More Needs to be Said about Whalley | Page 3 | The Boneyard

More Needs to be Said about Whalley

Reaction Score
The game he played last night — offense, defense and rebounding — was as good a game as I recall seeing a UConn big play in forever. His offense has been somewhat disappointing this year, coming off the way he finished last year, but you couldn’t have asked more from an All American than we got from him last night. A double double while holding Mamu to 7 for 20 from the field on his senior night. Yes, Sanogo was great and showed what he is going to be in the future, but he wasn’t even close to our MVP last night.

Never could anyone have thought when Akok tore his Achilles a little over a year ago that Whaley was capable of a game like that. And as far as I’m concerned, last night we saw the Big East Defensive Player of the Year.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
5.7 points on 38% shooting his last 9 games before last night. The offense has been really bad with a bunch of missed bunnies, luckily the defense is always really good.
He's not out there for his offense. Granted, UConn does not win last night without his O, but whatever he gives on that end is a bonus.

Reaction Score
He's not out there for his offense. Granted, UConn does not win last night without his O, but whatever he gives on that end is a bonus.
I was responding to the comment that his offense is somewhat overblown, it's not. He has been bad on offense lately, don't need him to play like he did offensively last night but he needs to get back to making layups which he did last night.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Last night for sure. No one can argue that. I feel a few of our losses were in large part due to the fact Whaley didn’t show up.
LOL
Yeah they were totally on him
The young man plays his butt off on D and has had a bumpy road offensively but can score the ball
UConn has had many players who took vacations on both sides of the ball during the same game - Whalley is not one of them

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I was responding to the comment that his offense is somewhat overblown, it's not. He has been bad on offense lately, don't need him to play like he did offensively last night but he needs to get back to making layups which he did last night.
I think all three of us are saying something similar.

Reaction Score
UConn's big depth for last year took a hit when Javonte Brown-Ferguson transferred in January. That was unplanned. The big depth for next year is Sanogo, Akok (not 100% right now), Springs (can't get on the court), and Johnson (freshman). I do see a spot on the roster for a veteran big like Whaley and he wouldn't count against the scholarship limit.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Someone should tell Whaley there are posters here who would be fine with him coming back for another year, but he needs to be willing to come off the bench for 10 minutes a game. They wouldn't want him to impact Richie Springs' minutes lol.

Still tops in the conference in defensive rating btw.

View attachment 65215

Pauly Paulicap? What an incredible, cartoonish name.

Reaction Score
You are absolutely correct. To me, that only strengthens why we don’t need to bring Whaley back. This has nothing to do with Whaley, but more to do with our roster construction. Assuming Sanogo and Jackson make the expected sophomore jump, this team doesn’t need a clogged front court. We need depth and consistency on our perimeter. A guy who can get instant buckets. We need to replace Bouknights production. I am not suggesting you say no to a guy like a Whaley if he did decide to return. I am saying that this team could potentially be way better by going in a different direction.
You do realize that if he were to come back that he wouldn't count towards our scholarship limit. We still could go get a scorer.

Reaction Score
Whaley basically shut down Mamu and was in my mind player of the game. Early he got a block on Mamu and the look on Mamu’s face was priceless.
Got 3!!! blocks early... Mamu never went back for more.

Reaction Score
You do realize that if he were to come back that he wouldn't count towards our scholarship limit. We still could go get a scorer.
At the time I posted, I did not realize that. I do now, and I agree with you 100%.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
His defense has kept him on the court. But his offense has significantly hurt the team this season minus one or two games besides yesterday. He's been in a significant slump if you go back to the last one third of the past season. I'm not sure who has had more yips him or Tyrese. And last year he was making his ten to fifteen foot mid range shots consistently. Yesterday his midrange make was one of the few this season.

If he can regain his offense we saw last season, Cole continues on his hot streak, Tyrese gets hot and Bouk does Bouk things, Sonogo will pretty much be unstoppable.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Oh, is that all? ?
Before last season players were talking about how Cole was the best player among them. Season starts and he was nothing like what we had heard. His past six games minus the Villinova dud he's been arguably as important to the offense as Bouk.

Tyrese is a player. He's streaky but if he can put up numbers when one of the other scorers struggles it takes pressure off the team.

Bouk is Bouk.

If you put in Tyler for Whaley you get an incredible drop off on the defensive end. So Whaley getting back to last seasons form is critical imo.

Reaction Score
Since we all are singing IW's praises.. Any chance of spelling his name correctly in the OP?

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
With his energy, intensity and defensive help, I’m not sure the rating metrics even capture how effective he is for the team.

He can literally turn a games momentum with his energy on one play on either end. It’s amazing to watch.

Reaction Score
New Haven needs to rename their avenue.
With a projected 7.5% emergency tax hike, I don't there is room in the local budget to make new street signs.

Not even to hire a painter to blank out the second "l" on existing signs, though that is never done anyway.

Reaction Score
His story will never be forgotten. He is an unsung hero and will be remembered forever at UConn for never giving up. He has been awesome and his defense last night was really good even though Mamu dropped 20.
Yeah on 20 shots. LOL!

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Pauly Paulicap? What an incredible, cartoonish name.
Can’t believe no one cares about this name, and the fact (just realized) he plays for DePaul ... weird, wild stuff. Carry on.

Reaction Score
Can’t believe no one cares about this name, and the fact (just realized) he plays for DePaul ... weird, wild stuff. Carry on.
Maybe that is not his real name. Maybe it is some other longer name that got shortened to his current name. Like, maybe his birth name was Paulicapiannis Paulicapatokounmpo

Remember, Kirk Douglas was not born with that name. His name at birth was Issur Danielovitch Demsky.

Want to make some other guesses as to what his real birth name is?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom