Miami beats Duke on an INSANE kickoff return. Wow | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Miami beats Duke on an INSANE kickoff return. Wow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You use the replay to see if someone was down or if there was a forward lateral. You can't call a block in the back by looking at the replay

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You use the replay to see if someone was down or if there was a forward lateral. You can't call a block in the back by looking at the replay

That's the point - they used it to pick up a flag. It probably shouldn't have been thrown in the first place, but they used it improperly and somehow missed the guy being down.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
They aren't. They claim they didn't.

But the one they missed at the 15 is a blatent a penalty as you can miss.

The runner is also down - and I don't see how replay missed that.

Everyone I tell thinks I'm crazy. I HATE replay and would prefer they just got rid of it.

You are crazy. Watch classic sports if you think football was better before replay. Officials often played a bigger role in the outcome of games than the players.

Reaction Score
The only thing missing was the band on the field ala Cal vs Stanford from 1982

Reaction Score
Where was the flag that was supposedly picked up? I have watched this thing a dozen times and not seen a flag on the ground anywhere and I would have thought the announcers would have said something about a flag being thrown, unless they did so after the end of the video clip.

Reaction Score
Blatant block in the back at the Miami 15 yd line that wasn't called.

Reaction Score
I think there was one definite block in the back and then probably about 2 other ones that could have been called as well.

Reaction Score
upload_2015-11-1_12-19-12.png

Reaction Score
It was pretty crazy that Miami had almost 200 yards in penalties and wasn't down multiple scores.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You are crazy. Watch classic sports if you think football was better before replay. Officials often played a bigger role in the outcome of games than the players.

I hate what it does to the game.

Pace, how the officials use it for a crutch, that it causes even more controversy than just missed calls.

But I don't operate under the delusion the games are fixed - or the delusion if they were replay would matter.

Reaction Score
ACC ANNOUNCES OFFICIATING SUSPENSIONS FOLLOWING THE MIAMI AT DUKE FOOTBALL GAME
http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-announces-11-01-2015

<<The series of errors during the final play of the game will result in the suspension of the entire crew for two ACC games.

The errors that occurred during the last play of the game are:

• The replay official erred in not overturning the ruling on the field that the Miami player had released the ball prior to his knee being down. If called, this would have ended the game.
  • The on-field officials erred by failing to penalize Miami for an illegal block in the back at the Miami 16-yard line. If called, the ball would have been placed at the Miami 8-yard line and the game would have been extended for an untimed down.
  • A block in the back foul was called at the Duke 26-yard line. After the officials conferred, which is appropriate, they correctly determined that the block was from the side, which resulted in the flag being picked up. The replay official was not involved in the decision to pick up the flag; however, the referee did not effectively manage communication and properly explain why the flag was picked up.
  • In addition, the on-field crew failed to penalize a Miami player for leaving the bench area and entering the field prior to the end of the play. This foul would not have negated the touchdown because it would have been enforced as a dead ball foul.<<

The cries have started to reverse the outcome of the game... not sure you'll ever see that but the interweb/twitterverse is gathering pitchforks and building the funeral pyre!

Reaction Score
That's got to be a first. This will surely leave a bad taste in Duke's mouth.

Reaction Score
Those officials should be suspended for everything that went on in that game. It may have been the worst officiated game I have ever seen.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

<<The series of errors during the final play of the game will result in the suspension of the entire crew for two ACC games.

• The replay official erred in not overturning the ruling on the field that the Miami player had released the ball prior to his knee being down. If called, this would have ended the game.
  • The on-field officials erred by failing to penalize Miami for an illegal block in the back at the Miami 16-yard line. If called, the ball would have been placed at the Miami 8-yard line and the game would have been extended for an untimed down.
  • A block in the back foul was called at the Duke 26-yard line. After the officials conferred, which is appropriate, they correctly determined that the block was from the side, which resulted in the flag being picked up. The replay official was not involved in the decision to pick up the flag; however, the referee did not effectively manage communication and properly explain why the flag was picked up.
  • In addition, the on-field crew failed to penalize a Miami player for leaving the bench area and entering the field prior to the end of the play. This foul would not have negated the touchdown because it would have been enforced as a dead ball foul.<<

The cries have started to reverse the outcome of the game... not sure you'll ever see that but the interweb/twitterverse is gathering pitchforks and building the funeral pyre!

#1 and #3 are the only ones that matter. The officials can not go to replay to call penalties, so #2 and #4 should not be relevant.

The knee down is close because the ball appears to be leaving his hand at almost the same time. I could understand ruling that the knee down was inconclusive.

I absolutely do NOT believe that they didn't review the monitor before picking up the flag. It shouldn't have taken them 9 minutes to pick up a flag. I would be in favor of suspensions for #3 alone.

Reaction Score
Lots of calls are missed, some even after replay. Recognize the errors, discipline the offenders, apologize to the losers---and move on. The idea of reversing the outcome is ludicrous.

Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:
I absolutely do NOT believe that they didn't review the monitor before picking up the flag. It shouldn't have taken them 9 minutes to pick up a flag. I would be in favor of suspensions for #3 alone.

This. The fact that they mentioned it when discussing the result of the replay is proof enough that the call on the field was a penalty not a lack of a penalty. Because of that the ACC should reverse the result of the game.

Reaction Score
They rightly picked up the flag for the block in the back at the Duke 25 when the runner was 15 yards ahead and the block was at the side.

But they missed 2 blatant ones way back in Miami territory that basically sprung the penultimate runner.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

#replayworks

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Lots of calls are missed, some even after replay. Recognize the errors, discipline the offenders, apologize to the losers---and move on. The idea of reversing the outcome is ludicrous.

Have to agree with you - as bad as everything was you can't change the result on Monday.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Don't worry everyone. I'm sure as consolation, the NCAA will reward Duke with a 1 seed and their first 4 tourney games played in North Carolina. Again. Just like every other year.

Reaction Score
The only thing missing was the band on the field ala Cal vs Stanford from 1982

Those Cal-Stanford games in late 70s-early 80s were great theater. Joe Roth died way too young.

Reaction Score

• In addition, the on-field crew failed to penalize a Miami player for leaving the bench area and entering the field prior to the end of the play. This foul would not have negated the touchdown because it would have been enforced as a dead ball foul

This one I can't figure out. There's excessive celebration and then there's running out onto to the field without one's helmet before the ball carrier was at the 5 yard line. That's 1) a personal foul for removing one's helmet, which would not negate the touchdown, and 12 men on the field while it is still a live play. That should have negated the touchdown along with several blocks in the back and the fact that the runner was down at one point.

I guess the football powers do rule to ACC now...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Probably doesn't help that the referee's and replay officials likely sell women's shoes Monday through Thursday.

Then utterly poor quality of the replay reviews is stunning. Incompetent is too kind a word and it's not limited to this particular call. It seems every game has at least one what replay are you watching moment.

I look directly back to the USF play stepping out of bounds at least twice if not three times on the game winning drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom