OT: - Most obscure pet you (or someone close to you) has had in their house | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Most obscure pet you (or someone close to you) has had in their house

Reaction Score
I think I've seen every pet imaginable between my wife's sister and a crackpot that I worked with here's the list of pets they had that weren't the everyday pet even though they had them also. These pets lived in the house

Flying squirrels, raccoon, skunk, sugar glider, giant tortoise, ferret, pig, goat, and a blue macaw that was apparently worth tens of thousands

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think I've seen every pet imaginable between my wife's sister and a crackpot that I worked with here's the list of pets they had that weren't the everyday pet even though they had them also. These pets lived in the house

Flying squirrels, raccoon, skunk, sugar glider, giant tortoise, ferret, pig, goat, and a blue macaw that was apparently worth tens of thousands
This reminds me that we rented a loft one summer on Martha's Vineyard in a house where they had a Vietnamese potbellied pig as a pet. Thankfully, the pig could not climb the stairs to our loft, but we had plenty of interactions with it throughout the summer. Definitely very smart and very stubborn.

The family had a nanny and the pig tortured her. One time it got her purse while she was out of the house and she came home to find all of the contents arranged on the floor, with all her photos organized together and displayed in a way that a serial killer might. That freaked her out real good and she quit a few weeks later.

Reaction Score
My old boss tells the story of two of his frat brothers at SMU who had a large snake. Every Saturday in the campus eatery they would review the local paper for free kittens. All the coeds would coo over the brothers thinking they were so cute. Needless to say the kittens were fed to the snake every Saturday night.

Pretty sick. But less so than what the Flanagan hockey players would do to cats on the ice at Choate.

Reaction Score
My old boss tells the story of two of his frat brothers at SMU who had a large snake. Every Saturday in the campus eatery they would review the local paper for free kittens. All the coeds would coo over the brothers thinking they were so cute. Needless to say the kittens were fed to the snake every Saturday night.
They sound like terrible excuses for people.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

Pretty sick. But less so than what the Flanagan hockey players would do to cats on the ice at Choate.

F those people - I'm a cat guy whether people like it or not, and I genuinely believe anyone who tortures a cat is on some sort of killer/extreme mental disturbance spectrum. It takes a different capacity to do that.

Reaction Score

that is some serial killer ____.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

For a second I thought you wrote feral pig.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Had a short-tailed opossum for a year or so.

Reaction Score
Had a short-tailed opossum for a year or so.
Did it obey commands and show affection to you?

Was it housebroken?

How did it react to strangers? Did it bite when upset?

I know nothing about them. These questions I would also ask to the BY'er who owned the de-scented skunk if he is still following the tread.

Reaction Score

That sounds like Dahmer.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score

Was it housebroken?

I know nothing about them. These questions I would also ask to the BY'er who owned the de-scented skunk if he is still following the tread.
No, no, no, didn’t care, did not bite. They’re not bad pets but they are nocturnal which can be annoying depending on where the tank/cage is.

Reaction Score
When we lived in Caracas, the company had a warehouse full of furniture from which families could choose, as families were rotated in and out. We had a furniture allowance and everybody bought new mattresses, but choosing furniture from warehouse didn't affect your allowance. Not us, but everyone talked about the family who had a pet ocelot and their furniture was ripped to shreds and not subject to recycling. Rumor had it that they lived in a 10 story building and one day the cat made it to the balcony and leaped off, landed on its feet only to run away and get hit by a vehicle.

Reaction Score
F those people - I'm a cat guy whether people like it or not, and I genuinely believe anyone who tortures a cat is on some sort of killer/extreme mental disturbance spectrum. It takes a different capacity to do that.
Cats are awesome, I have a story about a cat torturer who also used to roll homeless people at night. Guy went on to be a crooked cop. People who torture cats or any other animals are sociopaths.

Reaction Score

Was it housebroken?

I knew a family that had a skunk when I was a kid. I’m not sure how they ended up with it. As I remember it, it didn’t really interact with people very much. It used to hide behind the sofa a lot.

I think it was litter box trained and ate cat food.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bubbles? Did you go to HS with The King of Pop?

Nah. This guy I grew up with who’s dad was apart of breeding endangered animals for zoos kept a monkey. Back then it was weird... police were all up his butt about permits

Reaction Score
Cats are awesome, I have a story about a cat torturer who also used to roll homeless people at night. Guy went on to be a crooked cop. People who torture cats or any other animals are sociopaths.

Of course he would become a cop. Jesus.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
We (my wife really) had an aquarium set up for mudskippers. Have to admit, they are fascinating to watch.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I went to a cookout once like 4 years ago and some kid there had a Sugar Glider. It was like a mini-squirrel with webbed extremities. He kept it in the pocket of his hoodie or just in his hands and it chilled the whole time.

I also had a buddy once who caught a real squirrel and it was super friendly. He fed/kept if for like 3 weeks and even brought it out to bars with him and it would just chill on his shoulder. Said it got him laid one night because some chick thought it was "so cute." Eventually it bit him and ran off somewhere into his house. He found it dead a few days later. He went to get tested for rabies and didn't have it thankfully.

Reaction Score
We had a white lab rat as a pet in the early 80's. Kept it in an aquarium with a wire top while we were at work but let it out when we got home from work. It was a good friend back in the day and was happy to see us when we got home. Have had dogs and rabbits and chickens since. Back in the early 70's worked for a vegetable farmer. The possum post sparked the memory. The farmer caught a possum in the barn and gave it to me to take it out in the woods to dispatch. I was not into that so I brought the possum out into the woods and let it go. The possum was caught again the next day and the farmer told me to get rid of it or else. So I went out into the woods with the possum and beat it to death with a branch. At 15 years old I thought to myself geez the world is screwed up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom