OT: - Missed Concert Opportunities | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Missed Concert Opportunities

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
My rationale for Grateful Dead is the same as yours. Saw Frampton 3-4 years ago. It was just like Frampton Comes Alive. He hasn't lost anything and really transports the audience to the 70's. It's like a time machine.

On the bad timing front, some friends and I were invited by UConn friends from Cheshire to go to Toad's Place one summer. We knew the Stones were holed up at The Gunnery School in Washington CT (because my roommate worked at the only liquor store in town). The girls went to Toad's, we didn't join them. This is what they saw.

Yeah, I was going to go but work dragged me in that night.
I also missed Talking Heads at West Point and Miles Davis in Tokyo thanks to the need to keep the job.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Very glad I saw Prince, but I really wish I'd have seen him in any or all of the 3 prior decades.
If that was the Musicology Tour, I agree. He was amazing but I still had the feeling he was holding back.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I had a ticket to see the Allman brothers in New Haven in 1973, but had a neck injury at my summer job installing inground pools, so I want allowed to go.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
1980. junior year in high school. Mom wouldn't let me go see the Commodores @ MSG because it was a school night. Opening act was Bob Marley & the Wailers. Next show in Pittsburgh was the mighty Bob's last :(. Lucky to have seen Tosh, Bunny & Prince.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
My parents saw Pink Floyd in 1994. I was 11 at the time, so I had been to concerts with them, but they didn’t take me. We figured I’d see them on their next tour. Of course, there was no next tour. Luckily, I’ve seen both David Gilmour and Roger Waters on solo tours.

I saw Clapton at the Garden a few years back. I wish I had seen him there when he toured with Steve Winwood, though.
Those 94 shows were real good but that wasn’t really Pink Floyd. No waters.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Far and away it’s never seeing Pink Floyd. That just kills me to this day.

I also turned down a free ticket to the Public Enemy/Beastie Boys show, I think in New Haven. I vividly recall saying thanks but no thanks. Idiot.
Saw them at Nassau coliseum on the wall tour they only did 5 shows in NY and 7 in LA and that was it. Last north American og floyd lineup.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Head to the Netherlands and catch a performance by The Analogues. I went to the Abbey Road 50th anniversary show in Antwerp back in 2019. They have no equal when it comes to performing late-era Beatles (Revolver and later) as they approach the music like a philharmonic orchestra approaches classical music.
Thanks.

Until it kicked in that "The White Album" (and likely anything in their repertoire if I get their mission correctly) has never before been played live with such fidelity to the sole recorded version that previously endured more than a half-century and formed an indelibly etched & singular prior sound profile, I let the visuals share the space as an unattended background while I worked on rainy day stuff.

Wherever I heard something 'amiss,' I marveled that I'm no more than the persnickety part of a collective memory disturbed from self-affirming splendor that was formed and previously existed only as a completed project that was an elaborately stitched, assembled, and engineered aural collage fashioned as a product available for access by multiple means during the months after "Rubber Soul" and before "Revolver," which was when the band retired from touring and related live performance.

The lack of overlap makes it special, and makes a case for considering The Analogues as alt-cover Beatles, and correspondingly valuing them along with Mingus Dynasty Band and Zappa Plays Zappa, in addition to the earlier-discussed GD long-tail efforts, and cosplay recreations.

Reaction Score
The only missed opportunity I can think of when I had free tickets to see The Books in NYC.

My friend wanted to score weed and because of that we were late to the show. At that point the venue let other people sit at our seats, so we missed the show completely. They broke up soon after so never got to see them live.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
The only missed opportunity I can think of when I had free tickets to see The Books in NYC.

My friend wanted to score weed and because of that we were late to the show. At that point the venue let other people sit at our seats, so we missed the show completely. They broke up soon after so never got to see them live.
Smh everyones got that one friend.

Reaction Score
Wherever I heard something 'amiss,' I marveled that I'm no more than the persnickety part of a collective memory disturbed from self-affirming splendor that was formed and previously existed only as a completed project that was an elaborately stitched, assembled, and engineered aural collage fashioned as a product available for access by multiple means during the months after "Rubber Soul" and before "Revolver," which was when the band retired from touring and related live performance.

I enjoy watching people do cool things with words as well as basketballs. Sometimes a great shot goes in all net, sometimes it rattles in after an improbable bounce - all fun to watch.

Have to admit I'm struggling to see all net here: "the collective memory" (so far - so good) "had a self affirming splendor" (was it the collective memory, or the Beatles themselves creating the album that was self affirming?) I mean how can a collective memory have a self affirming anything?

Thoroughly enjoyed the wordplay, so not knocking your post in the least - just opining that I think we're looking at the cool bounce.

Well done.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I enjoy watching people do cool things with words as well as basketballs. Sometimes a great shot goes in all net, sometimes it rattles in after an improbable bounce - all fun to watch.

Have to admit I'm struggling to see all net here: "the collective memory" (so far - so good) "had a self affirming splendor" (was it the collective memory, or the Beatles themselves creating the album that was self affirming?) I mean how can a collective memory have a self affirming anything?

Thoroughly enjoyed the wordplay, so not knocking your post in the least - just opining that I think we're looking at the cool bounce.

Well done.
He lost me at "cosplay recreations". Sorry, have never heard one of those that even comes close as those are typically "form before function".

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I missed Beethoven at the Theater an der Wien in Vienna by 210 years.

Reaction Score

Well done.
Pot is really strong these days.

Reaction Score
Pot is really strong these days.
You definitely hit the rim but the bounce didn’t go your way.

Was a Chilean Cabernet - 2018 Santa Ema from the Maipo Valley. 91 points Wine Spectator and a “Best Buy” at $11.99.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Lived in Manhattan from '84 thru '92 and did not ever check out the Allman Bros down at the Fillmore East....THAT was a really bad miss.
By the late 1980's they has already started their annual Beacon residency. I moved to Manhattan in 1986 and dont believe the Fillmore existed anymore.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dion as a solo act which friends of mine saw at Mohegan Sun a few years ago. They did not let me know about it until after they saw it, and told me how good Dion sung acapella.

Some friends!

I think he is retired and no longer performing. He is at least 80.

I did see Del Shannon at Milford Jai Alai maybe 30 years ago or more. Now dead, but was a great performer.

Sorry most of you probably derivatively heard of these singers through you parents or maybe not , because not everybody even then liked the 50's and 60's stuff.

I saw the Beachboys at Oakdale a few years ago and they were not nearly as good as they were with the original performers. I think some of the Wilson and Love family still perform with the group today. I glanced at a YouTube for a show they did at Dallas this year. Not bad, but not as good as they sounded in the 1960's.

Yes, there is YouTube to catch a lot of these performers in their heyday, and unfortunately to catch those today who should have stopped performing a long time ago.

Got to know when to let go.
FYI. Dion is far from retired. He is am award winning blues artist-Dion - "Blues Comin' On" with Joe Bonamassa - Official Music Video - YouTube

Dion - "What If I Told You" with Samantha Fish - Official Music Video - YouTube

Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing this. I really appreciate it.

Dion still sounds good. He does well in this genre too.
Yeah, he as a few CD's. Look him up on Youtube....tank full of blues and Son of Skip James also.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
@mussels
This probably won't help because it realies on an obscure reference, but it should have read "...the persnickety part of a collective memory disturbed from its self-affirmation..."

I think wwas jazz critic Francis Davis (or possibly Martin Williams) who wrote an essay that distinguished the musical breakthrough of Ornette Coleman in the late 1950s as throwing off the shackles of the audience's expectation to be delighted and refusing io meet the need for satisfying resolutions within well-worn traditions in order to validate the music's excellence in terms of its ability to meet such a requirement, even by novel means.

Instead, the composer or musicians insisted the listeners to follow them rather than the other way around.

This sometimes included aggressively challenging the listener to go into and through unfamiliar, unattractive, and/or difficult sound structures. It was a demand that the music be experienced as artistic expression rather than eentertainment. It also meant that the music was often ignored or provoked angry criticism.

It's awkward to write this because I'm hardly an across-the-board Coleman fan, have found Cecil Taylor's density often impenetrable, and often can't give rationale for wwhy another artist's shrieking cacophony (by most folks' tastes) absorbs & elates me.

For the purposes of my ccomment on "The White Album" the 'self-affirmation' lens serves as a silly trap, and I was poking fun at myself (or others) for where I'd think, "Well, he didn't hit that note so that his singing sounded precisely like Paul," or, "The guitar solo on 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' wasn't 100% accurate to the 1968 original, so it wasn't good enough and didn't make me happy." Such 'complaints' could only be so clearly exposed in the case of only one reference point ever.

Again, I doubt this makes it clearer to anyone but myself. I'm tapping these thoughts out pretty much live on my pphon.. rough drafts to divert my attention and hope that Karaban commits the next time I look for on-topic material in this fforu (no, I don't that's happening tonight).

Regarding the "cosplay" reference, @storrsroars, that was simply another way to described examples llikePhish playing make believe and performing another band's album, such as Little Feat's "Waiting for Columbus as was mentioned in one post. I might aactually even have a bad cassette copy of a Phish doing "The White Album" on a Halloween or NYE, come to think of it.

They aren't exactly "missed opportunities" but Rockpile would be way high on a list of bands I wish I'd seen as a match for when that would have been and my age & such at the time. Also, I haven't ever seen Aimee Mann, for no good reason when compared with how much I like the best of her.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
By the late 1980's they has already started their annual Beacon residency. I moved to Manhattan in 1986 and dont believe the Fillmore existed anymore.
Thanks for the correction....

Reaction Score
I saw them a couple of times but the one that I regret not being able to see again is Rush. Can't see them doing a major tour without The Professor.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom