MLS 2019 | The Boneyard

MLS 2019

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
So I watched a few games this weekend. Liked that a lot of games were on ESPN+. Hopefully more games will be available on there as I know a lot of MLS games switch over to regional networks except for two games a week.

Anyway, the level of play seems to have really increased. Maybe it's because I've spent most my time now watching Championship level soccer, but I found many MLS games enjoyable to watch. I can definitely see myself watching more games this season.

Now it'll be time to latch on to a team. Can't like the Revs because of the Kraft connection and the lack of a real stadium.

Would like to hear from those who've watched MLS more if they agree the level of play has increased.

Reaction Score
So I watched a few games this weekend. Liked that a lot of games were on ESPN+. Hopefully more games will be available on there as I know a lot of MLS games switch over to regional networks except for two games a week.

Anyway, the level of play seems to have really increased. Maybe it's because I've spent most my time now watching Championship level soccer, but I found many MLS games enjoyable to watch. I can definitely see myself watching more games this season.

Now it'll be time to latch on to a team. Can't like the Revs because of the Kraft connection and the lack of a real stadium.

Would like to hear from those who've watched MLS more if they agree the level of play has increased.

It’s gone up because teams can spend a little more money and don’t have to rely on American players from college soccer to fill out their rosters.

Reaction Score
It has improved yet things are still so MLSey. Dio's game winner for LAFC came off a horrific first touch by Harvey.
I'll watch because it's ours. I do wish they would get away from promoting the league to promoting individual markets and teams.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
A lot of the games I watched looked like they were played on turf of some kind and not grass. I understand why Seattle and NE has it but why would someone like LAFC have it? Or was it just my vision?

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score

Get in on the ground floor and catch FC Cincinnati fever!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

im pretty sure every game all season is on + unless you are blacked out for your local team.

i.e the revs were blacked out for me.

after like 4/15 I think the entire USL slate is on as well.

Reaction Score
LAFC has a gorgeous natural grass field. It only looks like turf, and they water it before games and at halftime. I think most fields are natural grass, even Colorado underneath all that snow yesterday

Reaction Score
Sporting installed a heating system underneath the pitch this winter. That pitch is amazing to stand on.

I thought the Sporting-LOLFC game was pretty good.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Looks like I'll be watching some more MLS. Just found the ESPN app on my TV so got that and can watch ESPN+ so I'm good to go. Can care less when they black out Revs games.

Going to assume they won't black out Hartford Athletic games unless it's on a local network?

Like I said, game seems to have be upped in terms of game play. Could be because I've been watching lots of Championship soccer but MLS isn't a bad alternative for the summer months like it used to be.

The LAFC crowd was rocking but Bradley can kiss my *'" after what he did at Swansea.

Reaction Score
Going to assume they won't black out Hartford Athletic games unless it's on a local network?

in talking w the club they said all HA games will be on ESPN+

Reaction Score
Looks like I'll be watching some more MLS. Just found the ESPN app on my TV so got that and can watch ESPN+ so I'm good to go. Can care less when they black out Revs games.

Like I said, game seems to have be upped in terms of game play. Could be because I've been watching lots of Championship soccer but MLS isn't a bad alternative for the summer months like it used to be.

The LAFC crowd was rocking but Bradley can kiss my *'" after what he did at Swansea.

If I lived in the NE I would be a Red Bull fan. Great team, great stadium. I have no idea why they don’t fill up every game, but I hear it’s a pain to get to. F the Revs.

MLS isn’t awful if you follow the league. It’s just kind of boring in that it doesn’t have any villains or managers saying and doing controversial things.

Reaction Score
If I lived in the NE I would be a Red Bull fan. Great team, great stadium. I have no idea why they don’t fill up every game, but I hear it’s a pain to get to. F the Revs.

MLS isn’t awful if you follow the league. It’s just kind of boring in that it doesn’t have any villains or managers saying and doing controversial things.

Other than the fact that it has poor access, little parking and is surrounded by brownfields that make the Colt Park area seem gentrified by comparison, Red Bull Arena is great. I don't know if they still do because the Red Bulls don't have too many capacity crowds, but when it first opened I saw a sign in a Newark parking garage that said it was a Red Bulls lot and where to wait for the shuttle. Who wants to take a shuttle from Newark to go to a match?

That should give you an idea of the problem NYFC and the Revs face. The Red Bulls looked for years and a Harrison, NJ brownfield was the best location they could find. You can expect to see Gillette and Yankee stadiums on the MLS schedule for the foreseeable future.

RBA.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I haven't been but red bull arena looks like it fits in Europe on TV. Isn't a path train nearby?

Reaction Score
Yes, t
I haven't been but red bull arena looks like it fits in Europe on TV. Isn't a path train nearby?

There is a PATH station on the Newark-Penn Station to WTC line. It’s just out of the picture above where the tracks exit on the upper left hand side. It’s probably about 1/3 mile to the stadium. That line is pretty much a quick hop between the end points. IIRC most train riders will have to change at Newark-Penn or Hoboken. It’s hardly the Manhattan or close in borough location with subway access they had hoped to find.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I’ve actually enjoyed the Championship other than Norwich and Leeds come back two down every week.

Reaction Score
I've seen a handful of USNT matches at RBA and absolutely love the stadium. We have chartered busses there/back but I have heard of the traffic and parking nightmares.

Gorgeous stadium, definitely recommend catching a game there.

Looking forward to visiting DC, Minny and Orlando in the future and LOVE how many soccer-specific venues are coming about.

Reaction Score
Yes, t

There is a PATH station on the Newark-Penn Station to WTC line. It’s just out of the picture above where the tracks exit on the upper left hand side. It’s probably about 1/3 mile to the stadium. That line is pretty much a quick hop between the end points. IIRC most train riders will have to change at Newark-Penn or Hoboken. It’s hardly the Manhattan or close in borough location with subway access they had hoped to find.

I have been to both USMNT and Red Bulls (lord, how much I can't stand the name) matches in Harrison both from the city and from the burbs. From the City, basically take the PATH from WTC (about 20 minutes) to get there and its a 10 minute walk from the Harrison PATH station. Technically, its about a 15 minute walk from Newark's Penn Station for people who take NJ Transit; but, its rare to do as its Newark, though the route would take folks from two of the safest neighborhoods in Newark - the business district and upper Ironbound. With respect to driving, I usually park at the PATH station garage and walk over, again simple, and the immediate area around the Arena has become nice with new residences, hotels, and basic restaurants driven by the recently re-built PATH station. The challenge is that while the area immediately around the Arena has been built, the space in between the Arena neighborhood and the highways (I-280 and Route 21) has not. That space is not dangerous; but, its tricky to navigate, especially at night. The Arena itself is nice as its designed for soccer, so the sight lines are good and the roof keeps the sound in. Much better that NYCFC's use of Yankee Stadium. Simply stated, I think this biggest issue for Red Bulls is that its in Jersey and not NYC proper and that impacts people's perception of the team. The Red Bulls are also a bit nervous in that NYCFC has developed a training facility on the west side of the Hudson in Rockland County NY, which historically been considered Red Bull territory. The big question thus becomes where will NYCFC build its own stadium.

A shout out to the town of Harrison, its a small, tough, factory town of about 17,000 people with a lot of soccer heritage. It's high school, which has about 700 students, has won over 25 state (NJ) soccer titles. I think its a national record or something. Harrison High also has a really bitter soccer rival with next door Kearny High school (1,600 kdis), which is the hometown of Tony Meola and John Harkes.

The World Cup is an obsession in North Jersey cradle of American soccer

Reaction Score
So in the Concacaf Champions League 4 MLS teams made it to the quarters and after the first leg of the quarters only Sporting has a snowballs chance in hell of advancing and the lost 2-1 away with a mixed bag lineup of a sparse 1st choice players and some subs.

So that elusive first CCL title for MLS will probably have to wait another year.

Reaction Score
MLS isn’t awful if you follow the league. It’s just kind of boring in that ...
... until mid-May there’s just so many markedly better leagues and games involving absolutely better players. When the summer dead sports’ period hits and baseball’s the primary alternative, MLS becomes more watchable.

Reaction Score
... until mid-May there’s just so many markedly better leagues and games involving absolutely better players. When the summer dead sports’ period hits and baseball’s the primary alternative, MLS becomes more watchable.

The simple problem is that Americans have no interest in something if it isn’t the best. Nobody here really follows pro basketball in Spain.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
I’ve actually enjoyed the Championship other than Norwich and Leeds come back two down every week.
I agree 100%. Just wish there were more games available. The league is so wide open in terms of play. I really enjoy it. Now if only the owners of Swansea would disappear, life would be great

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I agree 100%. Just wish there were more games available. The league is so wide open in terms of play. I really enjoy it. Now if only the owners of Swansea would disappear, life would be great

I paid for ifollow which was like $130 but has everything not on ESPN+. No replays and you get the local radio feed which is tremendous.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
I paid for ifollow which was like $130 but has everything not on ESPN+. No replays and you get the local radio feed which is tremendous.
I've been watching the games on ESPN+ and considered buying a subscription to something like SwansTV which is around that cost 130. However, I'm not home enough to watch enough games to justify the cost. Girls are still too young for me to have enough time to watch games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom