Music thread: how do they do it? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Music thread: how do they do it?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Not really sure what you are going for here, but this is probably the most unique singer that I have heard and liked. I will steal a comment from Youtube comments: "I dig this guy. I first saw him perform on Saturday Night Live and was mesmerized without really knowing why. The voice, the hat, the glasses, the pose... way too cool."

Here he is, singing a song from early 1900s Vaudeville.

I knew that was going to be Leon Redbone before I opened the. video. Yep, he was unique and on of my favorites, both for his persona and his selection of old forgotten or semi-forgotten tunes. Same reason I love Tuba Skinny.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Let's not forget, for us old timers, the many doo wop versions of "Over the Rainbow." Here's the original recording of arguably the best doo wop version, complete with iconic ending notes.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Let's not forget, for us old timers, the many doo wop versions of "Over the Rainbow." Here's the original recording of arguably the best doo wop version, complete with iconic ending notes.

I remember them on American Bandstand. The pride of Columbus High, they were a Cousin Brucie favorite. Good memories!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I think I may have posted this before on another thread, but it is so astonishing I am going to post it again.

That version of "Summertime" is pretty good from someone who opens their mouth to sing, let alone one who doesn't.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
i think that the op asks 'who has a tune that breaks their image and brand?'

peas hiphoppin going all jack johnsonie, hawaii surf rock/soft rock, or whatever that stuff jj does is called.
not really my 'surf rock,' but it is a nice tune, especially if snooze patrol is on ur agenda.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Yeah, it’s hard to put your finger on what the OP is looking for, but I think it’s just songs that impact you. for me to Eric Clapton songs come to mind. Tears in Heaven was written as Clapton was coming to grips with the death of his son. There’s, for me at least, a realness to it that makes it have impact.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The second one is his “wonderful tonight“ which strikes me as a nice snapshot of mature love.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
not exactly on topic in this leon redbone props thread, but someone did mention (lol) surf music. sea surfing, snow surfing,- all the same idea except that on the powder, u get longer runs. way longer.
purrfect for that long cruiser carve down the hill.

hit 'play' just before u jump off the chairlift.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

The also very unique Dan Hicks with his take on another Waits’ classic

Geez, I thought it wouldn't get any better than an ocarina playing in an orchestra, now there's a melodica playing with Dan Hicks!

That's an interpretation of Tom Waits I never would have expected.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The short answer; one doesn’t. It’s just a three-beat pattern with a four-beat pattern every sixth measure or a four-beat pattern with a three-beat pattern every fifth measure. All rhythm is either duple or triple.
Of course, and once you know to look for it, this one is quite obviously four fours and a three. But I'd been listening to it for a couple of years before I even realized it was in an odd time. I marvel how Arjen makes it sound like a rock song all through.

Reaction Score
Speaking of "how do they do that" here's one of my favorites. Yes, Johnny Cash cashed in on it, but it was Hank's song and nobody did it better! (And I'm a big Cash fan BTW.) Sing along if you can.

Reaction Score
Geez, I thought it wouldn't get any better than an ocarina playing in an orchestra, now there's a melodica playing with Dan Hicks!

That's an interpretation of Tom Waits I never would have expected.

Here’s one Dan and Tom did together “I’ll Tell You Why That Is” on Hicks’ “Beating The Heat“ album. There is a pretty cool montage video on YouTube of the tune but there are a couple of pictures that may not be appropriate for the site so I used this one.
Bette Midler, Rickie Lee Jones, Elvis Costello and Brian Setzer also did songs with Hicks on the record.

Reaction Score
Of course, and once you know to look for it, this one is quite obviously four fours and a three. But I'd been listening to it for a couple of years before I even realized it was in an odd time. I marvel how Arjen makes it sound like a rock song all through.
When I was on stage playing Stravinsky, I sometimes wondered if there was someone in the audience unsuccessfully trying to keep time!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
im stickin with my view of the op - artist breaking with their style/brand for a tune...

mr ricch (Rodrick Wayne Moore Jr, born October 22, 1998, known professionally as Roddy Ricch, is an American rapper from Compton, California), took a popular rap tune, and dropped it country.
it was well received.

tune is called 'ballin.' yahtse!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom