Music thread: how do they do it? | The Boneyard

Music thread: how do they do it?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I heard an interview probably 20 years ago in which a kid (from the Vermont band Popcorn Behavior) said, "Tom Waits makes beautiful music from ugly parts." I thought that was an incredibly insightful and pithy remark. I've often been brought to tears by Waits's music, and I still don't understand what makes some of his songs so beautiful. Some are just sad (Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis), but some just strike a chord in me. I'll start it off with something from Waits, but feel free to post a song from an act that you just thought they couldn't do.

This is a song I first heard done by Paul Young; of course his version was very different. Didn't sound like Tom Waits at all till I listened to the lyrics. This one usually brings my wife to tears.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Not really sure what you are going for here, but this is probably the most unique singer that I have heard and liked. I will steal a comment from Youtube comments: "I dig this guy. I first saw him perform on Saturday Night Live and was mesmerized without really knowing why. The voice, the hat, the glasses, the pose... way too cool."

Here he is, singing a song from early 1900s Vaudeville.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I heard an interview probably 20 years ago in which a kid (from the Vermont band Popcorn Behavior) said, "Tom Waits makes beautiful music from ugly parts." I thought that was an incredibly insightful and pithy remark. I've often been brought to tears by Waits's music, and I still don't understand what makes some of his songs so beautiful. Some are just sad (Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis), but some just strike a chord in me. I'll start it off with something from Waits, but feel free to post a song from an act that you just thought they couldn't do.

This is a song I first heard done by Paul Young; of course his version was very different. Didn't sound like Tom Waits at all till I listened to the lyrics. This one usually brings my wife to tears.

Beautiful muscially, And Tom's unique vocal style. I love that the first word of the lyrics is "davenports', the "Kleenex" of sofas.

Reaction Score
One song that always enchanted me was this one from Latin singer Flora Purim. I always marveled at the way they created a sense of moodiness, both dark and beautiful, with a perception of floating wistfulness.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
This is a song about the end of the world that's mostly in 19 time. I don't know how someone writes a song in 19 time.

Reaction Score

Mike Ness from Social Distortion covers the Marty Robbins 1960 hit “Big Iron” about a western gun duel between a Texas Ranger and Texas Red

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not exactly sure what you're going for. But I'm going with how did she take this classic, change it up and make it like it always should have been. And did it live.

Over the Rainbow - Eva Cassidy

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
In no way do I intend to diminish Eve Cassidy's beautiful rendition, but it reminded me of another totally unique version of the song, which I'm sure you are familiar with.

BTW, is there some relationship between this song, and people who sing it dying early?

Reaction Score
Eva and Iz are two of the all time (oh yes, and Judy) best at singing Somewhere Over the Rainbow. I, also, really like this version by Sissel Kyrkjebo. Just a beautiful singer from Norway, she lights up so many songs...Shenandoah.

Reaction Score
This is a song about the end of the world that's mostly in 19 time. I don't know how someone writes a song in 19 time.

The short answer; one doesn’t. It’s just a three-beat pattern with a four-beat pattern every sixth measure or a four-beat pattern with a three-beat pattern every fifth measure. All rhythm is either duple or triple.

Reaction Score
More of Morricone's brilliance - the distinctive "twang twang" in the opening moments was accomplished by using a mouth harp:

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Not certain this one fits here, but the perfect storytelling, the hardened voice, and the certainty that most of us have been there too prompts me to offer this gem.
Johnny Cash's last song, very poignant. To steal a comment, "I know I’m not the only one, but “everyone I know goes away in the end” hits harder and harder the older I get."

Reaction Score

I could not resist dating myself, this is early Dan Hicks and The Hot Licks from 1972 on the Flip Wilson Show. Those old enough will recognize Flip’s homage to Laugh-In’s Arte Johnson.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom