OT: My little UConn fan could use some prayers | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: My little UConn fan could use some prayers

temery

What?
Reaction Score
SOUTHINGTON — Friends of Kendall Lord, diagnosed with stage four kidney cancer, are planning a fundraiser later this month to send the seven-year-old girl and her family to Disney World.

Treatment options for the seven-year-old have been exhausted, although she’s not in pain or discomfort, said Michelle Kerski, a friend of Kendall’s mother. The focus is on “the time that she has left and making the most of it,” Kerski added.

Go Fund Me

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was wearing my Kendall Strong sweatshirt a few days ago. I have a 6-year-old and a 9-year-old. I dunno what you are going through, but make her laugh as much as you can. It will make both of you happier.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I was wearing my Kendall Strong sweatshirt a few days ago. I have a 6-year-old and a 9-year-old. I dunno what you are going through, but make her laugh as much as you can. It will make both of you happier.
I still don mind, too. I think of her.

Reaction Score
I am sending my prayers and positive energy your daughter's way. Hang in there and stay strong for her. I have some personal experience with cancer in people close to me. My one bit of advice would be to at least consult with the best cancer experts you can get to. I have a good friend whose wife was misdiagnosed at Yale-NH. Some friend and I convinced my friend to take her to Sloan-Kettering. She has been in remission for some time now after their treatments. The doctors there are some of the best at what they do and see more cases of whatever your daughter is dealing with than the doctors at your all-purpose hospital. Dana Farber in Boston is just as good. Or Anderson in Houston.

Take care!

Reaction Score
Hey everyone, couldn't get back into my account and I'm sorry I haven't updated here, I think since the original diagnosis. My wife has done an amazing job updating on the Facebook group through this entire journey:

I look back at when I wrote this post when they first told us she had cancer and it feels like a lifetime ago. We were totally clueless, I remember putting CCMC into my GPS and we still ended up at the wrong parking garage. I probably had to GPS it the first 10 times.

We joined a bunch of wilms tumor Facebook groups, most them of them had pretty happy endings from what we could gather. Wilms being not common but the most common and treatable childhood cancer.

Right away the team of oncologist had a solid plan in place with a high cure rate. One surgery to get the kidney out and 8 or so weeks of chemo to get any other little bits. Maybe some radiation on the lungs.

Scary as hell but we knew what we all had to do and we could see the finish line.

That was 3 years ago and that wasn't the finish line, it was barely even the start. In hindsight I know now that cancer doesn't really end, in remission you just hold your breath until the next scan but try to live like you arnt.

A lot has happened between first treatment and now. The worst was when she was in multiple organ failure from a fungal infection band the doctor's had to ask if we essentially wanted to just ease her passing. Kendall surprised them all and walked out of the PICU just a week or so later.

The last numbers I could find from my wife's post

5 central lines placed
250 doses of chemo
6 surgeries
120+ nights in the hospital
100+ MRIs/CT/X-rays/ultrasounds
40+ blood and platelet transfusions
4 transfers to the PICU
10 days of radiation
1 trip to Boston childrens
3 relapses

She’s had her kidney removed, parts of her lungs and most recently a portion of her IVC. She gotten radiation to her chest and abdomen. Been in pulmonary failure, kidney failure, heart failure and had seizures from fevers that were too high.

She has autism, we've dragged her through hell half her life and she doesn't know why. She doesn't know why she lost all of her hair at least twice or why she has a rubber tube sticking out of her belly.

She's small for her age now, has barely grown since round one of chemo.

She's in first grade and loves it.

She has one more week of first grade and I don't think there will be a second grade.

A few weeks ago they told us the cancer was back for the third time. They did present options. Our first reaction was to get right back to it, cut it out and chemo.

Her one kidney is badly damaged from years of blasting chemo at it. Kidneys really don't get better, more often they get worse, hers is getting worse.

We could drag her through another year of hell and end up on dialysis and ultimately there still is no cure to be had.

What would she choose if she had a voice?

We made the hardest decision we will ever have to make and that's where we stand now.

She's been off chemo for a while and is feeling the best she has in years. Almost starting to gain some weight.

We've already visited the cape in May, we are currently on a lake in Vermont right now. At least another week in Vermont coming in July. We plan to dedicate this entire summer to memory making.

Everyone knows that she's dying except for her and as strange as it is, I'm thankful for that. She can live whatever time she has left without that burden and a few times each day I sorta forget too.

Thanks everyone, sorry if this is a jumbled mess of an update, the latter half of this I think I wrote for myself as much as for everyone here. I've been hiding in the cabin bathroom for almost two hours writing this, looks like we have a couple beautiful days coming up to get the boat on the water. Time to get out there!

Attachments

• PXL_20220606_211217507.TS_exported_10149_1654550448510.jpg
    PXL_20220606_211217507.TS_exported_10149_1654550448510.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 170

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Hey everyone, couldn't get back into my account and I'm sorry I haven't updated here, I think since the original diagnosis. My wife has done an amazing job updating on the Facebook group through this entire journey:

I look back at when I wrote this post when they first told us she had cancer and it feels like a lifetime ago. We were totally clueless, I remember putting CCMC into my GPS and we still ended up at the wrong parking garage. I probably had to GPS it the first 10 times.

We joined a bunch of wilms tumor Facebook groups, most them of them had pretty happy endings from what we could gather. Wilms being not common but the most common and treatable childhood cancer.

Right away the team of oncologist had a solid plan in place with a high cure rate. One surgery to get the kidney out and 8 or so weeks of chemo to get any other little bits. Maybe some radiation on the lungs.

Scary as hell but we knew what we all had to do and we could see the finish line.

That was 3 years ago and that wasn't the finish line, it was barely even the start. In hindsight I know now that cancer doesn't really end, in remission you just hold your breath until the next scan but try to live like you arnt.

A lot has happened between first treatment and now. The worst was when she was in multiple organ failure from a fungal infection band the doctor's had to ask if we essentially wanted to just ease her passing. Kendall surprised them all and walked out of the PICU just a week or so later.

5 central lines placed
250 doses of chemo
6 surgeries
4 transfers to the PICU
10 days of radiation
3 relapses

She’s had her kidney removed, parts of her lungs and most recently a portion of her IVC. She gotten radiation to her chest and abdomen. Been in pulmonary failure, kidney failure, heart failure and had seizures from fevers that were too high.

She has autism, we've dragged her through hell half her life and she doesn't know why. She doesn't know why she lost all of her hair at least twice or why she has a rubber tube sticking out of her belly.

She has one more week of first grade and I don't think there will be a second grade.

A few weeks ago they told us the cancer was back for the third time. They did present options. Our first reaction was to get right back to it, cut it out and chemo.

Her one kidney is badly damaged from years of blasting chemo at it. Kidneys really don't get better, more often they get worse, hers is getting worse.

We could drag her through another year of hell and end up on dialysis and ultimately there still is no cure to be had.

We made the hardest decision we will ever have to make and that's where we stand now.

She's been off chemo for a while and is feeling the best she has in years. Almost starting to gain some weight.

We've already visited the cape in May, we are currently on a lake in Vermont right now. At least another week in Vermont coming in July. We plan to dedicate this entire summer to memory making.

Everyone knows that she's dying except for her and as strange as it is, I'm thankful for that. She can live whatever time she has left without that burden and a few times each day I sorta forget too.

Thanks everyone, sorry if this is a jumbled mess of an update, the latter half of this I think I wrote for myself as much as for everyone here. I've been hiding in the cabin bathroom for almost two hours writing this, looks like we have a couple beautiful days coming up to get the boat on the water. Time to get out there!

Thank you for sharing Bryan, she’s beautiful and you are a wonderful father with an amazing family. Looks like she’s loving that boat ride! May you all find peace and love in whatever comes next and I wish you all the success in making lasting memories of that wonderful smile of hers.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Our thoughts are with you. Her story and of all young people dealing with this disease are heartbreaking. It’s tough at any age. My wife is likely within weeks of losing a three cancer fight full of debilitating treatments . That she has had an otherwise relatively long life of great experiences is small consolation. But young kids are a whole other world. Life can be terribly unfair. Whatever the future holds, I’m sure you know that your joy of having her in your life will always be there and she knows how deeply you love her.

Reaction Score

5 central lines placed
250 doses of chemo
6 surgeries
4 transfers to the PICU
10 days of radiation
3 relapses

Hi Bryan, let me know if you are looking for a place to stay near Disney. I have a couple short term rental investment properties nearby. i can send links if you want to check it out. We can offer a free stay if the dates arent already booked.

Reaction Score

5 central lines placed
250 doses of chemo
6 surgeries
4 transfers to the PICU
10 days of radiation
3 relapses

Putting the pieces together, I think my fiancée, Kylie, is one of Kendall’s nurses at CCMC. She always speaks so highly of her and you & your wife. I even think your wife made our puppy a toy bin!

Enjoy your summer, I’m rooting hard for you all!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Putting the pieces together, I think my fiancée, Kylie, is one of Kendall’s nurses at CCMC. She always speaks so highly of her and you & your wife. I even think your wife made our puppy a toy bin!

Enjoy your summer, I’m rooting hard for you all!
That's us! Kylie is one of our favorites too. I remember her telling us you were a huge UConn fan, never thought to ask her if you were on the yard.

Thanks Dave!

Reaction Score
Hi Bryan, let me know if you are looking for a place to stay near Disney. I have a couple short term rental investment properties nearby. i can send links if you want to check it out. We can offer a free stay if the dates arent already booked.
Thanks gringo, I'll definitely let you know! We have scans coming up that will give us a better idea on the timeline we are working with.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
@Bryan L

Even after taking a walk it is still hard to digest all you are going through. As a Dad of two, all I can say is you and your wife are absolutely incredible for what you have done and are doing for your daughter.

Keeping yourself strong has to be a heavy load; make sure you and your wife also have support.

@temery - please lift profanity bans for references to cancer.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Bryan, thanks for taking the time to post the update. From time to time, I have wondered how she was doing. Like others, I struggle to put my feelings in the words. Please know that Kendall and your whole family are in my prayers.

Reaction Score

5 central lines placed
250 doses of chemo
6 surgeries
4 transfers to the PICU
10 days of radiation
3 relapses

You are a brave, brave set of compassionate parents.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
SOUTHINGTON — Friends of Kendall Lord, diagnosed with stage four kidney cancer, are planning a fundraiser later this month to send the seven-year-old girl and her family to Disney World.

Treatment options for the seven-year-old have been exhausted, although she’s not in pain or discomfort, said Michelle Kerski, a friend of Kendall’s mother. The focus is on “the time that she has left and making the most of it,” Kerski added.

Go Fund Me
They’re almost at their goal, we’ve seen UConn fans step up before. Let’s get them there asap.

Reaction Score
@Bryan L , Thank you for sharing your story. As a small recompense, know that sharing Kendal's story makes an outsized positive impact on anyone who hears it. It helps others stop to appreciate all the gifts life has to offer us and in so doing helps create a better world in which we live. Through the pain and joy that all of us strangers experience reading your story, Kendal and your family have had a larger positive impact than many people get a chance to make in life. Again, thank you so much for sharing your story. I hope she has a great time at Disney and gets a chance to make many more happy memories!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom