OT: - Miami | The Boneyard

OT: Miami

Reaction Score
My wife and I were invited by a family we know to stay at their condo in the Coconut Grove neighborhood of Miami. The family of five won't be around, so we've got the condo to ourselves.

Our spring break is late March and we'll book the trip for a Monday-Thursday to not miss the second weekend of March Madness.

It'll be our first time in Miami, so looking for recs. So far, Little Havana, art spot (wife is an artist) and maybe a drive to the Everglades is on our possible list. We're not much of drinkers and don't do coke, so no interest in hitting any clubs, but wouldn't mind a more low key bar. I haven't gotten the full details yet, but I think our condo has a private pool, so beach stuff isn't necessary and I doubt we'll want to see Miami Beach and South Beach.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
My wife and I were invited by a family we know to stay at their condo in the Coconut Grove neighborhood of Miami. The family of five won't be around, so we've got the condo to ourselves.

Our spring break is late March and we'll book the trip for a Monday-Thursday to not miss the second weekend of March Madness.

It'll be our first time in Miami, so looking for recs. So far, Little Havana, art spot (wife is an artist) and maybe a drive to the Everglades is on our possible list. We're not much of drinkers and don't do coke, so no interest in hitting any clubs, but wouldn't mind a more low key bar. I haven't gotten the full details yet, but I think our condo has a private pool, so beach stuff isn't necessary and I doubt we'll want to see Miami Beach and South Beach.
When in Little Havana try some garlic soup at an old-time place like Versailles. Haven't been down there in years, but it's one of my favorite soups and not one I can make at home as it's not the most pleasant cooking aroma for Mrs. Storrsroars.

I don't know if you're into people watching or not, but if so, don't count out spending an hour or two in South Beach in the Lincoln Road Mall area off Collins Ave and grab some lunch somewhere. There's a nice boardwalk behind there that goes down to Lummus Park for a morning walk before it gets too hot. It's actually quite pleasant and you may encounter some unique entertainment. Plus the architecture is interesting. If you've never been to Miami, IMHO, you won't have seen or experienced Miami without at least a brief visit to South Beach.

Reaction Score
South Beach is deco national park. If you've never been, it is a very, very slow drive down Ocean Avenue but worth it, especially at night, when the neon is over the top. You take the MacArthur causeway (very cool as well) which turns into 5th street almost to the end. Take a left onto Ocean and it ends at 15th Street. Take a left and you're done. People watching is great but the deco steals the show.

If you like Cuban food there is a place on the corner of 7th and Collins called Puerto Saqua. It's ugly, overlit, but it's also and authentic, inexpensive and great food.

Enjoy.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

Why don't you do coke? Serious question.

Reaction Score
Why don't you do coke? Serious question.
More of a Pepsi guy.

But serious answer: never was interested (was a weed guy in my HS/College/early 20s), but was totally turned off when I saw people rip lines for the first time at a high school party. In general, I'm more low-key than an "uppers" type of guy...I can't even handle taking a full dose of pseudoephedrine whenever I'm sick.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Should probably be in Food and Travel, but hopefully someone can suggest things.

My only time there was many years ago, but I agree South Beach is just a smorgasbord for the senses. Visual, auditory, tactical, it's over the top in so many ways. Assume you will have a car, as Coconut Grove is pretty far. If you like watersports, you're in a good spot on Biscayne Bay. My understanding is there's a lot of art, including street art, in Wynwood, which is the emerging techie region over the last few years. Wynwood, Miami's Art District Guide

Reaction Score
Vizcaya home and gardens in Coconut Grove. I enjoy the Mediterranean architecture in Coral Gables, drive or walk around the neighborhood. Stop into the Biltmore hotel, the Venetian Pool. Joe's Stone Crab is expensive but a classic. I don't know the names of the Cuban places but find a local spot for the garlic soup mentioned and some ropa vieja and a medianoche sandwich. I don't drink coffee but that's obviously a must at a Cuban cafe. South Beach people watching is a must. Peak your head in at the hotel lobbies and sit outside for a drink and watch everyone who walks and drives by. Wynwood murals.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom