Mir McLean, Live and In Person | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Mir McLean, Live and In Person

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In case you missed it in the Autumn thread, here's what Autumn's father had to say about Mir:

“Mir’s team beat the stuffing out of us,” Tehmi Chassion said. “Not the stuffing but they ended up winning by 20 points. We were down two starters and we’re playing our hardest in New Orleans and Mir’s team is slowly pulling away. Mir’s in the air for a rebound literally for 5-6 seconds. She’s floating. The girl gets up and she’s grabbing the ball at the rim and she’s floating in the air.”

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Not just way above the basket. My memory could be playing tricks on me, but I believe he once jumped high enough to snatch a quarter that had been placed on the top of the background.
I think the quarter story belongs to a Rucker legend:
Herman “Helicopter” Knowlings - Ben Franklin (Harlem, NY)

Knowlings, is known for his leaping ability, and legend has it that at rucker he once blocked three NBA players shots in one possession. Bernard King, former all star for the New York Knicks once said, "When I was in 9th grade, I saw the Helicopter, with my own two eyes, pick a quarter off the top of the backboard to win a bet, and I was in complete shock," Knowlings never played professional basketball and was killed in a car accident at the age of 37.

He was famous in street ball when I was growing up.

Reaction Score
In case you missed it in the Autumn thread, here's what Autumn's father had to say about Mir:

“Mir’s team beat the stuffing out of us,” Tehmi Chassion said. “Not the stuffing but they ended up winning by 20 points. We were down two starters and we’re playing our hardest in New Orleans and Mir’s team is slowly pulling away. Mir’s in the air for a rebound literally for 5-6 seconds. She’s floating. The girl gets up and she’s grabbing the ball at the rim and she’s floating in the air.”
Mr. Chassion was hallucinating and then he confused the rim with the bottom of the net. ;)

Reaction Score
I think the quarter story belongs to a Rucker legend:
Herman “Helicopter” Knowlings - Ben Franklin (Harlem, NY)

I thought that the Harlem legend who took a quarter off the top of the backboard was Earl “the goat” Manigault? He told the story himself, that it was him that did it after witnessing A player named Jackson do it. For those that don’t know the goat, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar said he was the greatest player he ever played against.

From an interview with The Goat. "Manigault said, “I saw Jackie Jackson (who played for the Harlem Globetrotters) pick quarters off the top of the backboard. I did it the next day. After I saw Jackie do it, I had to do it. I couldn’t sleep thinking about it.”

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I thought that the Harlem legend who took a quarter off the top of the backboard was Earl “the goat” Manigault? He told the story himself, that it was him that did it after witnessing A player named Jackson do it. For those that don’t know the goat, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar said he was the greatest player he ever played against.
I read where both the Goat and the Helicopter did it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Edwards and Brady will also give opposing coaches something to think about. They’re going to give the opposition nightmares. Starting season, Geno can put 5 players on the floor that can shoot, will play with a sense of urgency, and won’t take plays off.

Aubrey will come off the bench again as 6th man bringing energy, and making plays as soon as she hits the floor. But now she’ll know what she’s doing out there, and won’t be so quick to defer to upper classmen on offense.

At the risk of embarassing myself, who is Brady?

Reaction Score
1597069687149.jpeg

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

(I hope you guys aren't tired of this yet, but I'm not even close to being tired of posting it.)

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
both guys are listed as Rucker Legends but the Goat section doesn't mention that story;

Reaction Score

Jumping Jackie Jackson. Manigault told the producers of his movie Rebound it wasn’t him that it was Jackson, but they liked the story so I think they had it in the movie that it was him.

Reaction Score
Let's take a step back here for a moment. Manigault was perhaps 6'1". His vertical reach, while standing, would be around 8'.
The top of the backboard is 13' high. That means he would need a 5' or 60" vertical jump to touch the top of the backboard !!. It's difficult to get a verified vertical above 50".
Unfortunately, Earl didn't touch the top of the backboard.
For reference:

And, from one of the top dunkers,
go to the 2 minute mark.
50 INCH VERTICAL!?! Jordan Kilganon INSANE First Day At DUNK CAMP! Raw Footage

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Who is putting the quarters on top of the backboards? Next we’ll be hearing about somebody taking a quarter and leaving change. I’m checking Snopes.

Reaction Score
Let's take a step back here for a moment. Manigault was perhaps 6'1". His vertical reach, while standing, would be around 8'.
The top of the backboard is 13' high. That means he would need a 5' or 60" vertical jump to touch the top of the backboard !!. It's difficult to get a verified vertical above 50".
Unfortunately, Earl didn't touch the top of the backboard.
For reference:

And, from one of the top dunkers,
go to the 2 minute mark.
50 INCH VERTICAL!?! Jordan Kilganon INSANE First Day At DUNK CAMP! Raw Footage

Googleing highest vertical jump reveals a guy in Canada had a 63.5" jump. In the NBA Wilt Chamberlain and Darryl Griffith had 48" jumps. A number of others were recorded at 46", including Spud Webb, but MJ not on top ten list.

Grabbing a quarter from the top of the backboard would be possible but only by a precious few.

I don't know that there are records on hang time. Gravity rules; jump higher and stay in the air longer. I suppose that if you flex the knees while in the air the time until the feet hit the ground would be slightly delayed.

Reaction Score
The first article that comes up in Google is from olympic.ca and lists Jordan at 46 inches.

Reaction Score
Googleing highest vertical jump reveals a guy in Canada had a 63.5" jump. In the NBA Wilt Chamberlain and Darryl Griffith had 48" jumps. A number of others were recorded at 46", including Spud Webb, but MJ not on top ten list.

Grabbing a quarter from the top of the backboard would be possible but only by a precious few.

I don't know that there are records on hang time. Gravity rules; jump higher and stay in the air longer. I suppose that if you flex the knees while in the air the time until the feet hit the ground would be slightly delayed.
Though the over 60 " jumps that you googled were called vertical jumps, they were really quite a different type of jump, than the one's used in the videos I posted
(And what is generally referred to as a vertical jump in basketball)
They were either box jumps (where you jump on top of an adjacent object) or they jumped over a horizontal bar. In either case the jumper tucked his legs under his body in order to clear the attempted height. While impressive, none of those jumps would have translated into being able to touch the top of the backboard.

Reaction Score
It is such a shame that so many of the greatest ballers of all time never received the recognition, let alone the financial support, they deserved.

Reaction Score
It is such a shame that so many of the greatest ballers of all time never received the recognition, let alone the financial support, they deserved.

Still happening to this day, you could go to any big correctional facility and find guys that would be in the NBA in they could stay out of legal trouble. Really sad to see talent wasted!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom