Mora's Transfer Portal Options | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mora's Transfer Portal Options

Reaction Score
Apparently Temple's about to have a mass exodus due to issues with the coaching staff.

If Mathis enters the transfer portal, he will not be eligible to play at another FBS school next season because he already took advantage of the NCAA’s immediate eligibility rule for transfers this year when he joined the Owls, per OwlsDaily

Reaction Score
I was looking at him too. He would be a nice get.
Now this is a player that fits well. Reserve linebacker but looked solid when he played. Would be an instant starter here.

Reaction Score
That’s what I was trying to get at. People already posting 4 star linemen and 4 star linebackers. Let’s take what we can get and improve where we need to not talk about jt Daniels and 4 star linemen that are pipe dreams

4* QB transferred to Temple just saying. I’m posting a 4* OLine ”I” would like to see here, I never said he was coming here. However, if I was Mora I would go after 3 and 4 star transfers. Middle Tennessee has a 4* OLine recruit who transferred there from Georgia are they a better program than UConn?

I don’t believe at the moment we can recruit 4 star players str8 out of High School, but its highly possible to get one through the transfer portal. If you do some research theres a lot of low level G5 programs and FCS level teams that get 4 star transfers pretty much every year.

Joe Moorhead supposedly was a pipe dream and yet it was between Mora and Moorhead for the HCing job. Mora… you should know his reputation and guess what he’s here.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
That’s what I was trying to get at. People already posting 4 star linemen and 4 star linebackers. Let’s take what we can get and improve where we need to not talk about jt Daniels and 4 star linemen that are pipe dreams

Here is the thing about 4 star linemen and linebackers in the transfer portal...they weren't playing...so maybe they really aren't 4 star players?

4 star is what they were out of high school...I am sure a 4 star who went to Purdue and hasnt gotten on the field the first 2-3 years was probably overrated. But...may be a good fit here.

In general...yes...four star players are out of reach. But the transfer portal is another animal.

Reaction Score
Here is the thing about 4 star linemen and linebackers in the transfer portal...they weren't playing...so maybe they really aren't 4 star players?

4 star is what they were out of high school...I am sure a 4 star who went to Purdue and hasnt gotten on the field the first 2-3 years was probably overrated. But...may be a good fit here.

In general...yes...four star players are out of reach. But the transfer portal is another animal.
Well said - stars are for players coming out of high school.

Reaction Score
I'd take a shot at Brewer. He did pretty good at Baylor and it just hasn't worked out at Utah and for 1 yr it's worth it to bring him in if you can.

Reaction Score

4* QB transferred to Temple just saying. I’m posting a 4* OLine ”I” would like to see here, I never said he was coming here. However, if I was Mora I would go after 3 and 4 star transfers. Middle Tennessee has a 4* OLine recruit who transferred there from Georgia are they a better program than UConn?

I don’t believe at the moment we can recruit 4 star players str8 out of High School, but its highly possible to get one through the transfer portal. If you do some research theres a lot of low level G5 programs and FCS level teams that get 4 star transfers pretty much every year.

Joe Moorhead supposedly was a pipe dream and yet it was between Mora and Moorhead for the HCing job. Mora… you should know his reputation and guess what he’s here.

And that kid already leaving after a horrific year

Reaction Score
I think where we need to focus in the portal are quarterback, offensive line and linebacker. I’m not sold on any of our quarterbacks. It is possible that with a different coach one of the current crop steps up, but I wouldn’t count on it. P was exciting, but he doesn’t throw the ball that well and outside a true option running quarterbacks have a limited upside. Linebackers are not quick in general. Oline was very young, and I think you can develop linemen, but a Solid guy or 2 would really help.

On landing a quarterback, guys will go where there a opportunities. The #2 rated quarterback in the NFL draft right now transferred from Auburn to Liberty. Mathis went to Temple from Georgia. Big time programs bring in 2-3 highly rated guys on a regular basis. They can’t all play. And guys get recruited over. And sometimes the one who plays just fits the system better than the other guy. Ideally we bring in a Junior who can play for 2 years while we develop other guys.

Reaction Score
Mora‘s job is to change the paradigm we will start to get some 4 stars in the mix! It is not impossible to upgrade recruiting everybody on here needs to stop posting negatives! Stop the losing attitudes! This is part of the problem!
We have a Coach now who is positive, a decent schedule and great facilities. Once MORA puts his staff in place there is no reason recruiting won’t improve. His recruiting classes at UCLA were very high.

Reaction Score
It will be incredibly interesting to see who Mora brings in for a staff and what established relationships they might have with players in the portal. That will be the key to most of them. Perhaps some will be wanting to come home to New England or the northeast. But most will be moving on established relationships.

Reaction Score
It will be incredibly interesting to see who Mora brings in for a staff and what established relationships they might have with players in the portal. That will be the key to most of them. Perhaps some will be wanting to come home to New England or the northeast. But most will be moving on established relationships.
In a similar vein, would it preferable for Coach Mora to be targeting portal entrants from Northern based teams? If it's a decision between taking players of similar ability where one is from a northern based team & another is from SoCal or SEC-land, would the scales be tipped in favor of climate. This season we have had unusually mild weather. There are many seasons where the thermometer dips below freezing after Halloween on gamedays. It's nice to have the shortsleeve toughness advantage later in the season.

Reaction Score
Let’s be realistic people. No 4 or 5 star is going to come here year 1. He is going to need a year or two to build it up especially with the acceptance guide lines. The only way he does is if he turns it into the division one last chance U. You may have to go get the players with some troubles off the field. But all I ask is please don’t say the guy who’s a former 4 start that’s in the portal is going to pick uconn over mich cuz we hired jim mora (great hire btw) but that’s Not gonna get us major players just yet
That's not necessarily true. If a 4 or 5 star kid is transferring it's most likely because of playing time. There is a lot of opportunity at pretty much every position except running back and Qb (as I expect tyler to be the start moving forward). If a kid comes and can start right away, that can be very attractive to a lot of folks.

Reaction Score
Tyler was a 4 star out of JUCO.
Well damn I didn't know that. I really think Tyler is going to be the reason this team turns around quickly. Sure his throwing mechanics are a bit off, But when he planted his feet and set to throw, he had a pretty strong and accurate arm. He had happy feet a lot which forced to make off balance throws. I think with literally any OC that knows how to call plays, this team is scoring a lot of points.

Reaction Score
Well damn I didn't know that. I really think Tyler is going to be the reason this team turns around quickly. Sure his throwing mechanics are a bit off, But when he planted his feet and set to throw, he had a pretty strong and accurate arm. He had happy feet a lot which forced to make off balance throws. I think with literally any OC that knows how to call plays, this team is scoring a lot of points.
Not that Tyler

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Lorenzen

Reaction Score
That's not necessarily true. If a 4 or 5 star kid is transferring it's most likely because of playing time. There is a lot of opportunity at pretty much every position except running back and Qb (as I expect tyler to be the start moving forward). If a kid comes and can start right away, that can be very attractive to a lot of folks.
Running back and QB are two of the positions with plenty of playing time available. Most every FBS team has at least 2 solid, hard to tackle running backs and lot of them have 3 or 4. Could use at least 2 from the portal. None of UConn's QB's would start for almost any FBS team this year (maybe they get better). Need a ready to start portal QB. Let Tyler Phommachanh and Steven Krajewski get better (skill and coached wise) and see if they can challenge a good transfer for playing time.

Reaction Score
None of these players who are multi-stars are pipe dreams, especially those who've been sitting on the bench. Mora has every chance to sell a few on the benefits of being a huge part of the UConn turn around, the NIL opportunities that can await a 'savior" of our program and the fact that the NFL can find you just as easily here as anywhere. Mora has the gravitas and the contacts to make a run at any of them. They may opt for a bigger stage but I'm not betting against Mora just yet.

Reaction Score
Promise me we are not going to see dozens of posts randomly picking out 1 or 2 players from portal and saying, he’d be a good get. Particularly a kid with no known connection to us. If Coach Jim needs our help identifying talent, I’m sure he will ask.
Isn't this the Boneyard Portal Recruitment Department, where everyone tells JM who to pick!! :p

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom