DEFENSE: 104th in efficiency
  • 18th in FTA/FGA prevention (24.1%)
    • But opponents shoot 74.6% from FT, 317th
  • 76th in steal rate
  • 134th in opp. 3P% (33.4%)
    • 217th in 3PA/FGA prevention (38.3%)
  • 174th in block rate
  • 179th in defensive rebounding rate
  • 262nd in A/FGM prevention (54% of FGMs are from assists)
  • 246th in opp. 2P% (51.6%)
  • 330th in non-steal/block turnover rate

Other metrics:
  • 27th in D1 experience (average 2.9 years)
  • 224th in height (6’4.8)
  • 335th in 2-Foul Participation in first half (7.1%)
  • 326rd in bench minutes (24.0%)
    • In comparison, UConn is 221st w/ 29.3%, lower than I expected

After making the Elite Eight last season, the painfully likable Jim Larranaga has led Miami to its first ever Final Four. Head coaching at the D1 level since the 1986-87 season (absurd to think that I was four months old when he started his first head coaching gig), this will be Larranaga’s second time in the Final Four, but for some reason my memory can’t serve me right in remembering which team he coached and who he played against…

As mentioned in other threads, Miami, like Gonzaga, is another “all offense, no defense” team. Schematically, what makes Miami unique is that all five of their starters have the ability to break you down on the bounce. Almost all of their halfcourt sets are five out with their center Omier setting on- or off-ball screens, depending on the set. In addition, Miami loves back cutting and there were quite a handful of times that Texas, particularly Christian Bishop, were caught snoozing.

Rather than having one pure point guard, all four starting guards are all capable distributors who move the ball beautifully and unselfishly. While most of their offensive attack is inside the arc, all non-bigs are decent to excellent perimeter shooters, all averaging at least 30.8% or better from three.

Their defense is anchored by Norchad Omier, a shorter, but muscular and versatile defender that counterbalances Miami’s quickness at the guard level. For example, Miami’s athleticism and speed matched up well to Texas’ Horns offense, a set that always starts with two guards in the corners with two forwards at the top of the key in position to set a screen for the point guard followed by quick cuts elsewhere. With Disu out, Texas had to play small and this catered to the strengths of Miami. Overall, Miami’s guards are more encouraged to take risks to generate turnovers even though that might open up spacing opportunities for the opponents.

Miami’s defensive “weakness” shouldn’t be poo-pooed as the Hurricanes have a handful of talented individual defenders: I’ve already mentioned Omier while point guard Bentley Joseph is often used as a full court pressure defender. Wings Harlond Beverly and Wooga Poplar are also athletic and versatile defenders.

Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 5.30.41 PM.png

Miami’s success and “all offense, no defense” persona is predicated on the backcourt trio of Isaiah Wong, Jordan Miller and Nijel Pack. Wong is arguably the team’s most creative offensive weapon who does most of his facilitating from the elbow. What makes Wong so dangerous is his subtle “triple threat” as in it is difficult to perceive whether he will shoot, dribble or pass at first possession.

Nijel Pack is probably the team’s most frenetic and unpredictable guard as he’s got a wide array of YMCA gym moves that allow him to make really tough shots without sacrificing efficiency. I loved his behind the backboard called-off basket (a move I’ve seen @Letsgohuskies11 use successfully multiple times in horse and in game). At 6’0 182, he’s not only small, but he’s clearly Miami’s weakest defender, something that excites me in whichever guard he is on assignment with, be it Hawkins or Newton.

Jordan Miller is probably my favorite player on the team, a lefty whose length, athleticism and ambidextrousness makes him arguably the best finisher on the team and someone who is unafraid to stop on a dime for a mid-range take. On my count, playing against Texas’ smaller lineups, Miller played about five minutes as the small ball five. As athletic as he is, he is prone to getting tunnel vision on offense, which makes me think of back-cutting opportunities for whichever forward he guards, be it Karaban or Jackson.

A Philly native who did not start playing organized basketball until he was a sophomore in high school, Wooga Poplar is a gifted baseball star who has transitioned nicely as Miami’s best defensive starting backcourt piece. He reminds me a bit of Alleyne, content without the ball in his hands, but very efficient and productive, when needed.

Off the bench, PSA grad Bentley Joseph is a physical, solid-shooting point guard who is their most prominent full court press option while Harlond Beverly, who missed last year with a back injury, is Miami’s most versatile defender (he could comfortably guard any of our non-bigs), but not an offensive threat.

After transferring in this season from Arkansas State, Norchad Omier is arguably Miami’s most valuable player, especially since their frontcourt options behind Omier are underwhelming. As mentioned earlier, Omier starts most halfcourt sets on the perimeter to set screens and open up the floor for their rim attackers, but most of Omier’s points are under the basket on post-plays or from recycling second chance opportunities of missed shots.

At maybe 6’7 but easily his listed 248 pounds, Omier is an elite rebounder and an excellent defensive option whose strength allows him to guard low-post options while his athleticism gives him freedom to hedge aggressively and pester guards, especially seen in his two steals last night against Miami, which highlighted his impressive hands.

Omier is very good and part of the reason why I picked Drake to beat Miami in the first round was due to Omier’s questionable status entering the season. With Omier out, Miami’s left over frontcourt leaves much to be desired.

Senior Anthony Walker and freshman AJ Carey are more face-up power forwards. Noting that Omier is charged a whopping 4.2 fouls/40 minutes takes me back to the Texas game where Omier had foul trouble early on. Miami was clearly a better team with Omier on the floor, and this was without Texas having true bigs to take advantage of his benching. I’ve said this in every scouting report this tournament: the tag-team of Sanogo/Clingan should, yet again, be used heavily to our advantage. Yes, Omier is a very good big, arguably the best big we’ve seen this tournament, but considering the lack of depth behind him and the weakness of the defense surrounding him, UConn has a tasty opportunity to capitalize on attempting to get him in foul trouble.

Aside from the clear big v big matchups, I really like Jackson matching up defensively with Jordan Miller, their 4, which then allows Karaban to guard Wooga Poplar, their least dynamic offensive piece. Another possibility would have Jackson on Wong, their best guard, leaving Karaban on Miller and then Hawkins on Poplar. Pack is a heck of a shooter, but considering that he is Miami’s least willing bucket attacker, I like Newton’s length on Pack all day.

KenPom’s prediction: UConn wins 80-73

It’s happening. It’s happening this week. It feels great. I can't wait. For those who are going to be in Houston, have a freakin’ blast.

Anywho, thanks again for reading, I love you all, it’s going to be a fun night!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Miami: 29-7
KenPom Rating: 22
NET ranking: 35
5-5 vs Q1 ; 6-0 vs Q2

Last 15 games: 13-2

Best Win
  • 3/26/23 89-75 over Houston
    • All starters scored 10+ points
    • Pack: 26 points, 7-10 from 3
    • Wong: 20 points, 9-11 from FT

Worst Loss:
  • 11/20/22 88-70 vs Maryland
    • Maryland was 72.4% from 2 and 42.9% from 3

OFFENSE: 5th in efficiency
  • 15th with a 78.0 FT%
    • But 195th in FTA/FGA (31.0%)
  • 30th with a 54.5 2p%
  • 33rd with a 36.9 3p%
    • But just 275th in 3PA/FGA (34.3%)
  • 48th in preventing turnovers
  • 74th in offensive rebounding rate
  • 113rd in pace (17 seconds/possession)
  • 174th in A/FGM (50.6%)
  • In summary, no glaring weaknesses in their offensive efficiency

• 76th in steal rate
  • 174th in block rate

Other metrics:

After making the Elite Eight last season, the painfully likable Jim Larranaga has led Miami to its first ever Final Four. Head coaching at the D1 level since the 1986-87 season (absurd to think that I was four months old when he started his first head coaching gig), this will be Larranaga’s second time in the Final Four, but for some reason my memory can’t serve me right in remembering which team he coached and who he played against…

As mentioned in other threads, Miami, like Gonzaga, is another “all offense, no defense” team. Schematically, what makes Miami unique is that all five of their starters have the ability to break you down on the bounce. Almost all of their halfcourt sets are five out with their center Omier setting on- or off-ball screens, depending on the set. In addition, Miami loves back cutting and there were quite a handful of times that Texas, particularly Christian Bishop, were caught snoozing.

Rather than having one pure point guard, all four starting guards are all capable distributors who move the ball beautifully and unselfishly. While most of their offensive attack is inside the arc, all non-bigs are decent to excellent perimeter shooters, all averaging at least 30.8% or better from three.

Their defense is anchored by Norchad Omier, a shorter, but muscular and versatile defender that counterbalances Miami’s quickness at the guard level. For example, Miami’s athleticism and speed matched up well to Texas’ Horns offense, a set that always starts with two guards in the corners with two forwards at the top of the key in position to set a screen for the point guard followed by quick cuts elsewhere. With Disu out, Texas had to play small and this catered to the strengths of Miami. Overall, Miami’s guards are more encouraged to take risks to generate turnovers even though that might open up spacing opportunities for the opponents.

Miami’s defensive “weakness” shouldn’t be poo-pooed as the Hurricanes have a handful of talented individual defenders: I’ve already mentioned Omier while point guard Bentley Joseph is often used as a full court pressure defender. Wings Harlond Beverly and Wooga Poplar are also athletic and versatile defenders.

View attachment 86079

Miami’s success and “all offense, no defense” persona is predicated on the backcourt trio of Isaiah Wong, Jordan Miller and Nijel Pack. Wong is arguably the team’s most creative offensive weapon who does most of his facilitating from the elbow. What makes Wong so dangerous is his subtle “triple threat” as in it is difficult to perceive whether he will shoot, dribble or pass at first possession.

Nijel Pack is probably the team’s most frenetic and unpredictable guard as he’s got a wide array of YMCA gym moves that allow him to make really tough shots without sacrificing efficiency. I loved his behind the backboard called-off basket (a move I’ve seen @Letsgohuskies11 use successfully multiple times in horse and in game). At 6’0 182, he’s not only small, but he’s clearly Miami’s weakest defender, something that excites me in whichever guard he is on assignment with, be it Hawkins or Newton.

Jordan Miller is probably my favorite player on the team, a lefty whose length, athleticism and ambidextrousness makes him arguably the best finisher on the team and someone who is unafraid to stop on a dime for a mid-range take. On my count, playing against Texas’ smaller lineups, Miller played about five minutes as the small ball five. As athletic as he is, he is prone to getting tunnel vision on offense, which makes me think of back-cutting opportunities for whichever forward he guards, be it Karaban or Jackson.

A Philly native who did not start playing organized basketball until he was a sophomore in high school, Wooga Poplar is a gifted baseball star who has transitioned nicely as Miami’s best defensive starting backcourt piece. He reminds me a bit of Alleyne, content without the ball in his hands, but very efficient and productive, when needed.

Off the bench, PSA grad Bentley Joseph is a physical, solid-shooting point guard who is their most prominent full court press option while Harlond Beverly, who missed last year with a back injury, is Miami’s most versatile defender (he could comfortably guard any of our non-bigs), but not an offensive threat.

After transferring in this season from Arkansas State, Norchad Omier is arguably Miami’s most valuable player, especially since their frontcourt options behind Omier are underwhelming. As mentioned earlier, Omier starts most halfcourt sets on the perimeter to set screens and open up the floor for their rim attackers, but most of Omier’s points are under the basket on post-plays or from recycling second chance opportunities of missed shots.

At maybe 6’7 but easily his listed 248 pounds, Omier is an elite rebounder and an excellent defensive option whose strength allows him to guard low-post options while his athleticism gives him freedom to hedge aggressively and pester guards, especially seen in his two steals last night against Miami, which highlighted his impressive hands.

Omier is very good and part of the reason why I picked Drake to beat Miami in the first round was due to Omier’s questionable status entering the season. With Omier out, Miami’s left over frontcourt leaves much to be desired.

Senior Anthony Walker and freshman AJ Carey are more face-up power forwards. Noting that Omier is charged a whopping 4.2 fouls/40 minutes takes me back to the Texas game where Omier had foul trouble early on. Miami was clearly a better team with Omier on the floor, and this was without Texas having true bigs to take advantage of his benching. I’ve said this in every scouting report this tournament: the tag-team of Sanogo/Clingan should, yet again, be used heavily to our advantage. Yes, Omier is a very good big, arguably the best big we’ve seen this tournament, but considering the lack of depth behind him and the weakness of the defense surrounding him, UConn has a tasty opportunity to capitalize on attempting to get him in foul trouble.

Aside from the clear big v big matchups, I really like Jackson matching up defensively with Jordan Miller, their 4, which then allows Karaban to guard Wooga Poplar, their least dynamic offensive piece. Another possibility would have Jackson on Wong, their best guard, leaving Karaban on Miller and then Hawkins on Poplar. Pack is a heck of a shooter, but considering that he is Miami’s least willing bucket attacker, I like Newton’s length on Pack all day.

It’s happening. It’s happening this week. It feels great. I can't wait. For those who are going to be in Houston, have a freakin’ blast.

m8qnbZt.jpg

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Thank you as always for this terrific work. I’ve seen them a little. The fouls per 40 on Omier are interesting. Yet he’s a load so I will be watching to see how Sanogo does with a guy he can’t overpower. Their guards are tough. Can‘t get rattled if they hit some shots. Play our game and ultimately the offenses are a wash and our defense is much better. Have to hit the boards.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Thank you as always for this terrific work. I’ve seen them a little. The fouls per 40 on Omier are interesting. Yet he’s a load so I will be watching to see how Sanogo does with a guy he can’t overpower. Their guards are tough. Can‘t get rattled if they hit some shots. Play our game and ultimately the offenses are a wash and our defense is much better. Have to hit the boards.
I would love someone to tell Sanogo there’s someone he’s weaker than. Put it on the bulletin board!

Reaction Score
This feels like a Clingan game. Miami is going to drive a lot and Donovan can shut down the paint. Going to be hard for Miami to keep him off the glass as well. Clingan may have problems guarding Omier on dribble drives though. I wonder if we would go zone in that case?

Reaction Score
With Omier setting screens up top in order to open up the guards to attack the basket and Omier not much of an option to roll to the basket I think the high hedge will be an effective weapon. Apologies to Chief. Then Donavon comes in to protect the rim.

Reaction Score
We may see a little bit more of Diarra for Pack. This is a good opponent to use his defensive prowess on a smaller guard because the Miami defense isnt overwhelming and we shouldnt need to worry about the fall off offensively from Newton to Diarra

Reaction Score
5-5 vs Q1 ; 6-0 vs Q2

Best Win

Worst Loss:

• 15th with a 78.0 FT%
  • 30th with a 54.5 2p%
  • 33rd with a 36.9 3p%
  • 174th in A/FGM (50.6%)

• 76th in steal rate
  • 174th in block rate

Other metrics:

View attachment 86079

Nerd Computing GIF by Verohallinto

Reaction Score
After re-watching their UT game, I was pretty shocked at how bad their defense was. The vast majority of Texas' threes were wide open and completely uncontested. The off-ball defenders just got caught watching the ball handler and drifted towards the lane. Not off-ball screens or crazy motion, just lack of focus. Same thing in their transition D, 3-4 guys would collapse on the ball handler and no one would go find the shooter. If they do that against UConn, it's going to be a long, long night.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
5-5 vs Q1 ; 6-0 vs Q2

Best Win

Worst Loss:

• 15th with a 78.0 FT%
  • 30th with a 54.5 2p%
  • 33rd with a 36.9 3p%
  • 174th in A/FGM (50.6%)

• 76th in steal rate
  • 174th in block rate

Other metrics:

View attachment 86079

Robert Carradine 80S GIF

Reaction Score
After re-watching their UT game, I was pretty shocked at how bad their defense was. The vast majority of Texas' threes were wide open and completely uncontested. The off-ball defenders just got caught watching the ball handler and drifted towards the lane. Not off-ball screens or crazy motion, just lack of focus. Same thing in their transition D, 3-4 guys would collapse on the ball handler and no one would go find the shooter. If they do that against UConn, it's going to be a long, long night.
We need to get Wong involved in screens as much as possible. He's improved since freshman year but he's still really bad and gives up so many open shots for our guards to take advantage of

Reaction Score
As far as bad losses are concerned, Maryland is a tournament team. Game was on the road no less. So not really a horrible loss.

Hopefully we can take advantage of their perimeter defense. I think they'll struggle to fight through screens and find shooters.

We will see.

Reaction Score
We need to get Wong involved in screens as much as possible. He's improved since freshman year but he's still really bad and gives up so many open shots for our guards to take advantage of
There was nothing complicated about the sets Texas ran. Ball screen at the top and Carr drives with three shooters on the perimeter as kickout options and yet Miami had the same breakdowns over and over. I'm very curious what Laranaga will draw up, because UConn's offense is going to be much harder to defend.

Reaction Score
Miami shredded two of the best defenses in the country the last 2 games.

1.2+ points per possession in each game over last 3 against #4, 1, and 2 seeds.

Doing it mostly from 2pt land. 53%, 57%, 67% from inside the arc. Houston had the 5th best 2-point defense in the country and it didn't matter.

Reaction Score
This feels like a Clingan game. Miami is going to drive a lot and Donovan can shut down the paint. Going to be hard for Miami to keep him off the glass as well. Clingan may have problems guarding Omier on dribble drives though. I wonder if we would go zone in that case?
i am worried about their three-point shooting if we zone at all. wong, pack, poplar, and bentley are all ~40% shooters.

texas ran them off the line (similar to what we will do) and forced them to take a lot of crazy midrange shots, which all seemed to go in during the second half. hoping those same shots rim out on saturday.

Reaction Score
i am worried about their three-point shooting if we zone at all. wong, pack, poplar, and bentley are all ~40% shooters.

texas ran them off the line (similar to what we will do) and forced them to take a lot of crazy midrange shots, which all seemed to go in during the second half. hoping those same shots rim out on saturday.
they shot only eight (!!!) threes against texas, and made two of them.

compare that to the houston game, where they took 25 and made 11. pack alone made 7/10.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom