tolerated by refs at varying locations. It is a different animal. After seeing Canada dominate several tourneys this summer, it is apparent that the US is still playing catch up to other nations on the nuances of this emerging game.

Reaction Score
Final Stats:
NONAMEGFGMFGAPCT2PM2PAPCTFTMFTAPCTPTSAVG
5Jackie Young42240.55003.00057.714276.8
10Napheesa Collier41634.47115.200221.000194.8
13Ruthy Hebard41627.59301.00001.000164.0
11Paige Bueckers41023.435616.37500.000266.5
USA TOTALS464124.516725.280710.7007819.5

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Brazil went on to lose their semi-final game to France 13-8 and their Bronze medal game to China 17-13. :oops:

Reaction Score
Paige will certainly benefit from the experience. I questioned whether Hebard was the right big for USA's 3x3 team. Quicker bigs who have more skill to dribble and bang in order to get closer to the basket and can also shoot well from outside to stretch the defense seem to be a key to winning those events. Hebard's skill set seems better suited for 5x5 play.

I'm still wondering which USA bigs would put USA on top in 3x3. A healthy EDD, a healthy Stewie, or Jonquel Jones? Due to injury concerns and the physical nature of the play, we may never see EDD or Stewie play in these 3x3 international events. Not worth the threat of injury.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Paige will certainly benefit from the experience. I questioned whether Hebard was the right big for USA's 3x3 team. Quicker bigs who have more skill to dribble and bang in order to get closer to the basket and can also shoot well from outside to stretch the defense seem to be a key to winning those events. Hebard's skill set seems better suited for 5x5 play.

Didn't Hebard dominate when paired with Ionescu in the Pan-Am Games 3x3?

Reaction Score
"Didn't Hebard dominate when paired with Ionescu in the Pan-Am Games 3x3?" Yes. Hebard did play very well with Ionescu in Peru, especially in the gold medal game.

Perhaps the level of competition in Doha was better then what USA faced in Peru? In any event, USA started very well against Brazil in the quarterfinals and then allowed Brazil back in the game and could not put them away the rest of the way in what was characterized as a very physical contest.

There is little doubt that Hebard can finish layins and convert a high percentage of shots within 3' of the basket. However, if Hebard is not getting foul calls near the basket in 3x3, then there may be a better 6'3"+ big option out there for USA to consider whose skill set includes making a shot outside 5'.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Is there some reason why you think it's esp. egregious to spell Brasil in its anglicized form of Brazil but not other countries like Deutscheland as Germany, España as Spain, Rossiya as Russia, or Zhong Guo as China? Just curious if I'm missing something about why that one is worse than all the other ways we anglicize improperly? (Genuinely curious, not trying to pick a fight.)
Not me. I cant spell in general. :oops:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Is there some reason why you think it's esp. egregious to spell Brasil in its anglicized form of Brazil but not other countries like Deutscheland as Germany, España as Spain, Rossiya as Russia, or Zhong Guo as China? Just curious if I'm missing something about why that one is worse than all the other ways we anglicize improperly? (Genuinely curious, not trying to pick a fight.)
I think @eebmg was referencing tounge-in-cheek the other poster who, upthread, took umbrage to the Anglicized spelling.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
International 3x3 is a rugged game in which the US is still figuring out how much physical play is tolerated by refs at varying locations. It is a different animal. After seeing Canada dominate several tourneys this summer, it is apparent that the US is still playing catch up to other nations on the nuances of this emerging game.

Seems like 'Pheesa agrees with that point and Jackie reminds us of some basic truths....

“They were just being a lot more physical than we were,” said Collier. “We were up 10-3 at one point and we couldn’t hit a basket after that.”

“They were stopping us from scoring, and they were able to score,” added Young. “They went on a run and we just couldn’t match it.”

As a Young follower/fan, good to see she's finishing her drives and in-close shots (again). Her quickness, strength and hops make her a good 3x3 choice.

Reaction Score
Paige will certainly benefit from the experience. I questioned whether Hebard was the right big for USA's 3x3 team.....Herskill set seems better suited for 5x5 play.
Hebard has been on the back to back 3x3 US Women's championship team (2018 & 2019). She was on the PAN-Am Gold winning team and in 2018 against the best 3x3 teams in the world, her team ended up losing a close one to eventual gold-medal Italy and beat a silver-medal winning Russian team (far better than this one) in pool play. This team lost to 4th place Brazil best win was against that 6th place Russian team. As for 5x5 play, we'll see how she does against Bird, Taurasi, EDD, Skylar, Collier, and the rest of the USA team when they play in Eugene on November 9.

I don't think Hebard was the problem, but I do think putting a high school player with only 3 years HS experience on a team with 22 year olds playing adults women ballers from other countries was not a good move. I guess people are projecting Paige to early to be the next Sabrina. It may help her as you suggest, but you never know about expectations.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Hebard has been on the back to back 3x3 US Women's championship team (2018 & 2019). She was on the PAN-Am Gold winning team and in 2018 against the best 3x3 teams in the world, her team ended up losing a close one to eventual gold-medal Italy and beat a silver-medal winning Russian team (far better than this one) in pool play. This team lost to 4th place Brazil best win was against that 6th place Russian team. As for 5x5 play, we'll see how she does against Bird, Taurasi, EDD, Skylar, Collier, and the rest of the USA team when they play in Eugene on November 9.

I don't think Hebard was the problem, but I do think putting a high school player with only 3 years HS experience on a team with 22 year olds playing adults women ballers from other countries was not a good move. I guess people are projecting Paige to early to be the next Sabrina. It may help her as you suggest, but you never know about expectations.

Were you able to watch the game?

Reaction Score
Were you able to watch the game?
I tried but couldn't find it. I did watch all the Pan-am 3x3 games where the Duskies won Gold and the 2018 3x3 world championship with the 4 Ducks. I know Ruthie can play if she is in sync with the guards. Her and Sabrina are awesome together and it shows in the three 3x3 tourney championships they have. Even though Ruthie didn't have Ionescu in this tourney she still ended up with a 59.3% shooting pct.

For the Beach tourney I just read all the write-ups and saw the stats. The first 3 games when it didn't really matter, they all shot pretty well with Paige taking lots of the 2 point shots. But when it was a do or die game only Jackie Young shot well at 7-11. The team needed Paige to help Jackie either create or hit some shots but it didn't happen as she was 0-3 from the outside & 1-6 overall. I just think it was too much to ask a high schooler heading into her senior year, but hopefully she learns from it.

Reaction Score
The America's Olympic Pre Qualifying Tournament is held Nov 10 - Nov 19. FIBA site does not list the location. That's obviously in the middle of College Basketball Season. Shouldn't this team have been composed of players that will participate in the Nov. Tournament? I don't understand how the USA Basketball is managing the 3 X 3 Women's BB Program. Almost all the 3 x 3 Events this past summer have been comprised of different players. The USA has not yet Qualified for the 2020 Olympics. I believe they have to finish in the Top 2 in the Pre Qualifying Tournament to make the Olympics.

USA Basketball can't exactly force people to participate and there's not much financial incentive in play and no guarantee that the American public will embrace the 3x3 team if they make the Olympics. It might have been nice to see more WNBA players participate (I would love to see Chelsea Gray in this format at some point), but pretty much every team fielded a weakened team in this event since the club season is in full swing in Europe.

Pretty much no combination of results this summer was going to automatically qualify the United States for the Olympics. By participating in a bunch of events, they should be high enough in the rankings to make it to the qualifying tournament. I do agree that they do not seem to have much of a plan once we get to that point, but again, they don't have much ability to make people be a part of it. The result against Brazil is shocking, but that single game unpredictability is supposed to be part of the appeal of 3x3.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I tried but couldn't find it. I did watch all the Pan-am 3x3 games where the Duskies won Gold and the 2018 3x3 world championship with the 4 Ducks. I know Ruthie can play if she is in sync with the guards. Her and Sabrina are awesome together and it shows in the three 3x3 tourney championships they have. Even though Ruthie didn't have Ionescu in this tourney she still ended up with a 59.3% shooting pct.

For the Beach tourney I just read all the write-ups and saw the stats. The first 3 games when it didn't really matter, they all shot pretty well with Paige taking lots of the 2 point shots. But when it was a do or die game only Jackie Young shot well at 7-11. The team needed Paige to help Jackie either create or hit some shots but it didn't happen as she was 0-3 from the outside & 1-6 overall. I just think it was too much to ask a high schooler heading into her senior year, but hopefully she learns from it.

Oh. It's just puzzling how you can lay the result of this one game at the feet of Bueckers. I look at the box score and see that Hebard and Collier shot a combined 2-12. I think the team needed Hebard and Collier to make shots and they didn't.

Reaction Score
Oh. It's just puzzling how you can lay the result of this one game at the feet of Bueckers. I look at the box score and see that Hebard and Collier shot a combined 2-12. I think the team needed Hebard and Collier to make shots and they didn't.
You're correct on that Brazil game that none of the 3 others (besides Jackie Young) did well but it would have been most helpful if there were two wing players who could have both been able to make plays and score. I was commenting that 3x3 success requires great chemistry between the wings and inside players when they need scores. In the Pan Am games they had that with Sabrina and Ruthie who accounted for over 70% of USA's 144 points (Ruthie 51/79.6%, Sabrina 50/51.9%). The wings played the most minutes with Williams at 8.6 mpg and Sabrina at 7.9 mpg, but one of those two has to hit the 2's which Sabrina did big time making 19 (2.7/game) at a whopping 55.9%. Paige was this team's designated two point shooter hitting 2/game with a respectable 46.1% in the three uncontested pool games. I only felt it was unfair to rely on a high schooler to be that player in their one tight do or die game where she missed her 3 two point shots. Without seeing the game it's just my opinion.

Reaction Score
Paige isn’t going to be the next Sabrina. Paige is going to make everyone forget about Sabrina. Sabrina better take care of her “unfinished business” or it will be, “Sabrina who?”

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
You're correct on that Brazil game that none of the 3 others (besides Jackie Young) did well but it would have been most helpful if there were two wing players who could have both been able to make plays and score. I was commenting that 3x3 success requires great chemistry between the wings and inside players when they need scores. In the Pan Am games they had that with Sabrina and Ruthie who accounted for over 70% of USA's 144 points (Ruthie 51/79.6%, Sabrina 50/51.9%). The wings played the most minutes with Williams at 8.6 mpg and Sabrina at 7.9 mpg, but one of those two has to hit the 2's which Sabrina did big time making 19 (2.7/game) at a whopping 55.9%. Paige was this team's designated two point shooter hitting 2/game with a respectable 46.1% in the three uncontested pool games. I only felt it was unfair to rely on a high schooler to be that player in their one tight do or die game where she missed her 3 two point shots. Without seeing the game it's just my opinion.

What also would have been most helpful was if the WNBA ROY (a wing, btw) and the All PAC-12 senior made shots. Apparently one doesn't have to be a high school senior to shoot 1 for 6.

I'm sure USA BB would have preferred not to send Bueckers to this event but the pros are overseas and college players (except for Hebard) are practicing with their teams. I'm sure Paige learned a lot from this experience. I don't recall Ionescu playing in events like this when she was a high school senior.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
USA Men and Women Earn a Berth Into 2020 FIBA 3x3 Olympic Qualifying Tournament.

The USA women earned their qualifying spot by virtue of their world ranking.

The four-member USA men’s and women’s teams that will play in the 2020 FIBA 3x3 Olympic Qualifying Tournament will be selected from athletes that take part in a USA Basketball training camp ahead of the March qualifying event. Among eligible athletes, the USA training camps will include many of the USA’s top ranked FIBA 3x3 athletes.

Who will represent the US?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
That's great news that both Men and Women will compete in the Olympic Qualifying Tournament. I wonder how Team USA will compile the Women's Team? Will they announce the team early enough so the players can play together or just put a team together at the last moment? Will any WNBA players will give up their overseas commitments for an opportunity to qualify for the Olympics? Don't see any Elite College Players leaving their teams early to be on the team.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is gonna get scary good Uconn fans!!! :eek: :D

Vision and decision making are really good, as is her athleticism. I love her swagger as well. I think she’s going to be special for us.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

It says that two of the four athletes on the team have to be in their country’s top 10.

7F7A24FC-64B6-4498-8379-8FD181F1AA54.png

Oh, my.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom