Mets Hot Stove '21-'22 | The Boneyard

Mets Hot Stove '21-'22

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Here is our list of free agents. Plus JD Davis is arbitration eligible and Jake's contract is up in 2022.

Javier Baez SS28.8RRNYM$11,650,000$24,158,172
Dellin Betances RP33.5RRNYM$6,000,000-
Michael Conforto RF28.5LRNYM$12,250,000$18,812,424
Jerad Eickhoff SP31.2RRNYM$1,250,000-
Jeurys Familia RP31.9RRNYM$11,666,668-
Brad Hand RP31.5LLNYM$10,500,000-
Heath Hembree RP32.7RRNYM$1,250,000-
Rich Hill SP41.5LLNYM$2,500,000-
Aaron Loup RP33.8LLNYM$3,000,000-
Cameron Maybin RF34.4RRNYM$570,500-
Kevin Pillar CF32.7RRNYM$2,900,000-
Marcus Stroman SP30.3RRNYM$18,900,000$21,040,096
Noah Syndergaard SP29.0LRNYM$9,700,000$29,258,183
Jonathan Villar OF30.3SRNYM$3,550,000
Pillar has a player option.

I think they sign Loup, Pillar picks up his option and they sign Stroman and Syndergaard.

I would really like to see them sign Baez.

I hope we have our eyes on a top third baseman with a great bat. Not sure who is out there but I am ready to move on from the JD Davis experiment, and I think someone else will pay Villar more to be an everyday player.

I wouldn't go out of my way for Conforto. We need a more reliable bat and I'm not sure we can count on him to reach and stay at that level again.

Beyond that, are we back in the catcher market?

And can we bring in another potential number one or two starter for our rotation?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Here is our list of free agents. Plus JD Davis is arbitration eligible and Jake's contract is up in 2022.

I think they sign Loup, Pillar picks up his option and they sign Stroman and Syndergaard.

I would really like to see them sign Baez.

I hope we have our eyes on a top third baseman with a great bat. Not sure who is out there but I am ready to move on from the JD Davis experiment, and I think someone else will pay Villar more to be an everyday player.

I wouldn't go out of my way for Conforto. We need a more reliable bat and I'm not sure we can count on him to reach and stay at that level again.

Beyond that, are we back in the catcher market?

And can we bring in another potential number one or two starter for our rotation?

Pillar will pick up that option, but hopefully they don't feel the need to keep him for $2.9 million. Hopefully they re-sign Baez. As for a top 3rd baseman with a great bat, may I interest you in Kris Bryant?

Agreed on Conforto. Offer him the QO, but I expect he'll decline and unless his market is really depressed and we can get him cheap, just let him go and take the draft pick. We're probably not in the catcher market for anything more than a 2-year deal at the most, since Alvarez will likely be ready at some point in 2023 -- maybe sooner if he continues hitting the crap out of the ball like he did this year.

If there's a luxury tax threshold with the new CBA (assuming, of course, that there is a new CBA by the start of next season), I hope Cohen blows past it. What's the point of having the richest owner in the game if he's not going to flex his financial muscle? Fill every hole on the team. If it costs nothing more than money, then bring in the player. Bring on the drunken sailor spending!

Reaction Score
For me the biggest thing is what is Cohen going to spend. I saw a reddit post that said factoring in arbitration raises and Cano coming back, the team has about $40 to spend on FA to equal the current payroll. If he's going to keep the budget somewhat flat, then I think I would prefer a short rebuild. If he's willing to bump the spending up to $230-$250M then it's game on.

-Either way, I'd extend the qualifying offer to Conforto and let him walk.
-I don't think I'd extend one to Thor because I think he just takes it. I think i'd be more likely to approach him on either a 1 year deal with a player option (say 1/10 if he opts out or 2/25 if he takes it) or see if he's willing to take more guaranteed money for a lower AAV (ie 4/50).
-I'd like to extend Baez but honestly don't know what they are planning on doing with Cano. If Baez is willing to take a bit of a discount to stay (loves Lindor and NY), then I wouldn't let Cano stop them. Something around 6/125 works. I don't want him 8 years from now as I'm afraid he won't age well and then we just have another Cano clogging the roster.
-I don't see Bryant leaving the Giants and am not sure I want to spend big there considering guys coming up in the farm.
-I'm not overly high on Davis and would sell him if someone is willing to give up good assets.
-Smith i wanted to trade last off-season but now i feel like you have to keep him and hope he rebuilds value, but again I'd trade him for a decent asset.
-Pitching is tough. I want Stro back but have no idea what he's going to command. If it's something like what Wheeler got then sure. If he's getting 7+ years and close to 200M, I think i let him walk.
-Loup I definitely bring back. I don't really know what else is out there as a FA, but you can always find arms since most of them are a crap shoot year to year.

The farm actually has some talent coming. Both Vientos and Baty give us a few shots to get a long term 3B. I think Mauricio is our most likely trade chip since SS is locked down for another decade. Alvarez has continued to crush the ball and that, combined with how few good catchers there are, makes me feel comfortable with sticking with McCann/Nido for the next year/two.

If the team isn't going to spend big, then I think they need to look at the older players who are coming up on FA and start gauging interests on trades. This helps rebuild the farm and would set the team up to spend big the following year. Guys that fall into this camp are Nimmo (love him but he has trouble staying healthy), Diaz (not a fan of paying him long term), McNeil (I'd rather keep him to see if he rebounds since he has a few years left), Walker (like him and I'm hoping he just ran out of steam after missing so much time) and Carassco (his ERA was pitiful in the 1st inning then really good after so...i have no idea).

Of course the big elephant in the room is would they consider trading deGrom. I wouldn't because I love him so much and have been tracking his HoF chances for years. However, he's going to opt out after next season and allegedly the FO balked when they heard what he wanted to formally extend his deal. I would hate trading him, but would want to burn Citi to the ground if he walks as a FA and we get nothing in return. The Dodgers have an insane farm system and seem to have some minor issues with Bauer. They could probably get a massive haul shipping him to LA.

Reaction Score
Pillar will 100% walk, he has a $2.9M option but if he declines it converts to a team option with a $1.5M buyout which the Mets would decline.

Conforto and Syndergaard get the QO without a second thought. Syndergaard will most likely accept, but with Conforto's last month I think he walks unfortunately now.

Re-sign Baez at whatever it takes, my guess is 6/$150M but wouldn't be surprised if it's higher

Loup has already expressed wanting to come back so he should be back for something like 2/$16M

2/3 of Davis/Dom/McNeil are gone and I wouldn't be shocked if it's all 3. I hope they keep Davis as the DH, but they may just roll with Cano there.

All of that and you're looking at this team going into FA and whatever you're bringing back in the trades for young bats. Solid start and I'd expect them to blow through the luxury tax with a big addition on top of this

SP: deGrom, Syndergaard, Carrasco, Walker, Megill, Peterson
RP: Diaz, Lugo, May, Loup

C - McCann
1B - Alonso
2B - Baez
SS - Lindor
3B -
LF - Nimmo
CF -
RF -
DH - Cano

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Pillar will 100% walk, he has a $2.9M option but if he declines it converts to a team option with a $1.5M buyout which the Mets would decline.

Conforto and Syndergaard get the QO without a second thought. Syndergaard will most likely accept, but with Conforto's last month I think he walks unfortunately now.

Re-sign Baez at whatever it takes, my guess is 6/$150M but wouldn't be surprised if it's higher

Loup has already expressed wanting to come back so he should be back for something like 2/$16M

2/3 of Davis/Dom/McNeil are gone and I wouldn't be shocked if it's all 3. I hope they keep Davis as the DH, but they may just roll with Cano there.

All of that and you're looking at this team going into FA and whatever you're bringing back in the trades for young bats. Solid start and I'd expect them to blow through the luxury tax with a big addition on top of this

SP: deGrom, Syndergaard, Carrasco, Walker, Megill, Peterson
RP: Diaz, Lugo, May, Loup

C - McCann
1B - Alonso
2B - Baez
SS - Lindor
3B -
LF - Nimmo
CF -
RF -
DH - Cano
So we don’t sign Strohman?

Reaction Score
So we don’t sign Strohman?
I would be surprised, though I hope he comes back. Can't see both him and Syndergaard back and Syndergaard seems more likely. Even with Cohen I don't think they're going to be completely reckless with spending on long term deals, and Baez will definitely need one and I think they'll give another one in FA to fill all the holes they have in the lineup right now

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Any word on why Baez didn't play the last two games? Rojas said it wasn't injury related, but gave no other details. I didn't see anything from any of our beat writers.

Reaction Score
Uncle Steve has a quick trigger finger. Not sure how I feel about that. Has a little Steinbrenner in him at times.

Reaction Score
Obviously Rojas had to go, now the million dollar question is what the next moves are.. I saw a list of possible managers that included Buck Showalter, Walt Weiss, Ron Washington etc... I don't really love any of those names.. Do we hire Beltran and consider it time served? I don't know what the right answer is. Do we hire Beane and Melvin in a package deal?

As far as players.. I think Conforto is gone and I'm fine with that. Never reached his potential, he may do that elsewhere.. I think Stroman is gone as well. someone will pay him. Thor will be back, I have no doubt in my mind. Pillar is whatever, would like him but he'll probably go get paid..

I think McNeil/Dom Smith will bring a nice return, whether it's an OF to replace Conforto or pitching depth, one of them has to go if not both.

What do we do with Cano?

Reaction Score
Obviously Rojas had to go, now the million dollar question is what the next moves are.. I saw a list of possible managers that included Buck Showalter, Walt Weiss, Ron Washington etc... I don't really love any of those names.. Do we hire Beltran and consider it time served? I don't know what the right answer is. Do we hire Beane and Melvin in a package deal?

As far as players.. I think Conforto is gone and I'm fine with that. Never reached his potential, he may do that elsewhere.. I think Stroman is gone as well. someone will pay him. Thor will be back, I have no doubt in my mind. Pillar is whatever, would like him but he'll probably go get paid..

I think McNeil/Dom Smith will bring a nice return, whether it's an OF to replace Conforto or pitching depth, one of them has to go if not both.

What do we do with Cano?
I'd want to keep McNeil. Versatile, good bat, seems like a good clubhouse guy. Dom just lost his spot when a) Alonso emerged and b) he is a liability in the OF.

Reaction Score

This should make it an easy decision to extend the QO to Conforto and Syndergaard

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
My buddy is at the Joe Torre Foundation dinner in NYC tonight. Everyone who's anyone in NY spots scene is there, except Steve Cohen. Only thing they are talking about is the Knicks and the Mets GM search. Goo Goo Dolls are the entertainment, waiting to see if Bernie Williams sits in for a song or two.

Reaction Score
Instead of hiring Brodie they probably should have went with their other finalist Chaim Bloom.

Reaction Score
Eppler would be a solid choice. Really just a stopgap until Sandy is gone and they hire Stearns next offseason

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Eppler would be a solid choice. Really just a stopgap until Sandy is gone and they hire Stearns next offseason
That’s why it’s meh. We’re still in limbo. We struck out on the first dozen choices or so and it’s become pretty obvious in the process that no one worth their salt wants to work for Cohen because he’s just a super-rich fan who bought a team, and he tweets against his own people. Maybe the hope is that Eppler’s friendship with Stearns will help them get Stearns, but a year is a long time and I’m sure Stearns will have options.

Reaction Score
That’s why it’s meh. We’re still in limbo. We struck out on the first dozen choices or so and it’s become pretty obvious in the process that no one worth their salt wants to work for Cohen because he’s just a super-rich fan who bought a team, and he tweets against his own people. Maybe the hope is that Eppler’s friendship with Stearns will help them get Stearns, but a year is a long time and I’m sure Stearns will have options.
I think you're half right there, I think it's that nobody wants to come here and work under Sandy. No matter how much Sandy says he's stepping away from the baseball side I think people just don't believe him. Stearns will have options but he grew up a Mets fan and has made it clear if he leaves Milwaukee it's for the Mets, the Brewers have just made sure that hasn't happened so far

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think you're half right there, I think it's that nobody wants to come here and work under Sandy. No matter how much Sandy says he's stepping away from the baseball side I think people just don't believe him. Stearns will have options but he grew up a Mets fan and has made it clear if he leaves Milwaukee it's for the Mets, the Brewers have just made sure that hasn't happened so far
Sandy is a problem too. And his son is assistant GM? That‘s got to end.

Reaction Score
This is at least a start, glad Sandy isn't making the decisions anymore

Reaction Score
Just thinking here.....

1) Cohen as the owner has shown he's willing to do what it takes. Lindor, Baez type moves. He's a new owner.

2) The coaching spot took a left turn when they hired/fired Beltran. They were as patient as they needed to be and cut bait.

3) GM. Wow. They hired Jaret Porter, then fired him because of inappropriate text messages. Then they hired Zack Scott then fired him for a DUI.

Glass half empty? They are missing the mark on very important management positions, especially with character. Glass half full, the guy at the top has the money and desire to figure it out and....we got hit with a few bad apples we didn't see coming.

I guess when I re-read that? Trust in Uncle Steve?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom