MHOC Coach Mike Cavanaugh Contract Extended through 2026 | The Boneyard

MHOC Coach Mike Cavanaugh Contract Extended through 2026

Reaction Score

->In addition to Auriemma’s new deal, UConn’s men hockey coach Mike Cavanaugh recently signed a nearly $2 million contract extension through 2026.

Cavanaugh’s contract is valued at just under $2.0 million over five years, with him set to earn $360,000 in Year 1 and $438,000 in the final year of his contract. Additional compensation is available through performance incentives (based on APR standings, national rankings, conference and NCAA achievements and coaching awards) and a retention bonus of $150,000 if he stays at UConn through April 1, 2026. He also gets a $12,000 car allowance, is eligible for a family membership at a country club and receives 10 tickets for all UConn hockey games and four for all other UConn home games.

Cavanaugh, 52, has been at UConn since 2013, most recently guiding the Huskies to a historic season in which they entered the top 20 in the rankings for the first time. The school is also set to start construction on its new $70 million on-campus hockey arena this weekend. <-

Reaction Score
This is a great move by UConn. He’s been having great success. I know some here don’t like Cav which I respect but he’s really starting to produce, this year is evident
Yep. But some people are about to lose their sh#&$*#

Reaction Score
He deserves a chance to coach in the new building. This should make that happen. Of course, he has to produce when everything is in place.
Great news for UConn hockey fans! Many (including yours truly) have feared that Mike has been the heir-apparent-in-waiting to Jerry York at BC. I have little doubt that the reality of a new on-campus rink has been a significant factor in his retention. Kudos to Dave Benedict, the UConn administration and donors who stepped up to position UConn hockey as an annual force in Hockey East.

Come October...................let's rock the XL Center to the rafters. Onward to Boston's TD Garden next March!

Reaction Score
Since 2013: Lets just have fun playing hockey and in front of huge top 10 average attendance crowds.
Since 2021: We've got to win in the playoffs in front of 2600 people! (Instead of talking a championship; you guys can enjoy the wait.)

Well, at least Benedict set a reasonable standard, as in win a damn playoff game. We lost to Robert Morris at home in our last game in the AHC playoffs. One beautiful MAAC regular season banner to hang in our new 70 million dollar "one of the best country facilities".

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This is a great move by UConn. He’s been having great success. I know some here don’t like Cav which I respect but he’s really starting to produce, this year is evident

Some here are idiots.

Reaction Score
I have stopped coming here because of the management. But I had to visit one last time to witness the explosion. Looks like it is taking its time.

Reaction Score
I am really in the middle on this one. Pros: I just like him for some reason; the team started to show signs of being good; the talent is getting better (based on draft picks and what my untrained eye sees on the ice); he has done it only with a promise of an arena. Cons: the team looked awful in its playoff game this year and before; they seem to have wild performance swings game to game;I hate our special teams which to me consistently underperform; he had had a long leash of generally mediocre at best seasons.

So I guess I am in favor of it; partly based on the fact I don’t think we are a destination job where we end up with a significant upgrade if we went in a different direction.

Reaction Score
I am really in the middle on this one. Pros: I just like him for some reason; the team started to show signs of being good; the talent is getting better (based on draft picks and what my untrained eye sees on the ice); he has done it only with a promise of an arena. Cons: the team looked awful in its playoff game this year and before; they seem to have wild performance swings game to game;I hate our special teams which to me consistently underperform; he had had a long leash of generally mediocre at best seasons.

So I guess I am in favor of it; partly based on the fact I don’t think we are a destination job where we end up with a significant upgrade if we went in a different direction.
I sort of agree with this. Our special teams have been awful forever. We have consistently played badly in the post season. This time we really spit the bit. And we seem to struggle for consistent play.

Reaction Score
As far as being a destination job. Maybe. Though if UConn wins the NCAA title next year the first question most UConn fans will ask is “ do you know Dan Hurley?” Second will be “Do you know Geno?” It is what it is. It is the 3rd winter sport.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom