My Car Got Stolen | Page 5 | The Boneyard

My Car Got Stolen

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
After a no big deal experience of Henri, I woke up at 4:40am, and noted that my car was not on the street outside my window. One of 12 Priuses reported gone from New Haven homes in the past day, as of my 5:50am call.

I've already completed the CT Stolen Vehicle report at the Police Dept; contacted UI to find out if nearby security cameras are operative & can be reviewed; spoken to my mechanic for used car leads; notified supportive family & friends; and girded myself for a decent hit from the experience. What else should I being doing?

My next call is to the insurance company, and learn what Actual Cash Value minus deductible will yield through my Comprehensive coverage.

Seeking advice on best sources for a reimbursed rental car while I shop for a replacement vehicle, and anything else that would be helpful in navigating this cluftersuck.

#adifferentkindofstormymonday

Reaction Score
Is Waze as wide-ranging in remembering prior searches, making predictive location options (including from Contacts) as Google Maps? I've never looked into this closely, and would switch to using it full-time, if I knew the answer to be Yes.
Yes, Waze has favorite locations (home, work, etc) and remembers prior searches. It also adjusts for your driving habits. Re-routing wise its not quite what it was 5yrs ago as they were a lot of complaints about people flying thru neighborhoods, so now it avoids that a little bit.
Pre-covid a rush hour highway drive into Boston from Burbs would be 1.15 to 1.45 straight highways. With Waze I was pretty consistent 1hr - 1.15 max and its predictive ability was astonishingly close to the minute. Nowadays its less predictable b/c historic traffic patterns don't hold = most of the time can beat its commute prediction.

Reaction Score
This was a bit of an Easter egg - glancing mention at the end of 2 quite interesting days, burying the lead to stories as yet unwritten.
I'm soon to head out and inspect the car.
Wait, they found it?! I must have missed that. I even went back through the posts just now and still missed it, although I did see some language that was written with the assumption that the reader knows the car was found.

Anyway, good luck!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sure. After the fact. With a warrant. Carpenter v. United States - SCOTUSblog Law enforcement doesn't have real time access to that data. But everyone who carries a phone, or a smart watch is voluntarily being tracked. Hell most cars do this now. Then if you pay electronically, that is tracked and recorded as well.

You could get that 1967 Mustang, and live with no phone, while paying with cash and you'd be off the grid for the most part ( except traffic cams, CCTV cams).

Getting a warrant for a high priority is a matter of minutes if they need real time data. And they'll often get a warrant that allows for continuous monitoring for longer periods of time. Plus, like you said, the car's electronics inlcuding navigation and satellite radios and stuff can track your whereabouts.

And you are correct that even if you are off the grid personally, everyone else's electronics can track you fairly accurately.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
back near the time the prius came out, crunchy pal picks me up in his new one to take two New Haven girls to their scholarship week at a sierra club camp up on the delaware river. after the umpteenth 2 lane state road, with giant trucks coming the other way, and that raked front window of the prius where everything looks larger than life, i was painfully reminded why i ain't driving anything smaller than a denali for any road trip.
i heard recently that some councilperson in toronto, i think, was trying to pass a city ordinance against pick-ups and suv's becuz, in his mind, they can psychologically emasculate others not driving one.
signed, 'not a fan of driving on the interstate always looking up at someone's license plate.'
now, back to shoehorning a barcolounger into the driver's seat of the ford 650. i gotta check if it has cupholders. best smoked eel that i ever had on that trip to the delly water gap, and the kids had big fun, sooooooo, a good time was had by all. keep the smoked eel, lose the prius.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
Since there is some 70's V8 car talk going on in here, please find below my '73 Mercury Cougar XR7.
Traded a '99 Mazda Miata straight up for it 4 years ago but that's another story for another thread.
Tehe!

1630077714189.png

1630077822381.png

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
Your license plate is your Boneyard handle?

respect GIF by Jaz Dhami

My Boneyard handle and license plate and many other website handles are me.
Been using it since high school when I found out what my favorite movie villian's name meant in Spanish class.
Find me on Phish PT.
Longstanding member of honour there.

Reaction Score
Waze is much, much quicker to re-route you if there is traffic or some incident up ahead, so I use it unless I'm a pedestrian. Then I'll use Google Maps.
I will give you that. Their traffic alerts are better. I just hate the UI and map. Both are leagues better than Apple maps, at least

Reaction Score
My catalytic converter was stolen in broad daylight yesterday in the parking lot at where I work, they have big ones. If you own a Honda Accord or Toyota Prius be very cognizant of where you are parking. Those are the hottest vehicles that thieves are are targeting. Cop said that he was very surprised they stole mine considering where it was parked. Like @temery said gone in minutes.

Reaction Score
Want to share info on a product that is supposed to help thwart this theft. It came from a poster on nextdoor.com from New Haven who took it to a mechanic to install it after her converter was stolen.

Reaction Score
Also, I am posting what the homeowner wrote to provide more context to the situation.

Hi all: I wanted to give a heads up that catalytic converters are being cut off of cars in our area. It happened to our Honda CRV last weekend (on Colony Road). It’s a crime that takes just a few minutes and it’s lucrative to the thief, and a very expensive repair for the owner (over $1,800 and a lot of hassle for us). There is at least one other person in our neighborhood that had their cat converter stolen that weekend. We reported to the police. Our mechanic (in Westville) says he’s frequently replacing them now due to theft. Because we never want this to happen again, we purchased a catalytic converter lock for our other car. It was recommended by the police officer and mechanic. Cat Clamp Catalytic Converter | Difficult | Cut | Cat Clamp Our mechanic will install it after it arrives, although if you’re handy, you could probably do it yourself.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom