Mid-majors to watch | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Mid-majors to watch

Reaction Score
Good question. If the tournament were today, anything higher than 7 would be idiotic. IF they win out, they'll be probably a 4 or 5, however, I'd imagine they'll lose one game, especially if they play Belmont twice between the regular season and the OVC tournament.

Murray State is a very unique mid-major team as in they profile as the type of team that does well in tournaments:

• old (top two players are seniors),
  • comfortable playing slow (219th in overall pace)
  • and they have a cold-blooded legit three-level bucket-getter who can get to the line (Tevin Brown).

Most good mid-majors tend to lean heavily towards one style which creates a detriment on something else. For example, the Wofford team you mentioned was an insanely strong three-point shooting team, but their interior defense was bad (197th in nation).

However, if you look at Murray State's metrics, they are an incredibly balanced team with their only weakness being ft%:

View attachment 73437

When you compare their metrics to a similarly ranked high-major team, like Michigan State, you see way more imbalance: in their case, awful turnover ratio and bad interior offense:

View attachment 73438

On that note, Murray State on paper looks like a team that can go very far. I do agree that, as you mentioned @BLUEDOGHOUSE, I'd like to see Jordan Skipper-Brown play a few games before the tournament because without him, their depth is basically just three players. Star big KJ Williams is holding it down, but South Carolina transfer Trae Hannibal has been their backup 4 w/ JSB out and at 6'2 220 that's not the size I want at the 4 (even though Hannibal is a really fun player to watch. He reminds me a bit of Dylan Addae-Wusu). He's better off as wing depth and he's a capable backup point guard.

Big game Thursday with Belmont visiting Murray State. 9 PM on ESPNU. Would love for both teams to make the tournament so Belmont winning that game increases the odds of that.
Fantastic post. Appreciate all the data and effort especially the comparison to Michigan State in your analysis. I would also love to see both Belmont and Murray get in. Your love of the game (especially on the MM side) is appreciated.

Best
BDH

Reaction Score
Mid-majors w/ the least amount of wins and their respective KenPom rating:
  • Murray State, 26-2, #29
  • Wagner, 19-3, #130
  • Colorado State, 21-4, #39
  • North Texas, 20-4, #40
  • Wyoming, 22-4, #48
  • Davidson, 22-4, #55
  • South Dakota State, 25-4, #69
  • New Mexico State, 23-4, #81
  • Vermont, 22-5, #62
  • Belmont, 24-5, #63
  • Iona, 22-5, #82
  • Ohio, 22-5, #108
  • Princeton, 19-5, #112

Reaction Score
Brought my 7/8th grade boys’ team to the St. Francis (PA) @ Sacred Heart game yesterday afternoon.

Very fun game: it was close for 30 minutes and then Sacred Heart went on a 8-0 run to keep the lead for the rest of the game.

We sat right near the court (almost all seats are GA so great place to catch cheap court level seats) and my kids got to play a pickup game on the court after the game. The team signed posters for all our kids too. Just a fun experience overall: it was most students’ first D1 game and it was easy to tell how pumped (and nervous) they were to get on the court. One kid who lives in Bridgeport, just five minutes away from campus hit a “buzzer three” when the scrimmage ended, his face after that was priceless.

NEC playoffs start Monday with the play-in games and first round games streamable for free on the NEC Front Row website.

After the UConn games today, there’s a Big Sky in-state rivalry on ESPNU at 5 when Montana State visits Montana. Coincidentally, Montana’s point guard, Cameron Parker, used to play for Sacred Heart. There, he broke the D1 record for assists in a game (albeit against a D3 team). Go Griz!!!

Reaction Score
I got to Vermont yesterday afternoon and caught the second half of Vermont’s senior day game against UMass Lowell. While they totally dominated their conference this year, and have good metrics, at least in the performance (as opposed to accomplishment) based programs, to my eye they are not as good as a number of past Vermont teams.

Although, their performance should show Syracuse fans that you can play in Southern Canada and still win games

Reaction Score
I got to Vermont yesterday afternoon and caught the second half of Vermont’s senior day game against UMass Lowell. While they totally dominated their conference this year, and have good metrics, at least in the performance (as opposed to accomplishment) based programs, to my eye they are not as good as a number of past Vermont teams.

Although, their performance should show Syracuse fans that you can play in Southern Canada and still win games
The committee just might do it. UConn vs. Vermont. If UConn plays on the 4 line.

Were there any protestors at the game related to the on campus issues?

Last edited:

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I would take Vermont but prefer it to be a 3/14 matchup.

Reaction Score
The committee just might do it. UConn vs. Vermont. If UConn plays on the 4 line.

Were there any protestors at the game related to the on campus issues?
Sorry -- when I get to Vermont, I'm two hours from UVM. I just turned on the game on the internet.

Reaction Score
VCU vs. St. Bonnies tonight. VCU has climbed up to 52 in the NET. A big win vs. the Bonnies would upgrade win from Q2 to Q1. The Bonnies win is pretty much locked in at Q2 so we're cheering for a big VCU win. Bonnies won the first matchup by 20, so VCU likely looking for revenge. VCU on a 7 game win streak at the moment. VCU favored by 5, so we're looking for a 10+ point win.

Reaction Score
VCU vs. St. Bonnies tonight. VCU has climbed up to 52 in the NET. A big win vs. the Bonnies would upgrade win from Q2 to Q1. The Bonnies win is pretty much locked in at Q2 so we're cheering for a big VCU win. Bonnies won the first matchup by 20, so VCU likely looking for revenge. VCU on a 7 game win streak at the moment. VCU favored by 5, so we're looking for a 10+ point win.
Huge 23 point win for VCU. Should be enough to get them comfortably into NET top 50. Hopefully they can keep it there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom