Miami Scouting Report | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Miami Scouting Report

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
That's because they have like 9 fans in total that actually watch college basketball and understand the game. The rest of them are there for the ride and will hop off as soon as they are gone, and they can go back to whatever it is that those people do. They don't even understand why their own team is good and can definitely be a handful for us. We understand that better than them.

Buh Bye Flori-duh
I haven't visited an opponent's message board since ~2008-2009 but I'm tempted to sign onto the Miami board just to say they may not even be the best team south of Boynton Beach.

Reaction Score
I like much better UConn’s chances of stopping Miami’s offense than Miami’s chances of stopping UConn’s offense. We have to limit fouling them and putting them on the line. Don’t bother trying to block a shot, just maintain position as best as possible & block out for rebounds.

Reaction Score
I like much better UConn’s chances of stopping Miami’s offense than Miami’s chances of stopping UConn’s offense. We have to limit fouling them and putting them on the line. Don’t bother trying to block a shot, just maintain position as best as possible & block out for rebounds.
I'd maybe just hedge, that we're almost certainly not going to stop their offense. Even if they can't run exactly what they want, their guards' ability to finish on what are generally viewed as not particularly good looks is dangerous. UConn needs to cut into their efficiency and not give up the easy looks that Texas did.

I think the key is really going to be their ability to defend the 3 point line against UConn. I've watched the UT game and am now halfway through the IU game and Miami's defensive strategy seems to be pack the lane and give up whatever 3 point looks the opponent wants. UT was better at exploiting that, but not to the level they will see from UConn, whereas Indiana passed them up (or didn't see them) and missed a bunch of wide open looks.

Reaction Score
Miami has a lot of 1 on 1 players who take it to the hoop. The biggest problem I see for UConn is where do they hide Karaban on the defensive end of the floor. Overall, this is not a great matchup for UConn.
We kind of already saw this with Arkansas. Council, Black, Devo Davis, and Nick Smith are as talented as Wong, Pack, and Miller. The only difference is the Arkansas guys can't shoot 3's, Miami guys can...however they don't really take that many of them.

I think you put Karaban on that Woopaga guy or whatever his name is. He's their least efficient scorer. Andre will have to be on Miller or Wong.

Reaction Score
I'd maybe just hedge, that we're almost certainly not going to stop their offense. Even if they can't run exactly what they want, their guards' ability to finish on what are generally viewed as not particularly good looks is dangerous. UConn needs to cut into their efficiency and not give up the easy looks that Texas did.

I think the key is really going to be their ability to defend the 3 point line against UConn. I've watched the UT game and am now halfway through the IU game and Miami's defensive strategy seems to be pack the lane and give up whatever 3 point looks the opponent wants. UT was better at exploiting that, but not to the level they will see from UConn, whereas Indiana passed them up (or didn't see them) and missed a bunch of wide open looks.
Pastner said in his podcast with @gwhuskyfan that he felt they had a short bench and if their 5 got into any kind of foul trouble vs Sanogo/Clingan it would be a problem for them.. Does your viewing suggest the same re: the bench??

Reaction Score
Pastner said in his podcast with @gwhuskyfan that he felt they had a short bench and if their 5 got into any kind of foul trouble vs Sanogo/Clingan it would be a problem for them.. Does your viewing suggest the same re: the bench??
Definitely in the front court. I have my doubts about Omier's ability to really stop Sanogo and especially Clingan, who he'll be giving up 7-8 inches to. IU game may be a good blueprint on this one. They were able to get Omier some quick fouls and keep him on the bench, and Jackson-Davis just feasted while he was out. If he's limited to 26 or so minutes (what he played vs. IU), their margin of error becomes razor thin.

I don't think they have huge depth issues at guard for a couple reasons. 1) they do have some talent on the bench, 2) they're super athletic so fatigue doesn't seem to be as big of an issue, and 3) it's a shared point duties offense, so "cutting the head off the snake" isn't quite as damaging as it is for some other teams that run all their offense through one guard.

Reaction Score

CIS is the Gezpatcho/propaganda wing of Miami. Extremely homerish, I can't even deal with them.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Omier is a load, but he’s 7 inches shorter than Clingan. Who on that team can stop a Clingan from going over the top?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
They don't take a ton of 3's usually though, the Houston game was an outlier. They only average 20.4 attempts per game on the season which is 237th in the country. And they like to play relatively fast, so adjusted for pace it's actually even lower in terms of the % of points they get from 3's (28.4% of their points come from 3's despite the high 3P%, which is 259th)
They are very similar to Xavier in this respect. 4 guys who can all shoot the 3 very well, but don't take a ton of 3's because they want to drive the ball and hunt for fouls. Very important for us to play defense with our feet and not our hands, otherwise they will shoot 20 more free throws than us.

Reaction Score
Rewatched UT-UM and put some thoughts in the other thread, but figured my notes from rewatching IU-UM would make more sense here.
  • Game was a really interesting counterpoint to UT as those two opponents are wildly different (especially with Disu out). Texas had some speed but lacked any real size, IU had the size but looked every part the traditional plodding big ten team outside of Jackson-Davis. Nothing complicated about UM's offense, they just went right around the much slower defenders. We will present an interesting challenge as this team is much longer than Texas and much more athletic than IU.
  • Strangely, this game was probably a better blueprint for how both UM and UConn can win this matchup than UT. IU got Omier into quick foul trouble and then Jackson-Davis just went to work and got pretty much whatever he wanted in the post. Even when Omier came back in, they largely had Miller guarding Jackson-Davis (not sure if this was strategic as a help side defender or to avoid more foul trouble). On the other hand, Miami employed a much more balanced attack than against UT. Offense was still based on ISO with their very talented guards, but they were much more committed to establishing the 3 point line as well.
  • This win really came down to two things: IU missed a lot of wide open shots, especially from 3, and just got killed on the boards (combo of Omier being a high-motor menace and IU, especially Jackson-Davis, seemingly being allergic to putting a body on him on the offensive glass). UConn should win the rebounding battle, but someone NEEDS to put a body on Omier. Interestingly, when Omier is out, they basically don't crash the offensive glass at all.
  • On offense, Miami is probably the most talented late shot clock team we've faced this year since 4 guys on the floor have the ability to create. UConn needs to keep pressure up the entire shot clock because this team, especially Wong, is able to make something out of nothing.
  • Their defense is really interesting. Their one-on-one defense isn't particularly bad, but their team defense is pretty rough. It wasn't quite as bad as against UT, but IU got a lot of wide open three point looks with a similar formula: drive into the paint, draws 3-4 help defenders into the lane and then a kickout with no defender within 10 feet. I actually don't think IU, and especially Jackson-Davis exploited this as much as they should have, instead settling for a contested look in the paint rather than a wide open three they either passed up or (more likely) did not see. After watching these two games, I just don't see any real chance that Hawkins, Karaban, Alleyne, and Calcaterra aren't going to get really good looks.
  • IU had a tendency to telegraph some really bad entry passes that got picked off and let Miami get out and run. It wasn't really caused by crazy pressure, they were just incredibly easy to jump the pass with Miami's athletic ability. That's not an area we generally have a big issue with, but will absolutely be a point of focus this week. Need to limit Miami's easy looks in transition.
  • They showed some traps and token full court pressure this game but still not a ton. I'm going to be really interested to see if Laranaga tries to employ this more against UConn, given some of our struggles (though we've also seen that backfire in a big way).
I continue to be cautiously optimistic against Miami. We're just a terrible matchup for them defensively. They have showed nothing in these two games that makes me believe they'll stop our ball movement and open perimeter looks either in the half court or in transition and I'm not confident Omier will be able to avoid foul trouble, much less significantly slow down Sanogo or Clingan (who he gives up 7-8 inches to). If Omier has to sit for 40% of the game like he did against IU, it's going to be a bloodbath on the boards because the drop-off is significant. That being said, we've seen this UConn team go cold from 3 before and it could certainly happen again, even with good looks. I think Miami's path to victory is winning the turnover margin, keeping it close on the glass, getting to the line a lot, and hoping we miss shots. It's absolutely possible, they're a really talented offensive team, but I feel pretty good about our chances.

Reaction Score
I think the key is really going to be their ability to defend the 3 point line against UConn... UT was better at exploiting that, but not to the level they will see from UConn
UT shot 40% from three (10/25) i dont think we can expect to do better than that in a football stadium. i dont want this game to come down to our ability to hit 10+ threes at 40% or better.

i'd rather dominate the glass on both ends, get second chance points, and in the process get omier into foul trouble.

Reaction Score
Hurley shouldn't do a thing differently from what he has done to date. They need to adjust to UConn, not the other way around.

We are Goliath. Let David figure out how to use the slingshot.
I'm not really sure what that means (e.g., our defensive strategy was wildly different against Gonzaga and Arkansas). It would be coaching malpractice for him not to adjust to Miami's strengths.

Reaction Score
Maryland shot 72% from 2. That’s a bad loss.
They were never within single digits in the second half to an 8-seed. It's not that they lost that game, but rather how.

Reaction Score
I remember someone saying that we were 2-6 when allowing opposing teams with a FG% of 60% or better from inside the 3 pt line. Miami shot almost 66% from 2 pt land vs Texas and shot 28-32 from the charity stripe.

We will need to play tough defense and make them shoot tough shots and I think Clingan will be a big factor in case we allow straight line drives to the basket on a regular basis.

Reaction Score
Rewatched UT-UM and put some thoughts in the other thread, but figured my notes from rewatching IU-UM would make more sense here.
  • Game was a really interesting counterpoint to UT as those two opponents are wildly different (especially with Disu out). Texas had some speed but lacked any real size, IU had the size but looked every part the traditional plodding big ten team outside of Jackson-Davis. Nothing complicated about UM's offense, they just went right around the much slower defenders. We will present an interesting challenge as this team is much longer than Texas and much more athletic than IU.
  • Strangely, this game was probably a better blueprint for how both UM and UConn can win this matchup than UT. IU got Omier into quick foul trouble and then Jackson-Davis just went to work and got pretty much whatever he wanted in the post. Even when Omier came back in, they largely had Miller guarding Jackson-Davis (not sure if this was strategic as a help side defender or to avoid more foul trouble). On the other hand, Miami employed a much more balanced attack than against UT. Offense was still based on ISO with their very talented guards, but they were much more committed to establishing the 3 point line as well.
  • This win really came down to two things: IU missed a lot of wide open shots, especially from 3, and just got killed on the boards (combo of Omier being a high-motor menace and IU, especially Jackson-Davis, seemingly being allergic to putting a body on him on the offensive glass). UConn should win the rebounding battle, but someone NEEDS to put a body on Omier. Interestingly, when Omier is out, they basically don't crash the offensive glass at all.
  • On offense, Miami is probably the most talented late shot clock team we've faced this year since 4 guys on the floor have the ability to create. UConn needs to keep pressure up the entire shot clock because this team, especially Wong, is able to make something out of nothing.
  • Their defense is really interesting. Their one-on-one defense isn't particularly bad, but their team defense is pretty rough. It wasn't quite as bad as against UT, but IU got a lot of wide open three point looks with a similar formula: drive into the paint, draws 3-4 help defenders into the lane and then a kickout with no defender within 10 feet. I actually don't think IU, and especially Jackson-Davis exploited this as much as they should have, instead settling for a contested look in the paint rather than a wide open three they either passed up or (more likely) did not see. After watching these two games, I just don't see any real chance that Hawkins, Karaban, Alleyne, and Calcaterra aren't going to get really good looks.
  • IU had a tendency to telegraph some really bad entry passes that got picked off and let Miami get out and run. It wasn't really caused by crazy pressure, they were just incredibly easy to jump the pass with Miami's athletic ability. That's not an area we generally have a big issue with, but will absolutely be a point of focus this week. Need to limit Miami's easy looks in transition.
  • They showed some traps and token full court pressure this game but still not a ton. I'm going to be really interested to see if Laranaga tries to employ this more against UConn, given some of our struggles (though we've also seen that backfire in a big way).
I continue to be cautiously optimistic against Miami. We're just a terrible matchup for them defensively. They have showed nothing in these two games that makes me believe they'll stop our ball movement and open perimeter looks either in the half court or in transition and I'm not confident Omier will be able to avoid foul trouble, much less significantly slow down Sanogo or Clingan (who he gives up 7-8 inches to). If Omier has to sit for 40% of the game like he did against IU, it's going to be a bloodbath on the boards because the drop-off is significant. That being said, we've seen this UConn team go cold from 3 before and it could certainly happen again, even with good looks. I think Miami's path to victory is winning the turnover margin, keeping it close on the glass, getting to the line a lot, and hoping we miss shots. It's absolutely possible, they're a really talented offensive team, but I feel pretty good about our chances.
My biggest concerns here are:
1) Their ability to make something out of nothing and score or get fouled late in the clock. These are huge momentum swing plays. Shabazz Napier basically won us a championship on this.
2) Their ability to neutralize post entry passes and turn them into points the other way. We cannot be force-feeding Sanogo all game.
3) We go uncharacteristically cold from deep and don't get the calls on 1 on 1 drives into the lane.

Reaction Score
UT shot 40% from three (10/25) i dont think we can expect to do better than that in a football stadium. i dont want this game to come down to our ability to hit 10+ threes at 40% or better.

i'd rather dominate the glass on both ends, get second chance points, and in the process get omier into foul trouble.
I don't mean to suggest we're going to shoot 40 threes, I just think UConn is better at finding the wide open man when it's there with our motion. I think Miami is going to have a ton of trouble down low on defense regardless of what they try to do, but would agree, Omier staying out of foul trouble is another huge key (though I really struggle to see that happening).

Reaction Score
Fouls. And stupid turnovers is what could kill us.

Dan and the coaches will have the boys prepared.

One other thing Jackson MUST not try to get fancy and have stupid turnovers. And don’t think opponents don’t know that he gets emotional and is prone to get T’ed up.

Reaction Score
Miami's starting lineup reminds me of ours from '14 except we were better at every spot:

Boat > Pack
Bazz > Wong
Giffey > Poplar
Daniels > Miller
Brimah > Omier

both teams had two do it all combo Gs but Boat was a menace defensively and Bazz was an all-time great college player. Daniels and Miller are both athletic stretch 4s that can score. Giffey and Poplar are the glue guys but Giffey had better size. Brimah and Omier both good paint defenders but Brimah the better shot blocker and Omier the better rebounder. having said that, UConn's '23 team is even better than the '14 team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom