Mexican Food in CT | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Mexican Food in CT

Reaction Score
My wife is on day 6 of quarantine and I’m onto day 3. Food is starting to run low so we splurged on Bar Taco delivery last night.

Fried oyster tacos, mushroom tacos, black beans, corn, tuna poke, plantains and guacamole.

Today I’m super thankful for the extra hot sauces that were in the delivery bag. Super flavorful and the right amount of spice to open everything up. I smothered some fried eggs, black beans and warmed tortillas w tons of the sauce.

Honestly, with how hard it is to find a table at our nearest Bar Taco, delivery is probably our way to go. As mentioned by many here, it’s not “traditional” by any means but it’s so darn good.

When I was in high school in the late 70's and playing amateur tennis tournaments around New England, there was this one kid from the "gold coast" I kept running into and got to know. He dropped out of high school and travelled Europe playing small lower level pro tournaments....Years later, in 1994, he opened his first restaurant. In 2019 he and his partner sold their restaurant group that includes Barcelona Wine Bar and Bartaco for $650 million. He never did finish high school though. :)

Reaction Score
New Haven used to have a great Eritrean restaurant called Caffe Adulis that was one of our absolute favorite places to go with friends for many years. Family-style service with that huge spongy bread and the food in piles around it. Just rip off a piece and dig in. Great flavors and great fun. Unfortunately they closed more than ten years ago. There is one Ethiopian place called Lallibella that is good, but Adulis was really special. IIRC @nomar was also a fan.
Gideon ran some great restaurants downtown…

Reaction Score
When I was in high school in the late 70's and playing amateur tennis tournaments around New England, there was this one kid from the "gold coast" I kept running into and got to know. He dropped out of high school and travelled Europe playing small lower level pro tournaments....Years later, in 1994, he opened his first restaurant. In 2019 he and his partner sold their restaurant group that includes Barcelona Wine Bar and Bartaco for $650 million. He never did finish high school though. :)
Woah, that’s so cool! I had no idea about the sale.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Gideon ran some great restaurants downtown…
I believe he was also one of the original owners of Geronimo, along with Camacho and others.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Used to go to Barcelona in Norwalk fairly regularly in early-mid 90s. I knew it expanded to a couple locations, didnt realize there were almost 20. I moved away before BarTaco existed. Interesting thing about the deal is that the equity firm that bought Del Frisco immediately sold off their 38 steakhouses and grilles to Landry's, keeping just the 40 tacos and tapas places.

Seems the smart money says that big plate dining is dead.

Anyway, good for your friend. Hope he starts up something else that's quality. Usually guys like that can't get it out of their system.

Reaction Score
I believe he was also one of the original owners of Geronimo, along with Camacho and others.
He was, and before that Scoozzi’s, Gentree’s and a few others including a little Italian place tucked in the alley where Yale Co-op was (think it’s an Indian place now). Quite the generous host.

Last edited:

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
New Haven used to have a great Eritrean restaurant called Caffe Adulis that was one of our absolute favorite places to go with friends for many years. Family-style service with that huge spongy bread and the food in piles around it. Just rip off a piece and dig in. Great flavors and great fun. Unfortunately they closed more than ten years ago. There is one Ethiopian place called Lallibella that is good, but Adulis was really special. IIRC @nomar was also a fan.

It was great — not far from Bar IIRC

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It was great — not far from Bar IIRC
Right around the corner, on Temple. There is a place called South Bay there now (to which I have never been).

Reaction Score
On the way to eating take out dinner at Calf Pasture Beach in Norwalk, we picked up Tacos Mexico for the first time and loved it.

I ordered mahi mahi tacos w/ cabbage, shredded beets, guac and pico and my wife ordered enfrijoladas, which I've never tried before but it's kinda like enchiladas but instead of covered in mole or a chile sauce its drenched in a black bean sauce.

Overall, I was very impressed. Everything tasted fresh and flavorful, the prices were fair and while we ordered takeout, the vibe inside was low-key and I'd be interested dining in.

For those in the area, it's right by the East Norwalk train station.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
When the original Barcelona opened on North Main Street, half the restaurant was a burger joint, kind of like a Shake Shack before its time, because Sasha & Andy didn't know if the Spanish concept would make it at the time. Really good burgers and fries, but the Spanish side took off like wildfire and the burger side was gone fairly quickly to expand the dining room.

I also remember Soulive & Karl Denson playing at Amberjacks. And Govt Mule & Derek Trucks at the Norwalk Oysterfest. Those were the days...

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I also remember Soulive & Karl Denson playing at Amberjacks. And Govt Mule & Derek Trucks at the Norwalk Oysterfest. Those were the days...
Since you brought up Amberjack's in a thread on Mexican food, do you remember Coyote Cafe on the corner of Washington & Water (roughly where SoNo Harbor & Deli is now)? Stevie B. ran that place before he created Amberjacks. You might have run into me there as I was weekend manager when Steve (often) was out banging models on Saturday nights.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
You might have run into me there as I was weekend manager when Steve (often) was out banging models on Saturday nights.
When he wasn't slinging white out back? I do remember the two hot bartenders from Amberjacks, one was my UConn roommates second cousin! My old neighbor Earl had a little piece of Amberjacks ownership, and owned the branch the opened (and quickly closed) across from Stonebridge in Milford.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
When he wasn't slinging white out back? I do remember the two hot bartenders from Amberjacks, one was my UConn roommates second cousin!
While I never wanted to believe that, it also wouldn't surprise me. I'd like to believe that he at least wasn't partaking himself. We were close friends for awhile in late 80s/early 90s. Actually taught me a lot about the restaurant business and managing margins. He's out on the left coast now in energy. And you probably know that when I posted this in the thread about back pain, that was Steve's car.

Anyway, I'll be up in Danbury next weekend. Pretty much all my lunches and dinners are accounted for, but are there any good Latino/Mexican breakfast spots in the area with decent coffee and chilaquiles?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Anyway, I'll be up in Danbury next weekend. Pretty much all my lunches and dinners are accounted for, but are there any good Latino/Mexican breakfast spots in the area with decent coffee and chilaquiles?

whelp too far, but if you were up my way we'd head to La Llrona ( a new "progressive" mexican place in Niantic, its really good)

09d12187-.JPG

Reaction Score
Speaking of “progressive Mexican” I went rogue with my lunch today. Combined Mexican and Ethiopian leftovers to put together
  • A base of injera
  • Ful, an Ethiopian fava bean dish with tomatoes, onions and berbere seasoning
  • Leftover black beans with sofrito
  • No sour cream so added a scoop of 2% Greek yogurt
  • A fried egg
Overall, it’s pretty good. Spicy, a bit funky but a decent lunch on a cooler Monday. And this was made before I’ll try edibles tonight for the first time in a year.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Speaking of “progressive Mexican” I went rogue with my lunch today. Combined Mexican and Ethiopian leftovers to put together
  • A base of injera
  • Ful, an Ethiopian fava bean dish with tomatoes, onions and berbere seasoning
  • Leftover black beans with sofrito
  • No sour cream so added a scoop of 2% Greek yogurt
  • A fried egg
Overall, it’s pretty good. Spicy, a bit funky but a decent lunch on a cooler Monday. And this was made before I’ll try edibles tonight for the first time in a year.
IIRC, you've made (or attempted making) your own injera. If so, what's the recipe?

I've always resisted making Ethiopian at home as when we're in a restaurant, portions are small and we usually order 6-8 different things, so that's what I'm used to, and I'm not cooking that long for that little. But love the cuisine and this sounds like it could have promise.

Reaction Score
IIRC, you've made (or attempted making) your own injera. If so, what's the recipe?

I've always resisted making Ethiopian at home as when we're in a restaurant, portions are small and we usually order 6-8 different things, so that's what I'm used to, and I'm not cooking that long for that little. But love the cuisine and this sounds like it could have promise.
Haha, I've tried but it was disgusting, so I will not recommend the recipe.

Like you said, I also avoid making Ethiopian at home as I'd rather stick to the experts at Teff in Stamford, even though I bust out the berbere seasoning every once in a while.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
whelp too far, but if you were up my way we'd head to La Llrona ( a new "progressive" mexican place in Niantic, its really good)

09d12187-.JPG
The appetizer menu is unique and sounds incredible.

And they have Jarritos grapefruit to make a proper Paloma.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I've never had breakfast there, but Amigos Deli on West Street has a great Latin/Dominican steam table, a real good Cuban Sandwich and tremendous roasted ribs and chicken. I'd say less than 20% of the patrons speak English as their first language. Its also got an in-house carneceria with some interesting cuts of meat.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Route 80 right at the East Haven/North Branford line is a plaza on the south side. There is a little place called Taco Palace. Very tasty "authentic" Mexican.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Route 80 right at the East Haven/North Branford line is a plaza on the south side. There is a little place called Taco Bell. Very tasty "authentic" Mexican.

LOL Dove comes in with the Taco Bell rec.

Shut up Dove.

Reaction Score
Los Garcia in Waterbury behind the mall is legit. It's a massive food truck. You bring your food inside their building where they have a taco bar with all sorts of pickled vegetables, hot peppers, and probably a dozen different sauces in squeeze bottles. They have birria tacos with consomme, al pastor, and lengua.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Poblanitas in Bridgeport has great tacos de birria. Bartaco is "authentic" Mexican made by white people, but it is good.
Someone mentioned Señor Salsa but I feel like it is really greasy even for Mexican and has a bitter taste (not cilantro).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom