MLB to add Negro Leagues to the official record books | The Boneyard

MLB to add Negro Leagues to the official record books

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you guys get a chance look up Cam Perron, he's the reason we got to this point. He was a 14 year old white kid in the Boston Suburbs and he started researching all the forgotten about black ballplayers, digging up any info he could, tracking them down for recognition and their MLB pensions they were owed. He became a part of the families of these old former ballplayers. He has been doing this for the last 10/11 years. It's an amazing story and there will be books and movies made about it.

Reaction Score
Tried to google it, with no luck... how many HRs did Hank Aaron have playing in the Negro Leagues? Will they include his stats?

Reactions: VCE
Reaction Score
Tried to google it, with no luck... how many HRs did Hank Aaron have playing in the Negro Leagues? Will they include his stats?
He hit 9 HRs, but stats will only be counted through 1948 and his came later on so it's still Bonds

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
So, are Steve Young’s and Herschel Walkers USFL stats included in their NFL totals too?
Not until the NFL decides ita a good idea.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If NFL wanted to merge USFL with NFL numbers that's their perogative. NBA did it was ABA stats even though the leagues had different rules (ABA had a 3-point shot, NBA didn't).

MLB combines AL and NL numbers even though one league has DH and other one doesn't.

At the end of the day, it's the leagues' decisions and in 40 years no one will care.

Reaction Score
Haven’t had a chance to read the article, but didn’t Josh Gibson hit like 830 home runs or something absurd like that?

I saw something that those totals include every game he played in including exhibitions, games against semi-pro teams, barnstorming (note: these might all be the same thing) as that is what they had to do to remain financially viable. It'd be like adding HR's for Ruth that he hit in Japan or during All Star games.

Also, the games weren't tracked as religiously as the AL/NL at that time, so they can only count stats that they can verify.

Of course the first thing I did was check to see if Aaron would overtake Bonds :)

Reaction Score
If NFL wanted to merge USFL with NFL numbers that's their perogative. NBA did it was ABA stats even though the leagues had different rules (ABA had a 3-point shot, NBA didn't).

MLB combines AL and NL numbers even though one league has DH and other one doesn't.

At the end of the day, it's the leagues' decisions and in 40 years no one will care.

Right. And my point is that anytime a league blurs those lines, it waters down the overall stat pool.

Reaction Score

Much like this pointless virtue signalling from MLB.

Reaction Score
I'm glad that it calls more attention to the Negro Leagues and it was a league full of pro's, but does this mean Oh's the Major League homerun king.

I'm sorry. Call me cynical, but it just feels kind of 'dirty' to me, like MLB is trying to 'whitewash' it's past. Celebrate the Negro League and it's stars. Educate young players and fans.

Baseball still has a major problem with getting the interest of young black athletes. This is what they should be addressing right now. Don't just say 'Yah, were including them decades way too late. Again, celebrate the league, the players and work on making baseball all of America's pastime. I'm glad if this move does, but I think in the long run, there is a chance it minimizes the struggle that many of the players went through. That can't ever be forgotten.

Reaction Score
MLB was watered down until the 1950's. The Negro Leagues were always the Major Leagues, now it's just official.

Well, again. By that logic, the NFL would be watered down until the USFL guys joined in.

Reaction Score
Well, again. By that logic, the NFL would be watered down until the USFL guys joined in.
No, the USFL was only around 3 years and was horrible in comparison to the NFL and the Negro Leagues were on equal footing with MLB. The NFL didn't ban all black players and ban all Latino players who had dark skin/looked black. You're trying to make some point here and all it's doing is making you look ignorant.

To answer your question the reason the USFL was destroyed and they aren't any part of the NFL is because of Donald Trump.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I doubt many of the records will change too much. The Negro Leagues did a lot of barnstorming tours, which will be counted as exhibition games I would imagine and therefore not count towards professional records. Also the Negro Leagues only played 60+ games a year.

Reaction Score
No, the USFL was only around 3 years and was horrible in comparison to the NFL and the Negro Leagues were on equal footing with MLB. The NFL didn't ban all black players and ban all Latino players who had dark skin/looked black. You're trying to make some point here and all it's doing is making you look ignorant.

To answer your question the reason the USFL was destroyed and they aren't any part of the NFL is because of Donald Trump.

I guess the USFL was horrible. They still had Jim Kelly, Steve Young, Reggie White, Herschel Walker, Mike Rozier and Doug Williams. And the negro league were played in the 1890s to 1930's, where the quality of baseball was really high end. Guys pitching 330 innings on 3 days rest. 2-3 guys in the entire league hitting more than 12-13 hrs a year over fences 480 yds away and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom