MNT's 2021 | Page 33 | The Boneyard

MNT's 2021

Reaction Score
Weah, really? This isn't a participation league. What's he saving Pulisic for that staunch Jamaican squad.

I won't even discuss Steffen. You want to test him, the critical home fixture is not the place to do it.

Big save though.
Yes, really.

Reaction Score
WOW. That was a great second half. And there is still room for improvement. Still searching a bit for #10. But the stars did come out tonight.

BTW, the announcers are worthless.
Just think how good we can be w a healthy Reyna, a fit Pulisic and an emerging Bussio. 2022 will be fun!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Probably the best full squad match from the US in a long, long time. Even GGG picking the wrong guys worked out. Steffen and Weah had solid games but let's woah down on Weah being ahead of either Aaronson or Reyna. He's fighting with Arriola and one decent half isn't enough to pass him. Sorry, not sorry.

Overall, this is not vintage Mexico, especially on the attack, but that is their problem. A lot of crisp passing sequences and spacing to move the ball up the field like we haven't seen. Having 70% of the first squad regularly playing together certainly helps.

Goal: Solid effort by Steffen. Make one good save, controlled the area and was very sure handed. I also liked that he hit the ball long when necessary. We have sometimes been too wedded to playing short from the back. See below. Turner is still my #1, but a big effort

Defense: Dest is still ahead of Yedlin but the gap isn't a huge as you think. Both have a tendency to let attackers behind them and this was no exception. Mexico's best chance was a lapse on the right side. I'm going to give a pass on the yellows/red because the ref was terribly biased. Punishing the US more than Mexico for what were often harder fouls. The Robinsons are locked in as starters. Get used to it and there is no longer a point in arguing. Miles is our best defender and Antonee is our best left back ever. Not a high bar but he is. Zimmerman is going to give Brooks a run for the other starting spot but I'm not wild about either. I think this spot is our weakest but he's played well in the US shirt this year. No major gaffes, which is what you want. No drama, keep it up. The line got beat a couple times but played well. I can only think of a brief period were I felt they were scrambling to clear.

Midfield: They need to stop giving the ball away. This is the one knock from last night. It's not new and all three of them are subject to doing it repeatedly. Great goal by McKennie, but most of the attacking came from the wings. That's fine but we need to clean up on both ends of the field. That said, this is a good US group. We have 4 guys (McK, Adams, Acosta, Musah) we can play without worry. I want to see Musah against better (non-Concacaf) competition. Lots of talent here, they all need to be more consistently effective but they played well together. I feel this unit is set and will play based on schedule/yellows/injury.

Forwards: Pulisic has been training for at least a couple weeks. He should have started. We shouldn't need him against Jamaica. GGG screwed this up, but it worked out perfectly for him so, GGG. Not Pepi's best game, sort of shrunk from the competition but he wasn't playing with the first team wings. Weah, the quality of his cross to Pulisic stuck out. Really stuck out compared to typical US play. It was perfect. He was very active, especially in the 2nd half. In the first half, he looked lost event denying Pepi a perfect half turn shot from 15 yds. He's in the mix, but he has not shown he's any better than other potential replacements. Aaronson is hands down our 3rd best winger behind Pulisic and Reyna in some cases may be preferred over either if they aren't hustling. He has been a game changer when on the field. Not as talented and not as much of a threat, but he does the work necessary to help set up chances. He will have trouble getting on the field as both CP and Reyna are likely 70-90 guys. I'd rather see him out there than any of the other subs.

It was a great win and all but locks up a qualifying spot. Sitting on 14 pts with 7 games left, they only need 3 wins our of those 7 to clinch a top 3 spot. Goal now is to clinch as earlier as possible to develop familiarity and depth.

Reaction Score
I'm worried about Antonee. He is not a good passer and gives the ball away too often, but I like his physical presence and his speed getting to balls.

I want Zimmerman to replace Brooks. Brooks makes way too many mistakes.

I want Weah and Musah on the field always. Not sure who will suffer when Reyna comes back, but I hope it's not them. It may be Aaronson.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Weah looked more ready than Aaronson IMO.

Disagree. BA was more of a factor over the 90 without disrespecting Weah's last 20 minute or his sterling cross for the goal. Weah still seems like an extra appendage more than part of the whole at the moment.

It's a fine debate since we are talking about backups. I think the squad would be helped by giving Weah a shot at Pepi's spot.

Reaction Score
Disagree. BA was more of a factor over the 90 without disrespecting Weah's last 20 minute or his sterling cross for the goal. Weah still seems like an extra appendage more than part of the whole at the moment.

It's a fine debate since we are talking about backups. I think the squad would be helped by giving Weah a shot at Pepi's spot.
I don’t know your issue with Weah. He was so obviously our best player yesterday and has been in great form with us recently. He’s strong and fast and agile, and is actually really good in the air. He was significantly better than BA yesterday.

Reaction Score

Aaronson didn’t play 90. We didn’t score until he came off.

I love the player but he wasn’t much of a factor last night. Weah gave us a physicality that we needed against Mexico.

Reaction Score
Given how inconsistent striker/cf play has been and how talented our wingers are. I almost think that starting Pulisic there might not be a terrible plan. He clearly is the best player in the box and he knows where to be to score.

Reaction Score
Goal now is to clinch as earlier as possible to develop familiarity and depth.

Was hoping our goal would be to clinch the top spot by playing our best guys and letting them get familiar with being the top dog in this Federation.

Reaction Score
I thought Aaronson looked like a little boy and let himself get punked with the eye rake. Puli was such a huge improvement over him. Not a big weah fan but weah was miles ahead of Aaronson last night

Reaction Score
I agree that Weah was the man of the match. He has performed well every time we put him on the field lately.

But Aronson is probably the most energetic player the USA puts on the field. The guy is all over the place on defense and offense. His game would be helped by having a striker that demands attention.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It was so great to see Weah show his quality last night. I love the guy.

Reaction Score
I thought Aaronson looked like a little boy and let himself get punked with the eye rake. Puli was such a huge improvement over him. Not a big weah fan but weah was miles ahead of Aaronson last night

I think Aaronson is great but it wasn’t his night.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I was pissed that he didn’t throw a sharp elbow to that guy’s nuts. Props to McKennie who has everybody’s back on a team that completely lacks a physical presence. PepI is a big boy but plays small and soft. It’s a weakness that concerns me against big Euro teams. That said, it should have been a red card.

Now that I watched all it on DVR, some thoughts.

On Pulisic’s goal, he sees Weah and knows the cross is coming, moves up for it. Pepi, who’s job it is to see that and do that, instead backs up, away from the goal. I don’t think he’s the answer.

Somebody suggested Weah, but I’d try McKennie at striker once Reyna is back. I like Weah on the wing and I think Reyna is our best distributor and dribbler in traffic and is better at CM than on the wing.

Jamaica is playing better. This next one won’t be easy with two starters out.

Reaction Score
Jamaica will be a completely different team with Bailey and Antonio back. Antonio is a legit PL scorer which our team rarely sees in qualifying. The mexico win was huge for us

Reaction Score
Jamaica will be a completely different team with Bailey and Antonio back. Antonio is a legit PL scorer which our team rarely sees in qualifying. The mexico win was huge for us
Agreed that tonight will be different. Sounds like Steffen retains his place and Richards/Mackenzie will play in Robinson's spot. Acosta likely to play for Weston. Hope we get more minutes for CP but, to your point Lluconn, huge 3 pts in Cincy.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Agreed that tonight will be different. Sounds like Steffen retains his place and Richards/Mackenzie will play in Robinson's spot. Acosta likely to play for Weston. Hope we get more minutes for CP but, to your point Lluconn, huge 3 pts in Cincy.

I think Acosta is a defensive upgrade perhaps, but definitely a major offensive downgrade. If Aaronson sits for Pulisic, Acosta may take free kicks. Steffen may be the right choice against this more physical team. Not sure where the offense will come from, they press us hard and we struggle with that. Mexico sat back.

Really would like a point out of this match. Didn’t realize it was at 5:00 until a few minutes ago.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if B sat Pulisic for the first half. Not amused but not surprised.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom