MSOC Coach Ray Reid announces retirement. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

MSOC Coach Ray Reid announces retirement.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If he can get UNH to #10 in the country and losing only 1-0 to #1 Oregon State in the 3rd round of the tourney this year, what do you think he could do here? More than 10 wins in every season, 5 straight tourney appearances, a 87-25-16 record as their head coach. I don't care about a name, I want success.
We all want success and I am acquainted with and like Marc, through our soccer circles. I just feel UConn either needs to go with a well known successful alum like Donigan or get a well known national figure to attract those kids who may lean ACC etc.
Hubbard is to be applauded for what he has done in Durham but lets be honest, The America East is not a powerhouse - would his record be the same in the NBE? I highly doubt it - if Marc is hired I would not be disappointed

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
We all want success and I am acquainted with and like Marc, through our soccer circles. I just feel UConn either needs to go with a well known successful alum like Donigan or get a well known national figure to attract those kids who may lean ACC etc.
Hubbard is to be applauded for what he has done in Durham but lets be honest, The America East is not a powerhouse - would his record be the same in the NBE? I highly doubt it - if Marc is hired I would not be disappointed
I won't pretend to have any knowledge other than what I read, but he got them to #10 in the country. Assuming whoever votes for that knows what they're doing (no guarantees there), then I would expect similar numbers. As I noted, they only lost 1-0 to Oregon State, a pretty good showing after beating UNCheat 4-1 in the 2nd round. He does seem to mine Europe for a fair amount of players. The Marshall coach also has a fair amount of external recruits.
I loved Donigan as a player, but his coaching resume seems spotty. Brenner I don't know anything about.
Ultimately we're on the same page with hiring a winner and returning us to glory.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Dan’s record at Rutgers was about 40 games under .500 and his last coaching job was at a NJ High School.

Reaction Score
The job posting will be taken down at 11:55pm tonight according to the posting. Hopefully we will know our answer in the days ahead. Benedict with a chance to make a really big hire so I pray he does.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Dan’s record at Rutgers was about 40 games under .500 and his last coaching job was at a NJ High School.
He coached a HS team for one season while still getting paid by Rutgers. He is director of Sporting STL which is a huge soccer program in soccer rich St Louis. The kids in the oldest tiers are way more talented than your high school soccer team. I’ve coached at that level and it is intense. I am not saying he is better than Coach Hubbard - as I Said I think it would be great to have him come to Storrs with a younger coach and mentor for 2 years, Dan brings name recognition and will help with filling seats etc.
It would not be a mistake to ring Dan to Storrs nor would it be a mistake to entice Marc Hubbard

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Not that UConn could hire him, but I just saw an article, Clemson Coach Mike Noonan is a Staples High School 1979 graduate . . .

Reaction Score
Not that UConn could hire him, but I just saw an article, Clemson Coach Mike Noonan is a Staples High School 1979 graduate . . .
He's also 60 and just won his championship. Need someone younger and still hungry to get his first.

Reaction Score
He's also 60 and just won his championship. Need someone younger and still hungry to get his first.

I've heard a lot of good things about Reid's former assistant John Deeley (Dealey)? Anyone know where he is now? Might be worth a look.

Reaction Score
I've heard a lot of good things about Reid's former assistant John Deeley (Dealey)? Anyone know where he is now? Might be worth a look.

You can't be serious can you? He graduated SCSU in 1980 (he's old). Never had a head coaching job (why?). And was by Reid's side as the program fell from the elites (why didn't he stop it?). Where is he now? That's not a question you want to ask about someone you are about to hire.

No. No. No.

Reaction Score
You can't be serious can you? He graduated SCSU in 1980 (he's old). Never had a head coaching job (why?). And was by Reid's side as the program fell from the elites (why didn't he stop it?). Where is he now? That's not a question you want to ask about someone you are about to hire.

No. No. No.

I realize there are much better candidates, just trying to cover all the bases. Didn't know he was that old. Not sure of the timing, but I was wondering if the program slipped because he left.

Reaction Score
Interesting retweet with the fact that the job posting closed days ago

008.png

Reaction Score
LOL AD Dave ate his wheaties this morning. He's on a roll on twitter. Interesting for sure.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

No. No. No.
You seem ambivalent about him.

Reaction Score
Bobby Muuss (wake forest coach former UConn assistant and scsu alum) liked that Benedict tweet today that mentions him as one of the possibilities.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom