OT: - Missed Concert Opportunities | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Missed Concert Opportunities

Reaction Score
I like to give my wife a hard time about missing Tom Petty. We planned a trip in May/Jun '17 to Italy because my wife had never been and I was upset because I was planning on getting tickets to see tom petty at red rocks. She said she'd pay for my tickets to see him wherever I wanted after that... obviously that did not work out too well

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I was WAY late figuring out I liked Mazzy Star. They had a 15 year or so hiatus, had a reunion and put out an album and went on tour. Passed thru Seattle. All right before they were on my radar. I was out of town for a while at the time as well. Think it was the last time they came thru town. No more albums after that, and the guitarist died a few years later. Hope Sandoval is probably still making music but I don't think there will ever be Mazzy again.

Reaction Score
I was only fifteen at the time but my older brother was going to Watkins Glen in1972 but my parents wouldn't let me go. I did see the Allmans a few years later but never did catch the Dead or The Band
Watkins Glen was in '73

Reaction Score
One that always bothers me is Simon & Garfunkel when they toured in the early 2000s if I recall correctly. We were on vacation out of the country when they came through my area. Aside from that, it’s mostly not seeing “whole” or original lineups, but most of that is due to being just a bit too young.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Wow! Hans can not agree with you on the ones you could care less on. Zeppelin, Bowie and Queen, Floyd I can somewhat understand. Let me tell you I was not a fan of Queen back in the day a friend who was a huge Queen fan said you have to see them live. So I did, opening for them was Billy Squire at New Haven Coliseum. Well I've been to many of concerts including The Who, U2, Gun's and Roses, AC/DC, too many to name. You definitely missed out on a true legendary band with one of the most charismatic front man you will ever see Mr. Freddie Mercury, he commanded the stage like no other. They go down as the BEST band that I have ever seen live. Oh! and Bowie the most classiest act and polished performer in our time and as for Zeppelin well, they speak for them selves. you and I missed out on them how unfortunate or maybe not for you.

Bands/acts with lost opportunity:

Led Zeppelin
REM
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Roy Orbison

I'm sure there are others I'm missing.

The band I miss the most now = Allman Brothers Band & Gregg Allman by far. Would see them almost every time they toured.
I really like your post a lot, especially how you began by telling me how much you can't agree with those for whom I didn't care that I hadn't seen them. I'm really glad you didn't criticize me based on an incorrect guess that had I intended any disrespect, or drawn a false conclusion as to my final judgment on the band. I simply wanted to name the biggest artists (within a certain space & time frame) who I haven't seen.

Because the name has been brought up in this thread, I'll now add Elton John because I think he occupies similar stature, and I never had the interest to see him either...except, yikes, for thinking maybe I truly once did see him in Rochester while I was halfway though writing that sentence. Now I have to look it up: '75? '76? "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" Wow, that'd be something.

EDIT: NOPE, unless fall 1972 at Rochester War Memorial. Doubtful, though I still kind of liked him at that point.

I have long stories (not here) that would or could 'explain' each of my listed 4.

Queen is the only one I've never listened to, and only know their giant songs that have been appropriated as sports anthems. I saw "Bohemian Rhapsody a couple months ago when it was my host's child's movie choice that night. It called to mind my willingness to give Led Zeppelin a fair hearing 3 years ago, after a half-century claiming I only liked half of the first album and three songs from the 4th ("Stairway..." not being one of them).

After I'd made a stray, dismissive comment about LZ at a dinner party one night, the host said he'd had edited an essay anthology with a different writer assigned to critically discuss each of the band's studio albums, and told me I should read it. I ended up committing to the book & full discography. With a few substituted live & alternate takes inserted, I emerged with a 140 minute playlist named "Led Zeppelin: What the Fuss?," and I've very much enjoyed it every time I've played it.

Does something similar await me regarding Queen? The idea taunts me.

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Queen? 'they' say (it is said?) that this is the greatest performance ever. mebbe 'they're' right.

Reaction Score
Fleetwood Mac when they were all together and young.

Reaction Score
Wow! Hans can not agree with you on the ones you could care less on. Zeppelin, Bowie and Queen, Floyd I can somewhat understand. Let me tell you I was not a fan of Queen back in the day a friend who was a huge Queen fan said you have to see them live. So I did, opening for them was Billy Squire at New Haven Coliseum. Well I've been to many of concerts including The Who, U2, Gun's and Roses, AC/DC, too many to name. You definitely missed out on a true legendary band with one of the most charismatic front man you will ever see Mr. Freddie Mercury, he commanded the stage like no other. They go down as the BEST band that I have ever seen live. Oh! and Bowie the most classiest act and polished performer in our time and as for Zeppelin well, they speak for them selves. you and I missed out on them how unfortunate or maybe not for you.

Bands/acts with lost opportunity:

Led Zeppelin
REM
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Roy Orbison

I'm sure there are others I'm missing.

The band I miss the most now = Allman Brothers Band & Gregg Allman by far. Would see them almost every time they toured.
Hello. Correct me if my memory had faded, but do I remember Garcia and Bob Weir coming down from Hartford where the Dead had a gig, to the Bronx and Gaelic park to play a 45 minute "Mountain Jam" with Dickey Betts, post Duane, but Berry Oakley was still with them in summer of '72. And next year in Summer of '73 again saw the Allmans at Dillon Stadium. (only saw The Who & Jefferson Airplane, on the early Sunday morning at Woodstock, August 17,1969, the same day the Super Bowl winning Jets played the Giants 1st time ever at the packed Yale Bowl before 70,874 fans)
Saw The Dead and Eagles together at Willie Nelson's 4th of July Picnic at a broiling Arrowhead Stadium in K,C. 1981 But lost my ticket to The Moody Blues in 1981 in K.C. because of "too much fun" at a Pre concert party.

Reaction Score
I really like your post a lot, especially how you began by telling me how much you can't agree with those for whom I didn't care that I hadn't seen them. I'm really glad you didn't criticize me based on an incorrect guess that had I intended any disrespect, or drawn a false conclusion as to my final judgment on the band. I simply wanted to name the biggest artists (within a certain space & time frame) who I haven't seen.

Because the name has been brought up in this thread, I'll now add Elton John because I think he occupies similar stature, and I never had the interest to see him either...except, yikes, for thinking maybe I truly once did see him in Rochester while I was halfway though writing that sentence. Now I have to look it up: '75? '76? "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" Wow, that'd be something.

EDIT: NOPE, unless fall 1972 at Rochester War Memorial. Doubtful, though I still kind of liked him at that point.

I have long stories (not here) that would or could 'explain' each of my listed 4.

Queen is the only one I've never listened to, and only know their giant songs that have been appropriated as sports anthems. I saw "Bohemian Rhapsody a couple months ago when it was my host's child's movie choice that night. It called to mind my willingness to give Led Zeppelin a fair hearing 3 years ago, after a half-century claiming I only liked half of the first album and three songs from the 4th ("Stairway..." not being one of them).

After I'd made a stray, dismissive comment about LZ at a dinner party one night, the host said he'd had edited an essay anthology with a different writer assigned to critically discuss each of the band's studio albums, and told me I should read it. I ended up committing to the book & full discography. With a few substituted live & alternate takes inserted, I emerged with a 140 minute playlist named "Led Zeppelin: What the Fuss?," and I've very much enjoyed it every time I've played it.

Very well sir! It was a pleasure sparing with you. Lol. I am sure there will be many more.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Yes. Your musical views should probably put you on a list somewhere. But we shall forgive. Because ultimately we like what we like.

Reaction Score
Hello. Correct me if my memory had faded, but do I remember Garcia and Bob Weir coming down from Hartford where the Dead had a gig, to the Bronx and Gaelic park to play a 45 minute "Mountain Jam" with Dickey Betts, post Duane, but Berry Oakley was still with them in summer of '72. And next year in Summer of '73 again saw the Allmans at Dillon Stadium. (only saw The Who & Jefferson Airplane, on the early Sunday morning at Woodstock, August 17,1969, the same day the Super Bowl winning Jets played the Giants 1st time ever at the packed Yale Bowl before 70,874 fans)
Saw The Dead and Eagles together at Willie Nelson's 4th of July Picnic at a broiling Arrowhead Stadium in K,C. 1981 But lost my ticket to The Moody Blues in 1981 in K.C. because of "too much fun" at a Pre concert party.
Not sure why you quoted me on this. But answer to your question regarding Garcia and Bob Weir "Mountain Jam". No clue!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Post/handle,
(kinder/gentler version)

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Very well sir! It was a pleasure sparing with you. Lol. I am sure there will be many more.
Nothing felt like sparring.

I've heard & loved post-Ziggy live Bowie, but I don't recall listening to "Hunky Dory" til '74, so it doesn't bother me that I missed something that I wouldn't have gotten. Similarly, I probably would have liked a "Wish You Were Here" era Floyd show the most.

Very glad I saw Prince, but I really wish I'd have seen him in any or all of the 3 prior decades. Same probably applies to Madonna. And what comes to mind as a last thought would be a peak Rundgren show. I'd have a friend who sang backup for him to tell mwhen that would have been.

Of course, at this point I mostly grateful for the diversion this thread provided, so that I didn't read about Clingan until after 10pm.

Reaction Score
Gary Moore. I did not realize the genius i was missing.
Thank you! Have not listened to him in a while and forgot about him. In my post prior I did say "I'm sure there are others I'm missing". Wish I had seen him live.

Reaction Score
Queen? 'they' say (it is said?) that this is the greatest performance ever. mebbe 'they're' right.

That is what catapulted them from smaller concert venues to stadium shows only. They still sell out even with Adam Lambert.

Reaction Score
Iron Maiden

AFAIK they are still touring and plan to tour in 2022. Saw them summer 2019 at XFinity and they rocked just as hard as when I first saw them in the 80s in high school. Amazing performers/musicians. You still have a chance to see them!

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
The Stones are a big one for me. I’m 36, so their glory days were too early and I’ve never been able to catch their later tours. In ‘15 their show in Pittsburgh lined up with a yearly baseball trip that I do with my friends so instead of the Stones, I got to see Jose Tabata lean in and ruin Scherzer’s perfect game. My father in law scored us field seats for the tour that was supposed to go off last summer, but obviously that didn’t happen so I doubt I’ll ever get a chance to see them even in their current state.

Another one for me is Aerosmith. I caught the bloated, corporate version once in HS, but I’d have loved to have seen them at their decadent height in the 70s/80s.

Reaction Score
For me, it’s 100% Nirvana.

Had a chance to see them in winter 1993 when I was doing my residency in Buffalo. They came to SUNY Buffalo for a Friday show. I had to staff the next day at 5am so I passed…figured I’d just “see them the next time they toured through New England.”

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
In ‘15 their show in Pittsburgh lined up with a yearly baseball trip that I do with my friends so instead of the Stones, I got to see Jose Tabata lean in and ruin Scherzer’s perfect game.
So in the end, were you sad you didn't witness a perfecto in person, or happy Necklips had the audacity to lean into one and spoil it.

Reaction Score
For me, it’s 100% Nirvana.

Had a chance to see them in winter 1993 when I was doing my residency in Buffalo. They came to SUNY Buffalo for a Friday show. I had to staff the next day at 5am so I passed…figured I’d just “see them the next time they toured through New England.”
That’s the other one I should have mentioned. I was young when they would have toured around here, but I was a fan of them at 10 or 11. I don’t remember any specific show I missed or anything. I just wish I could have seen them when they were around.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
Iron Maiden

They’re still amazing. If/when they come around again, I can’t recommend them enough. “Fear of the Dark” live is worth the price of admission

So in the end, were you sad you didn't witness a perfecto in person, or happy Necklips had the audacity to lean into one and spoil it.

Miserable. We went the year before to DC as well for my bachelor party and, in two trips, we saw 4 games, zero Pirate wins, and the indignity of being no hit. I have since vowed never to set foot in that stadium ever again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom