OT: - My favorite of the big 4, Marvelous Marvin, passes away at the age of 66. (link) | The Boneyard

OT: My favorite of the big 4, Marvelous Marvin, passes away at the age of 66. (link)

Reaction Score

I saw Marvin Hagler walking down Newbury Street in Boston in the late 80s. The day of a big fight. He was wearing short shorts, white knee high athletic socks, sunglasses & was carrying a huge boombox by his ear. I said to him, "Hey Marvelous, who you got tonight, Hit Man or Sugar Ray?" He turned to me and emphatically said, "I don't know, and I don't care!" Then he spun around and continued smoothly down the street with his boom box.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Still the most exciting fight. I'll listen for arguments of a "better" fight, more technical fight, etc. This was pure adrenaline.

Two boxers in their prime and just laying heavy hands the whole fight. Hearns broke his right hand in first round.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

I saw Marvin Hagler walking down Newbury Street in Boston in the late 80s. The day of a big fight. He was wearing short shorts, white knee high athletic socks, sunglasses & was carrying a huge boombox by his ear. I said to him, "Hey Marvelous, who you got tonight, Hit Man or Sugar Ray?" He turned to me and emphatically said, "I don't know, and I don't care!" Then he spun around and continued smoothly down the street with his boom box.

I just posted and deleted a thread on this once I saw yours. He was a bad man in the ring and I have a lot of fond memories of my Dad and I watching his fights together.

Reaction Score
Still the most exciting fight. I'll listen for arguments of a "better" fight, more technical fight, etc. This was pure adrenaline.

Two boxers in their prime and just laying heavy hands the whole fight. Hearns broke his right hand in first round.

I was just talking about this fight with a friend of mine the other day. Man this stinks. I loved Hagler.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
As a younger kid I wanted to believe Hagler was absolutely robbed. Sugar Ray was better in this fight than I remembered.

This was another great fight in the 80's.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Another thing where memories get foggy.

If you had told me Hearns had bigger arms than Hagler I would have laughed. Hearns' frame was bigger than I remembered.

Also, Sugar Ray, Much like Floyd Mayweather was bigger for his class than I would have assumed. Looking back 40 years later, Sugar Ray could have fought 160-165 his whole career and crushed it.

Reaction Score
Definitely the best of boxing back in the days with these 4. RIP Marvin

Reaction Score
That Sugar Ray Marvin fight made me hate boxing. One guy is the champ. You need to beat the champ. Not irritate him like a swarm of flies. The whole setup was wrong. Bigger ring, gloves, etc.

Reaction Score
He was the middleweight Joe Frazier. Never backing up, and never scared. He was an HBO legend and a fighter you never wanted to miss his fights.

That was the boxing era and he was at the top of the food chain. Hagler was the undisputed middleweight champion 1980-87, going 11yrs in 38 fights w/o defeat!

1615725646319.png

Reaction Score
Best times of boxing when the middleweights had the glamour of the heavyweights. The four mentioned mw's were always a thrill whatever matchup you could get....they all had a different style. Hagler was Boston!
Was also the time of Hartford's welterweight champion Marlon Starling in his bouts with Mark Breland.

Reaction Score
Im a huge boxing fan and Hagler was at the top of my list of favorite fighters of all time. (Hagler,Pep,Trinidad) A lot of people remember him as a strong power puncher but he was a top tier boxer. His technique was close to flawless but he was also like a tank. Without a doubt one of the greatest and most avoided fighters of all time. RIP

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom