MNT's 2021 | Page 30 | The Boneyard

MNT's 2021

Reaction Score
And Pulisic never set foot in one either.
Pulisic developed with a DA club. Same league as MLS. His competition was MLS academies. Their training strictly followed US soccer weekly practice plans

Reaction Score
I'm not quite there yet on Brooks/Zimmerman. No one has grabbed that spot yet and these ended up being easy games for the defense and yet Jamaica got a lot of chances. Mexico will tell a lot.
I’m just pretty critical of Brooks. So sloppy and constantly out of position. Sure he looks good clearing the ball but I’d rather my defenders not make huge mistakes.

Reaction Score
Gotcha. Do they have more skills than Pulisic or Reyna though?
Pulisic trained in Europe when he was young and his parents both being players and coaches trained him properly as well. Gio similar deal, his father played and trained all across Europe so he instilled that. Weah can be put into this category as well. Almost all of our best players have had links or trained in Europe. Fabian Johnson another example.

And regardless, yes Dest is more technical than both. And Musah is on there level at the very least.

Reaction Score
Dest might be the sauciest of them all.
And I’d go Musah over McKennie right now and start last nights midfield so Acosta (really????) isn’t in that lineup

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Here are your (my) post October power rankings and positional locks (*). (Yes, barring injury and changes in form, we have a few more.) Striker is still wide open even if Pepi is the only one scoring. We thank a few more for applying and a few others moved up by not being here to balance the roster. Other than Striker and reserve CB's, I actually think the 23 is pretty much set. We are going to ride Dest, good and bad.

Pepi
Gioacchini
Pulisic*Reyna*
Arronson*Arronson*
McKennie*Arriola
Musah*
Adams*Acosta*
LletgetLletget
A. Robinson*M. Robinson*BrooksDest*
DestZimmermanReamYedlin
LongAcosta
Turner*
Steffen*
Horvath

Position DetailPosition RankPlayer1-23 RankChangeLast
LW1Pulisic11
RW1Reyna22
DM1Adams33
G1Turner4+711
LB1A. Robinson5+38
CB1M. Robinson6-15
RB1Dest7+29
AM1McKennie8-44
CB2Brooks9-27
DM2Acosta10-46
RB2Yedlin11-110
ST1Pepi12+416
ST2Gioacchini13-112
LW/RW2Arronson14+1731
RW3Arriola15-113
AM2Musah16+925
DM3Lletget17-114
G2Steffen1818
CB3Zimmerman19+221
ST3Sargent20-317
AM3Roldan21-219
RB3Cannon22+123
G3Horvath23+124
LW3Hoppe24+226
CB4Ream25-520
CB5Long26+430
RW4Weah27-1215
CB6Miazga28-622
RB4Moore29-128
ST5Dike30-129
G4Johnson31+334
DM4Yueill3232
RW5Morris3333
ST6Pefok34+135
ST7Zardes35-827
G6Guzan3636
G5Ochoa3737
ST8Altidore3838
AM4BusioNRNR
AM5WilliamsonNRNR
CB7RichardsNRNR
CB8McKenzieNRNR
CB9SandsNRNR
CB10KesslerNRNR
CB11PinesNRNR
LB3BelloNRNR
LB4VinesNRNR
LW4KonradNRNR
LW5LewisNRNR

From what I've seen, I'd replace Brooks with Zimmerman and Acosta with Musah or Weah. Alternatively, I'd rather see Reyna at McKennie's spot, Aaronson starting on the right side (Weah backup) and McKennie in Acosta's spot.

Ultimately we need to find a way to get our best 11 on the pitch in a formation that works to their skills. I think Reyna is our best CM, much better in tight space than McKennie. We've got wingers to spare, and need him more in midfield.

To @LIuconn's point, not sure how we start Acosta with this roster. I like him on the squad as a steady veteran player. A good sub for the more erratic McKennie if we are protecting a lead.

Reaction Score
Pulisic developed with a DA club. Same league as MLS. His competition was MLS academies. Their training strictly followed US soccer weekly practice plans

Yeah but unlike most DA’s it’s not a total ripoff.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
90% of our best players in Europe played in the development academy league. That is saying something. Pulisic, Adams, McKennie, Reyna, all of them went through US soccer DA clubs
The key thing is, they got out!

Reaction Score
The key thing is, they got out!
When they were 16!

If the academy is successful, that is when you want them to leave.

Isn't it? Am I wrong?

By the time you're 16, you should've already trained in the academies. It's not like a thing you join when you're 15. By then it's too late.

Adams never left the academy, he just went straight to MLS at 19. Reyna left NYC at 16 and Pulisic left PA Classics right before his 16th birthday.

I like Musah a lot but I don't see him as the most skilled. Dest on the other hand is definitely technically gifted. Weah is not. Brooks is not. (I'm naming guys that were trained in Europe from a young age).

Reaction Score
Yeah but unlike most DA’s it’s not a total ripoff.
Most DAs are free. I guess you get what you pay for?

At least the people I know with kids at the MLS DAs and several others they don't pay a dime.

Until US Soccer went broke with Covid they actually used to subsidize heavily the non-MLS DAs.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I’m just pretty critical of Brooks. So sloppy and constantly out of position. Sure he looks good clearing the ball but I’d rather my defenders not make huge mistakes.
I agree, but you can say that about all but the Robinsons this cycle. We are weak in the back and have trouble scoring.

Every match is going to be a nailbiter as to of we make the big mistake or catch a timely goal.

The fact that Ream is still in the 23 mix shows how weak the pool is. I don't mind GGG experimenting with that other CB spot but he has to do better job of screening in camp that ends up with Richards playing in a key qualifier.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
From what I've seen, I'd replace Brooks with Zimmerman and Acosta with Musah or Weah. Alternatively, I'd rather see Reyna at McKennie's spot, Aaronson starting on the right side (Weah backup) and McKennie in Acosta's spot.

Ultimately we need to find a way to get our best 11 on the pitch in a formation that works to their skills. I think Reyna is our best CM, much better in tight space than McKennie. We've got wingers to spare, and need him more in midfield.

To @LIuconn's point, not sure how we start Acosta with this roster. I like him on the squad as a steady veteran player. A good sub for the more erratic McKennie if we are protecting a lead.

Right now I have 2 holding mids as the default formation. Adams and Acosta are those two. Other formations would result in changes. From what I've seen I think there is a diminishing return by moving Reyna inside. He like Pulisic is too easily knocked over. Better for the team on the wing. As far as Aronson has come, I don't think he is a starter in a big game. He's looked real good by comparison in this round and his set piece delivery has been good, but his crosses and final third passing aren't enough to put him in Reyna's wing spot, but he's first off the bench right now if either guy goes down or we need to rest them.

You can make a case that our best formation by 2022 will be Adams and McKennie playing behind Musah. That would relegate Lletget of the squad and add guys like Cannon or Sargent.

Though I think GGG is keeping both him and Arriola as known consistent if unspectacular performers. I'm only showing 22 players on the grid at the moment. Injures may decide the last spot.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score

At least the people I know with kids at the MLS DAs and several others they don't pay a dime.

Until US Soccer went broke with Covid they actually used to subsidize heavily the non-MLS DAs.

Pay to play is definitely not the way to identify and recruit soccer players. No other nation does that.

Reaction Score
Right now I have 2 holding mids as the default formation. Adams and Acosta are those two. Other formations would result in changes. From what I've seen I think there is a diminishing return by moving Reyna inside. He like Pulisic is too easily knocked over. Better for the team on the wing. As far as Aronson has come, I don't think he is a starter in a big game. He's looked real good by comparison in this round and his set piece delivery has been good, but his crosses and final third passing aren't enough to put him in Reyna's wing spot, but he's first off the bench right now if either guy goes down or we need to rest them.

You can make a case that our best formation by 2022 will be Adams and McKennie playing behind Musah. That would relegate Lletget of the squad and add guys like Cannon or Sargent.

Though I think GGG is keeping both him and Arriola as known consistent if unspectacular performers. I'm only showing 22 players on the grid at the moment. Injures may decide the last spot.
Gio isn’t frail or weak on the ball. He’s tall while and protects the ball pretty well. Puli is similar, though not on the same level as Sterling and Hazard, in the way that he gets good leverage while he dribbles, he just gets chopped down a lot. But to your point that Reyna is better on the wing, he’s been much better for both club and country when deployed through the center or inverted, he doesn’t have the blistering pace that Pulisic has, but he has a much more matured passing ability and is more of a creator than Pulisic. I think Reyna through the middle and Weah and Pulisic is our best, most lethal attack right now.

Reaction Score

They had like 200M in the bank. No way they went broke.

Reaction Score
They had like 200M in the bank. No way they went broke.
Something happened that blew a hole through their budget because the youth league went belly-up overnight.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Gio isn’t frail or weak on the ball. He’s tall while and protects the ball pretty well. Puli is similar, though not on the same level as Sterling and Hazard, in the way that he gets good leverage while he dribbles, he just gets chopped down a lot. But to your point that Reyna is better on the wing, he’s been much better for both club and country when deployed through the center or inverted, he doesn’t have the blistering pace that Pulisic has, but he has a much more matured passing ability and is more of a creator than Pulisic. I think Reyna through the middle and Weah and Pulisic is our best, most lethal attack right now.

Not from what I've seen. As for Weah, I still have hopes for him but to be honest he hasn't shown well except against the flotsam. He looked lost of basic spacing and overlapping. The shot was excellent despite the own goal but we can't let that fool us as it has many times before (ahem, Altidore, Zardes). He just wasn't dangerous enough the other 70 minutes he was on the pitch. Still some time left and there are opportunities to make the squad, but for me, he didn't grab the job by the throat like a number of other players have. I'm more excited about the Robinsons, Turner, Musah, Arronson, Reyna, even Pepi staking their claim this summer to go with the guys we knew would be starters. I wasn't expecting so many spots to be locked up by now.

Reaction Score
It’s not free for everyone.
Really? Every parent of a kid of I've ever met there (10+) said it was free. Our friends just moved to Atlanta to be with their kid. Father found a new job down there.

Little known fact about Europe though is that if you're not a wunderkind you do pay for club soccer. We had a coach from Spain that annually paid a fee to the club (500e) when he was young.

Reaction Score
Sargent once again playing great in the Premier league. Clearly, we use him wrong. he's had 2 great plays already, a flick on header that was saved, and settled a long pass cleanly and got off a hard shot (deflected for a corner).

Reaction Score
Sargent once again playing great in the Premier league. Clearly, we use him wrong. he's had 2 great plays already, a flick on header that was saved, and settled a long pass cleanly and got off a hard shot (deflected for a corner).
It’s not solely that we use him wrong. The last 5 or so appearances for us he’s just simply been poor. Invisible, minimal end product, just nothing of note. Pepi has also had games like that but he still pops up with a goal while Sargent doesn’t.

Reaction Score
It’s not solely that we use him wrong. The last 5 or so appearances for us he’s just simply been poor. Invisible, minimal end product, just nothing of note. Pepi has also had games like that but he still pops up with a goal while Sargent doesn’t.
But I'm going to say he does well against better competition, which he is seeing in the Premier League. Something is really off here.

Reaction Score
I don't get people dissing Dest. Without him we tie or lose to both Jamaica and Costa Rica. The first goal was not his fault (or even a mistake). It was good service by Costa Rica and bad coverage by the USA.

I thought we were pretty much dominate but our service from the wings was lacking. We still could have had another goal or two.

And remember no Pulisic, no Brooks, no Pefok even on the roster. If we stay healthy we could be formidable.
The biggest concern is Dest is that in his position on the field, he needs to work just as hard going back to cover as he does going forward to goal and he can't afford to turn-off from time-to-time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom