Mir | The Boneyard

Mir

Reaction Score
I noticed Mir never entered the game after playing in the first half. Anybody hear if their was an issue? She scored five points in her limited playing time in the 1st half and I didn't notice anything happing that would limit her playing time. This girl can jump and would give Gabby a rebounding challenge.

GG

Reaction Score
I noticed Mir never entered the game after playing in the first half. Anybody hear if their was an issue? She scored five points in her limited playing time in the 1st half and I didn't notice anything happing that would limit her playing time. This girl can jump and would give Gabby a rebounding challenge.
I do not know, but I love her game.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
DEpup wrote: "It looked like Mir got benched. She showed a lot of frustration with some fouls and the body language went bad so she went to the bench and never returned. Teaching moment."

I did notice that Mir didn't like at least one call.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Tonight, Mir had 5 points and 2 rebounds on 2-for-2 shooting (and 1-1 from the line) in just 4 minutes!!

I don't think her lack of minutes in the second half has any deep explanation. The third quarter went very well with the players that were in the game, so I don't think Geno wanted to change it up too much. By the fourth quarter, it was more important to get a few minutes for both Piath and Autumn than to get Mir back in the game.

Mir does have great athletic skills. I think she is a lot stronger than Aubrey, although not as good a perimeter defender. But both of them have to learn the system before they can expect to get really major minutes.

Reaction Score
I hope Geno gives Mir & Aubrey some of Evina's minutes. They are much more athletic & faster on both ends. I dont like the Paige, Evina, Anna backcourt. Too slow & it showed in the 1st half. Hopefully, Evina can get her step back after her long layoff from serious injury. She's not there yet.

Reaction Score
I hope Geno gives Mir & Aubrey some of Evina's minutes. They are much more athletic & faster on both ends. I dont like the Paige, Evina, Anna backcourt. Too slow & it showed in the 1st half. Hopefully, Evina can get her step back after her long layoff from serious injury. She's not there yet.
Anna is playing the four, but she had seven assists tonight. Also, Evina was outstanding defensively in the second half when the went to a zone, at least IMHO.

Reaction Score

The biggest problem Geno will have is getting enough minutes for everyone.... Practically every single player is good which is very unusual.....Usually he only has 6 maybe 7 players at the most who can contribute...

I would like to see Griffin getting more playing time... Personally I thought she would be starting.... I know some of you (not me) had this discussion last year about CW starting....

Griffin is too good/athletic to be coming in so late.. Of course it's only the second game....

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I didn’t notice that. I thought it was fairly decent, honestly.
The only call that I thought was really bad was Olivia's first foul. She was moving around her defender in the post, and of course her elbow touched the defender because there was no place else it could have gone. She didn't shove it into the defender or attempt to move the defender with her arm. I've seen that play permitted many times as a valid offensive post move. She lost a field goal on that call, as well as getting a foul.

Reaction Score
The only call that I thought was really bad was Olivia's first foul. She was moving around her defender in the post, and of course her elbow touched the defender because there was no place else it could have gone. She didn't shove it into the defender or attempt to move the defender with her arm. I've seen that play permitted many times as a valid offensive post move. She lost a field goal on that call, as well as getting a foul.
She uses that elbow jab every time... surprised it isn’t called more often. I wish she’d learn a jump hook.

Reaction Score
Tonight, Mir had 5 points and 2 rebounds on 2-for-2 shooting (and 1-1 from the line) in just 4 minutes!!

I don't think her lack of minutes in the second half has any deep explanation. The third quarter went very well with the players that were in the game, so I don't think Geno wanted to change it up too much. By the fourth quarter, it was more important to get a few minutes for both Piath and Autumn than to get Mir back in the game.

Mir does have great athletic skills. I think she is a lot stronger than Aubrey, although not as good a perimeter defender. But both of them have to learn the system before they can expect to get really major minutes.
You’re right, they have to learn the system. McLean didn’t know where to go on a simple in bounds play and Griffin is still running around in circles.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In his post game presser in the game thread, Geno explained that after Mir started out strong and aggressive, she disappeared into her own little world. This seems to be an issue and I think Geno is finally putting his foot down and delivering some harsh lessons. Geno said he guarantees that will not happen in practice tomorrow. The contrast between the way Geno describes Mir and Aaliyah is very interesting with Aaliyah getting praised at all levels from her incredible work ethic and intensity as well as picking things up fast. He said she will find more time on the floor.

Reaction Score
The biggest problem Geno will have is getting enough minutes for everyone.... Practically every single player is good which is very unusual.....Usually he only has 6 maybe 7 players at the most who can contribute...

I would like to see Griffin getting more playing time... Personally I thought she would be starting.... I know some of you (not me) had this discussion last year about CW starting....

Griffin is too good/athletic to be coming in so late.. Of course it's only the second game....
She still can't run an offense or show she has any offense like an outside shot.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I thought the refereeing was awful. Really, really awful.
On the offensive foul call on Liv, Elmore had her arm across Liv's shoulders at least twice, then bumped her on the shot. That was a horrendous call.

On Autumn's travel, I looked at it 4 times. She was standing there and had not chosen a pivot foot. She took one step, dribbled, repositioned, and shot. I think the play was totally legit.

Reaction Score
I didn’t notice that. I thought it was fairly decent, honestly.

Well we can agree to disagree. For UCONN here are a few -- the main issue being the refs affected the flow of the game by forcing a certain style of play all-the-while focused on granting miniscule fouls and missing more blatant/obvious ones.

1st Qtr- Two players reached down on Liv in the paint- one or both fouled her -but she got called for an O-Foul.
1st qtr-- 6:23 Pert-Lane drives left - off-balance takes a sideways runner - happens to dip her should into Paige and flys to the ground as if she got clobbered. The wind could probably clobber her. Anyway, not a foul. She's just so small. Taking a sideways jump shot off-balance dipping your shoulder - you should not get rewarded.

2nd Qtr-- 8:59 freeze the video. Paige going up for a layup - shot is contested by the the center- - Paige goes to the ground-- how is there not any body contact? She just fell on her own? When Pert falls there's usually a foul. Yet a 6 foot guard falls and nothing? Maybe -- but -- anyhow, -- see how that center is contesting that shot then immediately Paige falls down. Granted this one is "iffy" but extremely, extremely doubtful that there was no contact. It's not like that center was some gifted athlete able to control her body as she is reaching across her shoulder with her right hand trying to block Paige's shot. Paige is right handed too- so she has to reach across her won body and across half of Paige's body while avoiding Edwards.
2nd qtr-- 7:49 - UCONN up 29-15 Pert drives the lane- leans/leaps a bit of her body into Paige-- the ref didn't even immediately make the call - a delayed call -- for a reason it was delayed- the contact so miniscule. The contact there was so little - Pert is throwing the ball almost over her shoulder just trying to get a call. With all the miniscule contact that was a play-on.
2nd qtr- - about 1 minute left -- If the play above was not a play-on but a legit foul - then how was the play I mentioned above in 1st qtr with Liv- in which two players reaching in- not a foul on either of them? To further this point-- how is it when CWilliams caught the pass with 1 minute left- in the lane - two players imo fouled her- announcers even said so-- obvious foul-- how was that not a foul? :)

3rd qtr-- To further this point - pick-and-roll- Paige passes to Liv. Seton Hall player swipes down and hits Liv on the elbow-- no call. You can see on the replay at the 7:00 - 7:05 mark in which Meg is talking about the success of the play-- she is highlighting it- but you can clearly see the player hitting/swiping down on Liv on the elbow as Liv goes up. It's why Liv ended up "clutching" before she scored.
3rd qtr-- 6:19 mark Pert draws 3rd foul on Paige as she does an off-balance runner in the lane. Where's the contact? :) :) This kid Pert- she gets inside - she is so small and she takes these off-balance shots of course she is going to hit the ground. The wind from the other players might send her sprawling to the ground- she is so small! :) I'm just having fun- of course with this comment. But imo THREE fouls like that on Paige didn't belong in a high class division 1 basketball game. I love the kid Pert's heart but those were miniscule touches. You call like that then you got to call the other side that type of tight too.

In summary what happened here was that UCONN was forced to go into a zone after that. Because for the most part if Pert got into the lane UCONN had to keep a certain distance from her for fear she'd get a call for an exaggerated, miniscule contact that should be play-on. You keep away from her then she can get off her inside floaters more easily. These refs affected the game in a manner that shouldn't have been.

If the exaggerated contact was to be expected, then why no call for Liv when she got hit in 1st qtr? In 2nd qtr why no call for Williams with about 1 minute left? Why no call for Liv in 3rd qtr on the pick-n-roll? I was previously taught back in the 1800's when I played- that when you reach in, especially come down on another player, you are going to get called. -- It obvious. Just like the refs made the call on CWilliams with about 4:20 left in the 3rd. The reach in was obvious.

So they picked up the reach in from CWill even though it didn't affect the play much- but okay it was a foul- yet they missed the obvious ones I just explained? In fact-- all three imo were more fouls than any of Perts fouls she put on Paige as she hit the ground. Yet to further that point -- the 6 foot Paige goes down to the ground as I mentioned above on her own with no foul? Ohh and by the way, that same center who probably fouled Paige - a few seconds later that same center -- doesn't even make a competent defensive basketball move - and dips her shoulder into Liv and commits a foul. :)

Anyways UCONN won- I'm happy. I never thought game in doubt so it's easy not to get worked up-- it's just that I disagree- I think the refs were pathetic. They forced UCONN's hand by granting miniscule contact at one end - and not near as much on the other.

Reaction Score

+1
But whenever McClean has played in the 1st 2 games she has been productive and disruptive.

Reaction Score
I hope they get sone Og muhl minutes she does nothing but turn the ball. If Anna not going to shoot and hit threes then she also can fit more. We have enough playmaking players she shouldn’t be one rather her spot up and have the ball thrown to her. Evina missed a lot of easy buckets tonight

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I'm going to agree here. Mir battles in the post. Would love to see her get more minutes. Even playing the 3 if possible. So far in two games only Paige has impressed in the back court. I doubt if Geno goes with 9 players continuously this season. And, what happens next year when we reload again?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom