MHC McFerrin and the fire | The Boneyard

MHC McFerrin and the fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
"I told them I wanted to see fire in their eyes until the horn went off and I reminded them of that every four minutes."

Memphis head coach Melissa McFerrin sounds like a good one to have in the conference. With a team that has some limits on abilities, she's gotten pretty nice results by concentrating on certain goals and keeping her players heads in the game for 40 minutes, even when their way down to the #1 team in the country. Seems like a team that could move way up in the ratings in the years ahead.

ESPN noted that Memphis has gotten one win in ten contests with a #1 team, that one coming almost 30 years ago against LA Tech in Feb 1984, though they didn't make the NCAA tournament that year after being bumped off by Louisville for the Metro conference crown. Hard to imagine a team beating the #1 team in the country nowadays and not making the tourney. Most of Memphis's contests with #1 teams came against UTenn, whom they have beaten only once way back in 1979 in 27 tries.

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
"I told them I wanted to see fire in their eyes until the horn went off and I reminded them of that every four minutes."

Memphis head coach Melissa McFerrin sounds like a good one to have in the conference. With a team that has some limits on abilities, she's gotten pretty nice results by concentrating on certain goals and keeping her players heads in the game for 40 minutes, even when their way down to the #1 team in the country. Seems like a team that could move way up in the ratings in the years ahead.

ESPN noted that Memphis has gotten one win in ten contests with a #1 team, that one coming almost 30 years ago against LA Tech in Feb 1984, though they didn't make the NCAA tournament that year after being bumped off by Louisville for the Metro conference crown. Hard to imagine a team beating the #1 team in the country nowadays and not making the tourney. Most of Memphis's contests with #1 teams came against UTenn, whom they have beaten only once way back in 1979 in 27 tries.
Agreed, I've been impressed with Memphis both times I've watched them. They play hard and show a wonderful determination, and their screens stood out... very tight.

As I've watched them, I've come to think that I may be watching the making of a very very good team in the future. There's something about their coach that has me believing she'll get them to the next level.

YOPB

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
The final score doesn't demonstrate it, but Memphis plays UConn tough. In both games, Memphis has stayed even with UConn for the first 10 minutes or so and then the Superior talent takes over. Memphis is not afraid of the names on the Jersey's, they just don't have the talent to stay with UConn. With a couple of good recruits, Memphis can reach the upper echelon of the AAC. Not UConn level, but competitive with all other teams in the AAC.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
After the last Uconn loss knocked them to 0-2 they went to SMU and lost in overtime, then ran off three straight wins including knocking off the then ranked Rutgers team - nice response to a beat down. Hope they can do something similar this time though they have a touch stretch - at Louisville, UCF, at Rutgers. Suspect Rutgers will be out for blood.

Reaction Score
Seeing her live this time - I loved watching her coach her team. Very animated and never stopped instructing and encouraging them. I especially got a kick out of her reaction every time KML got a bucket - I imagine she must have told her team she didn't want to see KML get an open shot, because every time it happened she went a little crazy.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
And supposedly she was pretty flu-ridden last night, so she should be even more instructive when she's at full go.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I've been impressed by her. Her kids play hard and move the ball well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom