Ms Dee Kantner | The Boneyard

Ms Dee Kantner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
ESPN throws its weight around to have her do the UCONN games. They think it will help keep the games close and get more viewers to stick around and watch the commercials.
Must we continue to berate Ms Kantner on this forum? If Ms Kantner's officiating has adversely affected UConn over the years, it certainly has not manifested itself in the loss column or in the scores. Can we not appreciate the fact that Ms Kantner is a pioneer in her own right when she was hired by the NBA thus opening a door and paving a way for women? If some of us here feel continually compelled to criticize her performances, maybe they can be equally compelled to scour the nation and bring promising officiating candidates to the attention of those responsible for recruiting, hiring, mentoring, and developing future basketball officials.

Admittedly, the use of replay is an idea that should be considered if it helps the game. But, first it must be determined how much the game is being hurt. It seems that, right now, the only ones hurting are the fans of the most successful women's college basketball program in the country. The players, the coaches - They understand and move on. Are there grumblings among those ranks about necessary changes? Coach Auriemma has enough of a profile and standing within the game to affect changes if such changes are truly necessary. He also has many opportunities to grade Ms Kantner's performances, yet she continues to be assigned big games: Including big UConn games. What that tells me is that maybe she is better than we are willing to give her credit and that it is time to find less tiresome subjects about which to vent and rant.

Tennis adopted its challenge rule as a result of disastrous calls going against its greatest star in plain sight of the world. Maybe a similar outrage in WCBB will bring about necessary changes and improvements. Maybe basketball can adopt similar replay challenges for questionable calls. What would be a suitable punishment for unsuccessful challenges?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Must we continue to berate Ms Kantner on this forum? If Ms Kantner's officiating has adversely affected UConn over the years, it certainly has not manifested itself in the loss column or in the scores. Can we not appreciate the fact that Ms Kantner is a pioneer in her own right when she was hired by the NBA thus opening a door and paving a way for women? If some of us here feel continually compelled to criticize her performances, maybe they can be equally compelled to scour the nation and bring promising officiating candidates to the attention of those responsible for recruiting, hiring, mentoring, and developing future basketball officials.

Admittedly, the use of replay is an idea that should be considered if it helps the game. But, first it must be determined how much the game is being hurt. It seems that, right now, the only ones hurting are the fans of the most successful women's college basketball program in the country. The players, the coaches - They understand and move on. Are there grumblings among those ranks about necessary changes? Coach Auriemma has enough of a profile and standing within the game to affect changes if such changes are truly necessary. He also has many opportunities to grade Ms Kantner's performances, yet she continues to be assigned big games: Including big UConn games. What that tells me is that maybe she is better than we are willing to give her credit and that it is time to find less tiresome subjects about which to vent and rant.

Tennis adopted its challenge rule as a result of disastrous calls going against its greatest star in plain sight of the world. Maybe a similar outrage in WCBB will bring about necessary changes and improvements. Maybe basketball can adopt similar replay challenges for questionable calls. What would be a suitable punishment for unsuccessful challenges?

I never saw the post from Jim until you quoted it to start this thread.

Thanks, Mrs. Kanter. I'm sure Dee appreciates the support.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
It's hard not to admire Jim's profound ignorance on how officials are selected, and why. I enjoy a good paranoid as much as anyone.

Reaction Score
On what thread were Jim's comments" I though it might be in the Summitt one but didn't see a Jim when I scanned. but it ight have been there. Would help to see it in context.

Reaction Score
It's hard not to admire Jim's profound ignorance on how officials are selected, and why. I enjoy a good paranoid as much as anyone.

TJI - you gave me a picture once of Diana interacting with DK during a game - it seemed like they liked each other. I never guessed she was anti-UCONN until I started reading about it here....?

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Yup - She said, "She's one of the only ones I like."

Of course, Diana was probably lying, 'cause that how she rolls.

*Hi! BTW. Been too long. I'm going SCUBAing in Feb. Hoping to do same in June! Love to the family!*

Reaction Score
Yup - She said, "She's one of the only ones I like."

Of course, Diana was probably lying, 'cause that how she rolls.

*Hi! BTW. Been too long. I'm going SCUBAing in Feb. Hoping to do same in June! Love to the family!

Cool - miss you. Where you going diving?

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Exumas! Week long off a boat. And then, I hope, St. Thomas again.

Reaction Score
Exumas! Week long off a boat. And then, I hope, St. Thomas again.

Week-long live-aboard in the Bahamas? Geez - that's high-end!$!$!

Are Huskies targeting Paradise Jam anytime soon? We need to meet up at Cow & Calf off ST

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Week-long live-aboard in the Bahamas? Geez - that's high-end!$!$!

Are Huskies targeting Paradise Jam anytime soon? We need to meet up at Cow & Calf off ST

Actually - wicked LOW end $$$. Bunk beds. LOL.
Rumor has it they're back in St. Thomas 2015.... but that seems mighty soon.

Reaction Score
Actually - wicked LOW end $. Bunk beds. LOL.
Rumor has it they're back in St. Thomas 2015.... but that seems mighty soon.

Well if they do I'll see you there - under water :cool:

Reaction Score
On what thread were Jim's comments" I though it might be in the Summitt one but didn't see a Jim when I scanned. but it ight have been there. Would help to see it in context.

Jim's comments were taken from the thread Icebear started about the officials getting it right in the Tennessee/Kentucky men's game; currently on Page 2 of the forum.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Jim's comments were taken from the thread Icebear started about the officials getting it right in the Tennessee/Kentucky men's game; currently on Page 2 of the forum.
So, you were upset about a post in a thread that no one will ever see again as it's on the 2nd page?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
My point in that post was that in amen's game seeing the lack of contact under the rules the officialswaved off the foul. Dee Kantner and crew did not even get that right with the aid of video when 4" of air occupied the space and Robertson's flop was clearly all acting. An error Dee and crew had the opportunity to correct under the rules with slow motion video and still blew the call.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So, you were upset about a post in a thread that no one will ever see again as it's on the 2nd page?

1. It was among the first posts on the first page when I responded to it Saturday evening, but by Sunday afternoon, with all the new threads, it had been pushed back quickly. It happens often on the Boneyard.
2. What does it matter if I am relatively late responding to a post? It is just not easy for me to keep up with you guys.
3. Whether I was upset is a matter of interpretation and opinion, but I certainly took exception.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
1. It was among the first posts on the first page when I responded to it Saturday evening, but by Sunday afternoon, with all the new threads, it had been pushed back quickly. It happens often on the Boneyard.
2. What does it matter if I am relatively late responding to a post? It is just not easy for me to keep up with you guys.
3. Whether I was upset is a matter of interpretation and opinion, but I certainly took exception.

You started a new thread based on one post in another thread. If you weren't upset, maybe obsessed would be the right word?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
TJI - you gave me a picture once of Diana interacting with DK during a game - it seemed like they liked each other. I never guessed she was anti-UCONN until I started reading about it here....?

One has to understand these things. Clearly Kantner is horribly inadequate when she calls fouls on UConn or doesn't call them every time we think she should against the opponent; clearly Doris Burke hates the Huskies unless she is doing a UConn-Tennessee game (remember those) in which case both fan groups know damn well she favors the other team; Meghan Culmo never pays attention to the game unless she does. At least we all know the real scoop on Beth Mowins.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
One has to understand these things. Clearly Kantner is horribly inadequate when she calls fouls on UConn or doesn't call them every time we think she should against the opponent; clearly Doris Burke hates the Huskies unless she is doing a UConn-Tennessee game (remember those) in which case both fan groups know damn well she favors the other team; Meghan Culmo never pays attention to the game unless she does. At least we all know the real scoop on Beth Mowins.
She is frequently incompetent on calls involving each team. I expect us only to be concerned about those affecting UCONN during the heat of a game. It is, however, possible to demonstrate bad calls both ways but that does not make it any more acceptable.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
doggydaddy said:
You started a new thread based on one post in another thread. If you weren't upset, maybe obsessed would be the right word?

Oh, my.

Really, DD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member